Weapon recommendations in my price range

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

BobCat
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Weapon recommendations in my price range

Post by BobCat »

You can probably get a 9 mm CZ75B for under $400 new. All steel, reliable an accurate, if it fits your hand it will serve you well.

These are double action first shot, single action for all the rest, unless carried cocked and locked (Condition 1) like a 1911. There are different models - one has a conventional safety and can be carried either cocked and locked or hammer down on a chambered round (the B in the name stands for "block" - has a firing pin block like a Series 80 1911) - the other has a decocker instead, and can not be carried cocked and locked. Both have 15-round magazines.

I am not a CZ salesman. I carry one and have put lots of rounds through it. It cost well under $350 a few years ago, and I think they are still under $450 and have seen them for sale on the web for about $400. Let me check Bud's Gun Shop and maybe come back and edit this.

Oh - have fun! Pistol shooting is fun, and one of the next things on your list ought to be a .22 pistol for learning, for cheap shooting, and for introducing new people to pistols.

Regards,
Andrew
Retractable claws; the *original* concealed carry

Jason73
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jason73 »

I don't know if you have any interest in purchasing online, but Buds Guns has a S&W M&P .9 mm or .40 S&W for $439.00. Here is a link: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/adva ... 38&pto=439

Springfield XD 40 S&W 4" is the same price : http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/30988

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

frreed wrote:Look at the Bersa Mini Thunder. It comes in 9, 40 and 45. Under $400 and a high quality firearm that is easily concealed.

I have a Bersa .380 and love it. In time I will pick up a 9 or 45 in Bersa as well.
:iagree: And you can still pick up a Bersa Thunder .380 at the gun show for around $225.

You may be able to find an XD at the gun show for $400 or so, but you'll have to look. You will also need to invest in a quality holster. Don't waste your money on something that is going to tear up within a year.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

Topic author
Guardian
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Guardian »

Jason73 wrote:I don't know if you have any interest in purchasing online, but Buds Guns has a S&W M&P .9 mm or .40 S&W for $439.00. Here is a link: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/adva ... 38&pto=439

Springfield XD 40 S&W 4" is the same price : http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/30988
Alright, guys. I'm so excited. Thanks to Jason for pointing me to Bud's, I have ordered my first handgun ( http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/41838 )
and I got it for about $75 less than at Academy. I am having it delivered to the Gander Mountain here in Lubbock. Does anyone know what they charge for the transfer fee?

Thanks again,

Kevin
XD Compact .45

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." --Thomas Jefferson

tarkus

Post by tarkus »

You're having it shipped to a gun store without asking them if they do transfers? :shock:
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it's on the internet, thank a geek.

Topic author
Guardian

Post by Guardian »

First purchase probably should have spoke to them before placing order, just figured since it's a national chain that I wouldn't have a problem.
Maybe I can change the FFL it ships to before it ships out if needed. I'll call Gander Mtn in the morning.

Kevin
XD Compact .45

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." --Thomas Jefferson

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

Bud's should insist on having a copy of the tranferring dealers FFL before they ship anyway.

If they have one for Gander Mountain, then GM may be able to do the transfer for you, as Bud's probably would not have a copy of their FFL otherwise.

If they don't have an FFL on file, then they'll be in touch with you to have one sent.

By then, you should know if you need to designate another ship to location.

In the future, line up your transfer dealer first. There are threads here that list dealers for different areas. You can also go to Gunbroker's site and use their dealer lookup function to find a nearby dealer.

Then, when you purchase a gun online, you inquire whether they have an FFL on file for your dealer. If yes, all is fine. If not, then you contact your transfer dealer and request they send a copy to the selling dealer.

So you've jumped the gun, but it should be salvageable.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Topic author
Guardian

Post by Guardian »

All is well, I contacted Randy @ West Texas Military Surplus and he said that he could do the transfer for $20, which I thought was pretty good. Then, I contacted Bud's and got them to change my FFL and that was not a problem either. :woohoo
Chalk it up to first purchase, now I know the process for next time.

Now I just have to sit and wait for my XD 45 to come in. :drool:

Need to find me a IWB holster now..

Kevin
XD Compact .45

BrassMonkey
Posts in topic: 4

Post by BrassMonkey »

"Get yourself a Glock and get rid of that nickel-plated sissy pistol".
BrassMonkey, that funky monkey....
===========================
Springfield TRP
Glock 22
Glock 21
Walther P22

mgood
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mgood »

BrassMonkey wrote:"Get yourself a Glock and get rid of that nickel-plated sissy pistol".
Tommy Lee Jones?

BrassMonkey
Posts in topic: 4

Post by BrassMonkey »

Absolutely...
BrassMonkey, that funky monkey....
===========================
Springfield TRP
Glock 22
Glock 21
Walther P22

longtooth
Posts in topic: 5

Post by longtooth »

I am at your side Guardian. XD is a first class good carry.
You have done well & learned a lot through your first gun purchase.
That tells me you will learn fast concerning carry, your gear, & personal defense too.
LT
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Vic303
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Vic303 »

Shop the forums--if you want a XD, go to http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/index.php and put a WTB: ad up. Nice folks there and you can get XD45C's around 400$ pretty regularly.

Liko81

Post by Liko81 »

A 9mm or .40 under $400 makes Ruger jump out. Look for the P95 and SR9 in 9mm and the P91 in .40. They're rugged, reliable, and inexpensive. Hurry though; the P95 and P91 are older designs and Ruger's dropping them from the catalog in favor of the newer SR series, with substantiated rumors that the line will very soon include all three major defense calibers.

Smith & Wesson's M&P series are also very good, but a bit more expensive (between $450-$550 depending on model). My next gun will likely be the M&P 45.

I would stay away from Sigmas, Bersas and Tauri; they've got an attractive price and they'll work, but the failures I see at the range tend to be one of two categories; brand-new high-end autos (Kimber/Springfield 1911s, USPs, Walthers) that haven't loosened up yet, and guns under $300.

stvnaln

Post by stvnaln »

I absolutely love the XD 40 which i 0wn and have put 600 - 700 rounds through so far. I would suggest that you buy a new gun as it will likely be your security piece for some time.
Sometimes you can get a good buy on a used firearm, but be wary, and always have someone knowledgeable check out the weapon if possible before purchase.
Just my 2 cents.
S.A. XD40
RUGER 22/45 MARKIII
Taurus Ultralite 357/38
Bushmaster AR15OPC
GLOCK G26 w/clipext
I believe in a two hand grip on a cold 40.........caliber that is!

Return to “New to CHL?”