Learning experience for me

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
sensei
Posts in topic: 1

Learning experience for me

Post by sensei »

I have been practicing IDPA with either my G-30 or my G-26. Not doing exceptionally well.

Yesterday I met a gentleman at the range practicing also. He was shooting a G-34.

In the course of our day he wanted to shoot my G-26 and handed me the G-34 to shoot.

I'm telling you it was like night and day. Everything I shot was in the -0 zone. Hardly any recoil, saw the sights lift and fall everytime, couldn't have asked for better results.

I don't know if it is the added length, better trigger, better sights, or what. But it was really amazing how much easier it was to shoot.

I think I'm in the market for a G-34 or at least a G-17.

sensei

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

I've seen you shoot...And you do just fine...

I do agree that a larger framed handgun for you seemed to be the direction you needed to go...

Although I like the smaller framed pistols for concealment and normal everyday carry, the noticed the competition in IDPA seems to favor those larger platforms...Even though you'll see just about every shape and form at those events...

But hey, whatever works...thats just it...

You keep pluggin' "sensei", I can't wait to see the new toy when you get it...I know yer lookin' for one now! :lol: I can just feel it... ;-)
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

DiverDn

Post by DiverDn »

Two good choices, I opted for the G34 for IDPA because it came from the factory with the "extras" already in it that folks tend to add later.

The extras being extended mag release, extended slide stop lever, 3.5# trigger connector (does not make the trigger 3.5# but it is light than the 5# connector) and adjustable sights which I have never had to adjust.

A while back there was an equipment survey in the IDPA Tactical Journal that listed what equipment was used at the Nationals, of the 91 Glocks used 44 were G34's and 25 where G17's, that only left 22 spread out over 5 different models.

http://www.idpa.com/tj.asp?ID=114

DD

TraCoun

Post by TraCoun »

Sensei,
I have a G-27, the sub-compact, and if I'm right it's the same frame size as the G-26. One problem for me was my little finger hanging off the end of the butt -- it turns out a lot of strength and control is in that finger. Anyway, I bought some extensions (as first just extensions, now I've got some +1's), and it helped a lot.

I'm not trying to talk you out of getting the larger ones, just 'talking'.

See you at PSC

TraCoun

XD_Dan

Post by XD_Dan »

I don't want to step on any toes here, but... :???:
...isn't the spirit of IDPA to gain/increase proficiency with your carry weapon?

I know it's still considered "gun gaming", but it would make sense (to me anyway) to compete with your daily carry rig.

Are you considering getting a G-34 or G-17 for daily carry? Or to become more competitive in IDPA matches?

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

I have as good friend who has a g34 and a g19. He is an execellent shot with the 34. In fact he shoots circles around everyone at the range. When switching to the G19 he doesn't loose much. He's a good shooter and practices alot. The 34 is a really good gun.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”