What is your opinion on RBCD ammo???

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

KinnyLee
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KinnyLee »

stevie_d_64 wrote: He's probably got every barrel they have ever made up there, so my only "funny" quirk I have is how do you "really" sight in a NV scope???

Oh well, we'll figure something out somehow...
NV + EOTech 552 NV compatible. Done! :lol:

Topic author
stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 9

Post by stevie_d_64 »

KinnyLee wrote:
stevie_d_64 wrote: He's probably got every barrel they have ever made up there, so my only "funny" quirk I have is how do you "really" sight in a NV scope???

Oh well, we'll figure something out somehow...
NV + EOTech 552 NV compatible. Done! :lol:
I've got the 511 mounted on my evil "black rifle", its got the variable intensity reticle...

But that would mean I'd have to take it off though...That would make me sad...

And putting all that on top of a TC would require a custom rail...

Either that, or I try to get a NV scope for the evil "black rifle"...And that would make me happy...

At that point, who would care what a .223/5.56 would do to a piggy...

I can imagine the good ole boy Game Warden nieghbor of mine might have a slight problem with hearing a higher than normal rate of fire after the sun goes down up there... :lol:
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Lonegun1894
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Lonegun1894 »

last time i asked a game warden, i was told shooting them at night was legal since pigs arent considered game. He said even spotlighting them was legal, but to give him a courtesy call so he wasnt getting called out on a poaching call, when he could just call you the next day and ask how many you tagged instead and if you had a good time. This was a few years ago (2-3) and havent checked into it since, but you might wanna give them a call and make sure before you go off and do this. But at least at that time, it was still legal.
Paul
USN/USMC '00-'05
CHL/NRA/Hunter Safety instructor
TCLEOSE

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flintknapper »

Lonegun1894 wrote:last time i asked a game warden, i was told shooting them at night was legal since pigs arent considered game. He said even spotlighting them was legal, but to give him a courtesy call so he wasnt getting called out on a poaching call, when he could just call you the next day and ask how many you tagged instead and if you had a good time. This was a few years ago (2-3) and havent checked into it since, but you might wanna give them a call and make sure before you go off and do this. But at least at that time, it was still legal.

Your information is both correct and current. Hogs are considered "non-game" animals...and may be hunted at anytime, by any means, with no bag limits . A courtesy call is always a good idea if you plan to hunt Hogs at night. This is true when varmint hunting as well. Most of the Hog hunting I do is at night when they are most active. We are pretty much covered up with them.....and they receive little mercy.

Lonegun1894

Post by Lonegun1894 »

if you ever need help killin a few piggies, and i can get the time off school, let me know. But it sounds like yo are handling the "problem" quite well, and having some fun in the meantime too.
Paul
USN/USMC '00-'05
TCLEOSE

Plink
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Plink »

I have 2 comments on frangible ammo. First off is price. Some is very expensive. Expensive enough to not practice with it to make sure it's 100% reliable in the intended gun. Some brands aren't all that reliable in autoloaders and I'd sure want to shoot enough to know for a fact that it's 100%. Mostly I worry about lack of penetration.

It seems low penetration rounds are becoming popular lately, but even Magsafes and Glasers can penetrate walls and injure or kill those on the other side. If you will indulge me for a moment, next time you're dry firing, go aim at yourself in the mirror. Imagine that is the bad guy. What are the odds that your bullet will need to penetrate hands/arms before hitting the torso?

I followed an eye opening link(http://www.firearmstactical.com/tactica ... cle432.htm ) the other day and it really reinforced what I already strongly believed. A frangible or pre fragmented round that breaks up on the way to the torso is not going to have much effect when it gets there. If a bullet doesn't get into the boiler room, it isn't gonna stop the engine.

I don't always go for the heaviest bullet in a given caliber, but I certainly won't use the lightest. I won't use 185 grain in my .45s or 115 grain in my 9mms. I'm certainly no expert, and I'll never have a need to shoot through car doors or windshields like a LEO might, but I can see that there can still be other barriers to penetrate.

Expansion in clay and duct seal might look impressive, but it tends to exagerate bullet performance in tissue. Frangibles do a lot of tissue damage alright, but they do it rather shallowly. Not deep enough to reach the vitals needed to shut down an attack now. If they need to pass through an arm on the way, all that's left is fragments to penetrate the torso. Just the pictures in the link above is enough to answer a lot of questions.
Mike

Topic author
stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Plink wrote:Expansion in clay and duct seal might look impressive, but it tends to exagerate bullet performance in tissue. Frangibles do a lot of tissue damage alright, but they do it rather shallowly. Not deep enough to reach the vitals needed to shut down an attack now. If they need to pass through an arm on the way, all that's left is fragments to penetrate the torso. Just the pictures in the link above is enough to answer a lot of questions.
Thats true, but I believe the experiment shooting into clay and duct seal is fairly accurate to what it can do...And that is leave a massive wounding channel and plenty of energy to shock bodily processes...With a low probability of penetration beyond the intended target...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

Topic author
stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

BTW, I;ve heard mixed information, and since I am not an avid hunter, I would like a consensus...

Do you need a hunting license for ferrel pigs??? Since they are not deemed "game" animals, therefore how do you regulate or justify tagging what you kill??? On your own property if they are considered a nuisance???

I have been told both stories...One said you do need a "general" hunting license??? and the other has stated you do not...
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

Lonegun1894

Post by Lonegun1894 »

if you are actually hunting them, you need a license. If they are causing damage and you just want to exterminate them, you do not need a license as long as it is your land or the land of someone who has given you permission to do the killing for them.
Paul
USN/USMC '00-'05
TCLEOSE

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”