What's the Origin of Your User Name?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Re: What's the Origin of Your User Name?

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Mine comes from my own website - http://www.annoyedman.com - which I started a few years back. I am a political junkie, and a lot of what I see (in life in general too, not just politics) annoys the hell out of me. That is why I am The Annoyed Man. My superpower is that I can get REALLY annoyed. :mrgreen:

I also own The Annoyed Blog, although I am an infrequent blogger.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

spectre381
Posts in topic: 2

Post by spectre381 »

Thanks for the welcome! I've been enjoying reading the threads on this site... and getting smarter with all the good info. I use to "hang out" in Glocktalk quite a bit, but it seems like all most people in there want to do is criticize each other instead of offer helpful tips or advice to someone that may not be quite up to speed on a particular topic. I haven't seen that attitude in here... which is nice!

Then again, I'm assuming the majority (if not all) of the people here reside in, or are from, the Republic of Texas and not from the "other" territories in North America. That may explain the lack of bad "tude" in the posts here!

:txflag:
G19, G26

"If you know how to shoot, and are quite ready to shoot, the chances are that you won't have to shoot."
-- Blackjack Pershing

Sport Coach
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Sport Coach »

Sport Coach is fairly self-explanatory except for the fact that I've been Mr. Mom for the last 8 years. I've found it a bit surprising, now that I'm getting back to work because kids are in school full-time, that people have totally forgotten what I used to do. Well, people regularly tell me my kids are very well behaved and that beats an ultra distance finish any day - but is real close. The guys on the north side of Houston I've shot with the last few years like to joke with me that they don't have any want to run - that's why they have their CHL. ;-)
“Hope is an expensive commodity. It makes better sense to be prepared.” - Thucydides

Hyunchback

Post by Hyunchback »

It's actually a play on the kind of car I drive. I have a Hyundai with a hatchback. Hyunchback.

It could have been Fordkup (the most carefully pronounced nickname on the Internet :evil2: ) if I'd chosen a different vehicle.
What is Project One Million: Texas?
The "Project" is a grassroots effort to increase the number of Texans who are members of the National Rifle Association from 250.000 to 1,000,000.
http://www.projectonemilliontexas.com/

Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

In the 60's I spent 25 months in South East Asia. The men in my platoon called me "Commander Cody" because of my appreciation for the musical group Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen. That pretty much dates me for those that might remember them. I started with my name, but didn't like the internet exposure, so I recently changed it.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson USMC 1967-1970 101st. Underwater Mess Kit Repair Battalion - Spoon Platoon.

Wildscar

Post by Wildscar »

Commander Cody wrote:In the 60's I spent 25 months in South East Asia. The men in my platoon called me "Commander Cody" because of my appreciation for the musical group Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen. That pretty much dates me for those that might remember them. I started with my name, but didn't like the internet exposure, so I recently changed it.
And I thought you where just another Star Wars type. There is a clone tropper named Commander Cody in Revenge of the Sith.
Wildscar
"Far Better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt 1899
Beretta 92FS
Holster Review Resource
Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!

CodeJockey

Post by CodeJockey »

Well, I'm a software geek. I write computer programs all day long. It's boring but it pays the bills.
Always watch your six!
NRA Life Member

shaggydog

Post by shaggydog »

Commander Cody wrote:In the 60's I spent 25 months in South East Asia. The men in my platoon called me "Commander Cody" because of my appreciation for the musical group Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen. That pretty much dates me for those that might remember them. I started with my name, but didn't like the internet exposure, so I recently changed it.
Son, you're gonna drive to me drinkin if you don't stop driving that.................. well, you know the rest.

Love that song.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 23

Post by WildBill »

shaggydog wrote:
Son, you're gonna drive to me drinkin if you don't stop driving that.................. well, you know the rest.
Lost in the Ozone .... again. :cool:
NRA Endowment Member

USCGELECTROTECH

Post by USCGELECTROTECH »

I was a Electronics Tech in the US Coast Guard, stationed in Portsmouth, VA on a 270ft Med Endurance cutter (WMEC 911).
Taurus PT145 MIL PRO (Carry Gun)
NRA
USCG (01-04 Blown Knee)
Semper Paratus

57Coastie

Post by 57Coastie »

Howdy, USCGELECTROTECH. :cheers2:

You can probably guess from my user name that I went into "The Old Guard" in 1957. Last year marked my 30th year retired from the CG. I and my wife all those years are now retired again (for the third and last time!), living the good life on a Texas beach with our three cats. I have held my Texas CHL long enough to have now had three renewals. I still visit the range at least weekly, shooting both handguns and long guns. My favorite weapon, of many, is my 92 year-old M1911 I acquired almost 50 years ago while on an isolated Alaska rock with the only life being our Loran station. I can't begin to count how many thousands of rounds I have fired with this marvelous weapon, in both military and NRA competition and just for fun. I was introduced to the M1911, BTW, in Cape May, back when the CG used a real handgun. The love affair has never ended.

Altogether I guess this really dates me. ;-)

Jim

USCGELECTROTECH

Post by USCGELECTROTECH »

JIM, Good to hear from another Coastie. I agree with "back when the CG used a real handgun", I was trained on the Beretta 9mm :grumble . I got out about 3 years ago with a bad knee, they told me if I was not worldwide deployable of 6 months your out. I was # 12 on the ET2 list and they took me off for medical, I would have made it. :rules: GRRRRRR But oh well I had a great time. I live right by Ellington field. Let me know what range you go to, I'm still looking for a good one.

ANDREW :patriot:
Taurus PT145 MIL PRO (Carry Gun)
NRA
USCG (01-04 Blown Knee)
Semper Paratus

LarryH

Post by LarryH »

Andrew, if you're right by Ellington, the PSC range between Friendswood and Alvin, along FM528, is pretty close. It's a membership range, so you have to join and get oriented, but that's minor.

Lochinvar

Post by Lochinvar »

O young Lochinvar is come out of the west,
Through all the wide Border his steed was the best;
And save his good broadsword he weapons had none,
He rode all unarm'd, and he rode all alone.
So faithful in love, and so dauntless in war,
There never was knight like the young Lochinvar.
He staid not for brake, and he stopp'd not for stone,
He swam the Eske river where ford there was none;
But ere he alighted at Netherby gate,
The bride had consented, the gallant came late:
For a laggard in love, and a dastard in war,
Was to wed the fair Ellen of brave Lochinvar.

So boldly he enter'd the Netherby Hall,
Among bride's-men, and kinsmen, and brothers and all:
Then spoke the bride's father, his hand on his sword,
(For the poor craven bridegroom said never a word,)
"O come ye in peace here, or come ye in war,
Or to dance at our bridal, young Lord Lochinvar?"

"I long woo'd your daughter, my suit you denied; --
Love swells like the Solway, but ebbs like its tide --
And now I am come, with this lost love of mine,
To lead but one measure, drink one cup of wine.
There are maidens in Scotland more lovely by far,
That would gladly be bride to the young Lochinvar."

The bride kiss'd the goblet: the knight took it up,
He quaff'd off the wine, and he threw down the cup.
She look'd down to blush, and she look'd up to sigh,
With a smile on her lips and a tear in her eye.
He took her soft hand, ere her mother could bar, --
"Now tread we a measure!" said young Lochinvar.

So stately his form, and so lovely her face,
That never a hall such a gailiard did grace;
While her mother did fret, and her father did fume
And the bridegroom stood dangling his bonnet and plume;
And the bride-maidens whisper'd, "'twere better by far
To have match'd our fair cousin with young Lochinvar."

One touch to her hand, and one word in her ear,
When they reach'd the hall-door, and the charger stood near;
So light to the croupe the fair lady he swung,
So light to the saddle before her he sprung!
"She is won! we are gone, over bank, bush, and scaur;
They'll have fleet steeds that follow," quoth young Lochinvar.

There was mounting 'mong Graemes of the Netherby clan;
Forsters, Fenwicks, and Musgraves, they rode and they ran:
There was racing and chasing on Cannobie Lee,
But the lost bride of Netherby ne'er did they see.
So daring in love, and so dauntless in war,
Have ye e'er heard of gallant like young Lochinvar?

I married a girl that lived East of me and that was dating another guy. Close enough for government work.

57Coastie

Post by 57Coastie »

Tech,

I use the Texas City Municipal Shooting Range. Here is its web site, which includes directions. http://www.texas-city-tx.org/ShootingRange.htm

I have been to many a range in my time, and this one is my favorite. Great service, real range safety officers, and a great bunch of guys. I live in Crystal Beach, on the Bolivar Peninsula, so it takes me a ferry ride and some time to get there, but I am there one or two times a week.

I have met several Coasties and ex-Coasties there, BTW.

Jim

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”