The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Guardian
Posts in topic: 9

Re: Weapon recommendations in my price range

Post by Guardian »

UPDATE:

I have ordered a XD compact 45 , 4 in. barrel , 10 +1 & 13 +1 clips, in the Dark Earth. Budsgunshop had them for $499 delivered and I'll pay $20 to my FFL for the transfer.
XD Compact .45

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." --Thomas Jefferson

jpierce30
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jpierce30 »

XD's are great, I have a XD9 5" that I have ran more than 2000 rounds thru it and have had no issues, except for when I got lazy and did not clean it between range visits. It told me very quickly that it needed attention. This was my fault and not the gun as is the issue most times.
The wife has a S&W M&P 9 and it is also a fine weapon.

Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

Guardian wrote:All is well, I contacted Randy @ West Texas Military Surplus and he said that he could do the transfer for $20, which I thought was pretty good. Then, I contacted Bud's and got them to change my FFL and that was not a problem either. :woohoo
Chalk it up to first purchase, now I know the process for next time.
One more thing... make sure to thank the guy/shop who did the transfer. That isn't something that people do easily because it can hurt their business - especially if it is something that they could have sold you. Grab some ammo (you need some anyway) and maybe try a few holsters or get a cleaning kit. Everyone wins. You will still end up spending less than you would have at Academy, plus the LGS makes some profit on the extras.

LedJedi

Post by LedJedi »

man... should have chimed in earlier on this and pointed you toward the Taurus 24/7. There are several reviews in my videos in my sig line. The XD is a good gun too though. You can't loose with either purchase. :anamatedbanana

I'm also a fan of the Taurus OSS and the 809 coming out soon.

Can't beat any of the Taurus guns for the price vs features and warranty.

Honestly, if i had access to an XD I'd do reviews on them as well. They're good guns.

Topic author
Guardian

Post by Guardian »

Checked the website this morning and it's in the shipping state. :anamatedbanana

I'll probably have it early this coming week but I can't wait much longer. :drool: :drool: :drool:

What can I do to pass the time until then?

Kevin
XD Compact .45

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." --Thomas Jefferson

Vic303
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Vic303 »

Congrats on your purchase! You'll love it! Get yourself an MTAC holster too. You'll love it also.

Topic author
Guardian

Post by Guardian »

Vic303 wrote:Congrats on your purchase! You'll love it! Get yourself an MTAC holster too. You'll love it also.
Yep, I was looking at this one, http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/product ... Csid=4cbc4
XD Compact .45

mgood
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mgood »

Kalrog wrote:One more thing... make sure to thank the guy/shop who did the transfer. That isn't something that people do easily because it can hurt their business - especially if it is something that they could have sold you. Grab some ammo (you need some anyway) and maybe try a few holsters or get a cleaning kit. Everyone wins. You will still end up spending less than you would have at Academy, plus the LGS makes some profit on the extras.
Good point.

BrassMonkey
Posts in topic: 4

Post by BrassMonkey »

Guardian wrote:
Vic303 wrote:Congrats on your purchase! You'll love it! Get yourself an MTAC holster too. You'll love it also.
Yep, I was looking at this one, http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/product ... Csid=4cbc4
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
BrassMonkey, that funky monkey....
===========================
Springfield TRP
Glock 22
Glock 21
Walther P22

Vic303
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Vic303 »

Guardian wrote:

That's the very one! It sets a new standard in IWB comfort! I'm serious. It is better than my VM-II was with a 1911 in it.

maverick2076

Post by maverick2076 »

Congrats on the XD. I have a 4" in .40S&W. that has been commandeered by SHMBO(She Who Must Be Obeyed).

For anyone else looking in this price range, another great option is the Steyr MA1 series. I'm on my second one, having sold the first before I deployed to Iraq in '03-'04. They were hard to come by for a while, but have become available again in the last year or so, and you can really find a great deal on them through CDNN or a couple of other places. They are available in 9mm, .40S&W, and .357 SIG. Outstanding, reliable and durable and they have what are IMHO the best quick-acquisition sights available. They also have a subcompact SA1 series in 9mm and .40S&W. I picked up my M40A1 through Fountain Firearms in Houston a few weeks ago. I can't remember who they ordered from, but it was $369.99 plus Shipping and tax. Its a phenomenal, yet little known pistol. If you are interested, there is a lot of great info about it at http://www.steyrclub.com.

Hope this helps anyone else with this particular question.

Jason73

Post by Jason73 »

Kevin, I’m glad the link to Buds helped and congratulations on your purchase, I think you will be very pleased with the XD. I bought a 4" 40 S&W a couple weeks ago and am kicking myself for not getting one sooner!

The MTAC holster is definitely the way to go if you’re looking for comfort and easy concealment - I can wear mine with a fairly tight t-shirt and still can’t tell I’m wearing it, that’s a first for any holster I’ve tried!

Jason :txflag:

BrassMonkey
Posts in topic: 4

Post by BrassMonkey »

I sure hope you look better in a tight T-Shirt than I do.
BrassMonkey, that funky monkey....
===========================
Springfield TRP
Glock 22
Glock 21
Walther P22

Topic author
Guardian

Post by Guardian »

Picked up my XD today. :woohoo
Funny how once I had it with me, even though it was in the case, it seemed like there were a higher than normal number
of cops around on the way home. Got it home and of course had to check it out. Man it feels good in my hands.
:thumbs2:
Can't wait to shoot it this next weekend.

I think I'll probably color in the etchings first and then order some new sights.
Has anyone used the sights from http://www.suresight.com before?

Thanks,
Kevin
XD Compact .45

andy123

Post by andy123 »

[quote="longtooth"]Everyone on this board knows I am NO FAN OF Gaa, gaallaa, galocks. (there I got it out) :leaving Whether I like them or not, they are reliable, quality, & popular.

I cant bring myself to say it either. I picked up my Ruger SR9C at Gt distributers. 369.99 .....501.01 For gun holster 50 Federal Hydroshocks and 100 rounds of lawman.
Ruger SR9C

Return to “New to CHL?”