How long for DPS to process your CHL

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

How long did it take for DPS to process your new or renewal CHL?

New - 60 days or less
48%
New - 61 to 70 days
15%
New - 71 to 80 days
15%
Renewal - 45 days or less
5%
Renewal - 46 to 60 days
5%
Renewal - 61 to 70 days
3%
Additional Processing Time - Timely issued
4%
Additional Processing Time - Not timely issued
6%

Total votes: 340

Geopagus
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Geopagus »

Is it just me or does it seem like women are getting their CHL's much faster than men? This is something like the 3rd post I've read of such being the case. Furthermore, jbenat states that he and his wife sent in their apps. on Jan. 2nd. Excuse me? Jan. 2nd, 2006? And your wife already has her CHL? My app. was received by DPS on Dec. 12, 2005 and Im still at "processing application". My record is spotless as far as I'm concerned, all the way down to excellent credit history. Is it time to call an attorney?!? Or should I just preach to the choir. :nopity
This is absolutely absurd. :banghead: Yeah, I know Ill get my CHL eventually, but it wont seem like sweet justice after this ridiculous wait time. And yeah I know, Geopagus now sounds like a broken record. Once again, I digress and wont post on this particular thread anymore till I receive that elusive CHL. Day 76 and counting............... :headscratch

jbenat
Posts in topic: 29

Must be a bunch of women.....

Post by jbenat »

There must be a bunch of women working for the state that hate men! My record isn't perfect but not too bad, ex Army with Top Secret Security Clearance at the time, only arrested for P. I. once over thirty years ago and a good record since. Do you think a P. I. that long ago would matter? I'm beginning to try to remember everything I ever did that might be of some interest to the FBI. Can't think of anything! Actually my life has been pretty normal. Guess I'll just wait. In the mean time the wife will have to protect me.

dubya
Posts in topic: 17

Post by dubya »

I submitted online 12/29 and got the package back to processing the next week. I did have one glitch where I needed to submit more documentation for US citizen born overseas that I got back to them the next day. It helps to hear comments about processing times to know where the norm is. Geopagus keep on ranting so we will know ours have not fallen into a hole of their own!

aggie dad
Posts in topic: 9

Post by aggie dad »

I am also beginning to think this depends who at DPS handles your application and whether or not they do any follow-up on the background checks that are taking too long. :sad:

Doug

Geopagus

Post by Geopagus »

I know, I know. I stated in my last post on this thread that I wouldnt say anything else until I received my CHL. Well, I am a man of my word, but after seeing dubya's post I felt a change of heart.

dubya wrote:
Geopagus keep on ranting so we will know ours have not fallen into a hole of their own!
Heh, it's nice to see that I'm not annoying everyone with my ranting and that it is actually helping in terms of my waiting time giving something to measure against. ;-)

Aggie Dad, you and I are about 2 days apart from each other in terms of when our applications were received by DPS. It'll be interesting to see who gets their CHL first. ;-)

Hope everyone is doing well. This forum seems to posess a very friendly and informative lot and for that I am thankful.

fire128
Posts in topic: 4

Post by fire128 »

Am I dreaming or what? I posted the other day that I had just recieved my pin#(came in mail 2/25) Decided to check the website not five minutes ago HOOOOYAAAAHHH its says application status ACTIVE!!!! :razz: :razz: :razz: Lets see how long the mail takes it to get here!!! They recieved my packet on 1/31/06....Thats less than 30 days!!!!

fire128
Posts in topic: 4

Post by fire128 »

Nope...not dreaming...just checked again....it says license issued!!!! Only prob is my Highnoon holster still isnt here :sad: :sad: Im still happy as can be....Like I said it was 29 days total!

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 26

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

fire128 wrote: . . . Only prob is my Highnoon holster still isnt here :sad: :sad:
Oh no!! Tex. Gov't Code §411.186(x)(14) requires your handgun to be carried in a proper holster and if you don’t have one when your CHL arrives, you have to send it back to the DPS and start over again. Sorry.

Chas.

:rolll :smilelol5: :rolll

Geopagus

Post by Geopagus »

Congrats. fire128! :woohoo

nitrogen
Posts in topic: 14

Post by nitrogen »

fire128 wrote:Am I dreaming or what? I posted the other day that I had just recieved my pin#(came in mail 2/25) Decided to check the website not five minutes ago HOOOOYAAAAHHH its says application status ACTIVE!!!! :razz: :razz: :razz: Lets see how long the mail takes it to get here!!! They recieved my packet on 1/31/06....Thats less than 30 days!!!!
I hate you and I am jealous. I got my PIN before you (2/13) and I'm still waiting. Still within the 60 day timeline, though.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

TxFire
Posts in topic: 5

Post by TxFire »

They received my packet on 1/11 and I got my pin some where areound 2/8 and I still show "processing application". I am very jealous.

Geopagus

Post by Geopagus »

Nitro wrote:
Still within the 60 day timeline, though.

Nitrogen,

DPS, when reading the statutes, technically has up to 90 days to process a CHL. It's dependent upon how long they sat on an application before sending it over to the "director's designee" in your area for checks. Nasty little loophole. Day 79 for me........

nitrogen
Posts in topic: 14

Post by nitrogen »

Geopagus wrote:Nitro wrote:
Still within the 60 day timeline, though.

Nitrogen,

DPS, when reading the statutes, technically has up to 90 days to process a CHL. It's dependent upon how long they sat on an application before sending it over to the "director's designee" in your area for checks. Nasty little loophole. Day 79 for me........
Well, if it goes beyond 60 days, I'm going to play dumb and start being squeaky about it, until the minions at DPS say something to me either way.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

AirAssault
Posts in topic: 3

Post by AirAssault »

mailed my packet off priority mail on monday, february 27, 2006

jbenat
Posts in topic: 29

It's out of your hands now....

Post by jbenat »

Congrats air assault! But you might as well make yourself comfortable your in for a long wait unlees you are female. But with a name like air assault I doubt you are. Good luck.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”