ALERT: AMC Theaters have posted 30.06

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Re: ALERT: AMC Theaters have posted 30.06

Post by srothstein »

Lucky45 wrote:Is it written somewhere that you have to be selling acohol to be able to use that TABC ..the unlicensed possession....sign???? Or can anyone use that sign????
You cannot use that sign since it does specify that the offense is a felony. You could make up a sign just like it that does not refer to licensed premises though.
Steve Rothstein

ScubaSigGuy

Post by ScubaSigGuy »

This doesn't make me happy. Has anyone checked the theater at Stonebriar Center?
S.S.G.

"A champion doesn’t become a champion in the ring. He is merely recognized in the ring.The ‘becoming’ happens during his daily routine." Joe Louis

NRA MEMBER

M9FAN
Posts in topic: 7

Post by M9FAN »

stevie_d_64 wrote: ... AMC Gulfpoint 30 theater is a stones throw from us...Guess I'll wander over there tomorrow and see if it is posted as well...I won't be surprised if it is...
The wife and I were at the AMC Gulfpoint 30 theater this past Saturday and it, too, IS posted. (Two signs at two entrances, both of which are in English and Spanish). However, the signs are NOT compliant for the following reasons.

B) a sign posted on the property that: (i) includes the language described by
Paragraph (A) in both English and Spanish; (ii) appears in contrasting colors with
block letters at least one inch in height
; and (iii) is displayed in a conspicuous manner
clearly visible to the public.

Needless to say, I walked right on past those signs and into the theater without thinking twice about it. Hope I was okay in doing so...
"Upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all." - Alexander the Great

Lucky45
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Lucky45 »

M9FAN wrote:Needless to say, I walked right on past those signs and into the theater without thinking twice about it. Hope I was okay in doing so...
"rlol" Sound like you were insecure with your decision. Did you have anything planned to say to arresting officer? Just be sure in YOUR MIND before the cross that sign next time.
If you don't stand for something, then you will fall for anything.

M9FAN
Posts in topic: 7

Post by M9FAN »

Lucky45 wrote:
M9FAN wrote:Needless to say, I walked right on past those signs and into the theater without thinking twice about it. Hope I was okay in doing so...
"rlol" Sound like you were insecure with your decision. Did you have anything planned to say to arresting officer? Just be sure in YOUR MIND before the cross that sign next time.
You're right, I was a bit nervous with my decision. :leaving As for a possible response to an arresting officer, I was simply prepared to say that I was not given proper notice. (After all, the letters on the sign were not to standard with regard to their size and lack of contrasting colors). Would that not have been a valid response/defense?

Anyone ever been caught with their weapon in a facility where the posted 30.06 sign was non-compliant?
"Upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all." - Alexander the Great

LedJedi
Posts in topic: 6

Post by LedJedi »

nitrogen wrote:Lovely. I cannot wait for the eventual argument from my wife when i tell her taht we can't go to the theater that's literally a mile from us.
ditto. - they had such comfortable seating too.

DoubleActionCHL
Posts in topic: 15

Post by DoubleActionCHL »

Contact information:

The following is contact information for Melanie Bell, the lady who made the official anti-ccw statement for AMC Corporation:

MEDIA CONTACT
AMC Entertainment Inc.
Melanie Bell, 816.480.2560
mbell@amctheatres.com

Feel free to email her directly or give her a call.

http://www.doubleactionchl.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Houston, Texas

"Excuses are for tombstones. Get back in the fight."
--Me

nitrogen
Posts in topic: 4

Post by nitrogen »

Here's a copy of the letter I sent to Mrs. Bell:
Dear Mrs. Bell,

I'm writing you in regards to your theater's anti-firearms policy; in specific, in Texas, your decision to post signs barring good citizens legal concealed carry of weapons.

I wanted to bring a few things to your attention about this matter.

First, I am an avid moviewatcher. My wife and I usually see movies together most every weekends. Now, due to your policy, I will be more than happy to visit another theater, farther away.

Second, I'd like to bring to your attention a few facts about how the laws in Texas work in regards to carrying of weapons.
In order to legally carry a concealed handun in Texas, you must meet the following criteria:
1) You must not have any felony convictions on your records. Expungements do not count, meaning even if your felony convition was expunged, you STILL cannot legally carry a handgun in public
2) You must not have any class A or B misdemeanor convictions on your record for the past 5 years.
3) You cannot be convicted of ANY domestic violence misdemeanor offenses.
4) You cannot have any pending or existing protective orders against you
5) You cannot be "Mentally Defective", basically an archaic legal term meaning unable to handle your own affairs, or committed involuntarily to a mental institution.
6) You cannot be chemically dependant on alcohol or other drugs
7) You cannot be in default to the State of Texas for any student loans, taxes, or child support.

As you can see, not just anyone can legally bring a handgun into your theaters. If someone doesn't meet these requirements, they are already breaking the law.

While you might think that barring your clientele from carrying legally concealed handguns might make your theaters safer, I might point out exactly the opposite might happen. Concealed Handgun License holders are a far more law-abiding group than most, and if they legally have a CHL, you automatically know 7 things about them that you don't know about your other customers. In effect, you'll be turning away your most law abiding customers.

I urge you to bring this to the attention of your upper management. Until this policy is reconsidered, I will be watching movies at one of your competitors, Cinemark, located at 7201 N. Central Expressway, Plano, TX. I'll be driving over 20 miles away, instead of visiting your theater that is less than 2 miles away. I'll be letting everyone in my shooting club, as well as everyone I know in the right-to-carry forums I frequent about your policy, and urge them to to the same.

While this might seem like something that's not a big deal, to many of us, it is.

When I am legally allowed to carry my handgun in your theater, I'll gladly give my business back to AMC.

Thanks for your time,
[Nitrogen]
[Phone Number]
[Address]
[email]
AMC Moviewatcher member, #xxxxxxx
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

nitrogen

Post by nitrogen »

Also, I'd urge any of you planning to go to the movies to take some extra time to make or buy some "no guns, no money" cards. Leave for the movies early, and stop at your local AMC, and leave one of these cards at the box office.

My template for such cards are below:

Here's what they look like:
Here are larger images suitable for hjigh quality printing.
http://www.nurgle.net/guns/noguns-front.jpg
http://www.nurgle.net/guns/noguns-back.jpg
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

zbordas

Post by zbordas »

I sent an e-mail to Mel. I hope she gets the point. In the meantime I will try to avoid going into any AMC theatre as long as I can. I will also print the letter out and send it in regular mail.

G.C.Montgomery

Post by G.C.Montgomery »

stevie_d_64 wrote:
nitrogen wrote:Lovely. I cannot wait for the eventual argument from my wife when i tell her taht we can't go to the theater that's literally a mile from us.
You too???

AMC Gulfpoint 30 theater is a stones throw from us...Guess I'll wander over there tomorrow and see if it is posted as well...I won't be surprised if it is...

And I will not be saying a dirn thing to them...Letters, emails or phonecalls...I'm just firing them from entertaining me anymore if they have posted this particular theater...

The sad thing is my brother gave us a gift card for Christmas to AMC...Haven't used it yet obviously...
I went with my extended family to Gulf Pointe over Christmas break. It was not posted at that time but the experience told me that we won't be going back. Gulf Pointe 30 used to be a fairly upscale place but I honestly was just glad to leave without incident this last time around. While I'm sure the majority of folks there are still fine folks, the thug population has increased dramatically. Hundreds of teens and twenty somethings loitered in the parking lot and in the theatre lobby itself. They used to have police routinely patrol the grounds and the parking lot to keep loitering to a minimum. Not so this last time around. I really felt bad about having my 3 nieces there to see Alvin and the Chipmunks only to be forced to answer questions from the girls about the clothing some of the "hoochie mama's" were wearing.
When you take the time out of your day to beat someone, it has a much longer lasting effect on their demeanor than simply shooting or tazing them.

G. C. Montgomery, Jr.

DoubleActionCHL
Posts in topic: 15

Post by DoubleActionCHL »

I sent a similar letter as well:
Melanie:

I recently read your statement stating that AMC prohibits those who are licensed to carry a concealed handgun from carrying in your theatre. I hate to say this, but I, my family, and everyone I can persuade, will be choosing another theatre for our movie-going needs until your policy changes.

Assuming that you are only the spokesperson and not the decision maker in this area, I won’t direct my venom at you. However, I will tell you that decisions such as this are made by those ignorant of the reality of the situation. When I visit one of your theatres, I’m literally fearful due to the large number of thuggish young people allowed to roam freely in your establishments. I’ve seen them brandish their guns and have heard stories of these ‘young people’ shooting the screens. As media contact, I’m sure you are aware of the stories of theatre shootings that surface from time to time. I ask you, “Did ANY of these shootings involve individuals licensed to carry a concealed weapon.�

Let me educate you, Melanie. In most states, Texas included, one must meet rigid eligibility requirements, undergo a stringent FBI background check, complete classroom training that covers Non-Violent Dispute Resolution, Use of Force and Deadly Force, State and Federal Weapons and Concealed Carry Laws, and the Safe Handling and Storage of Firearms. In addition, they must pass a proficiency test where they demonstrate their ability to safely handle their firearm and shoot with a certain degree of accuracy.

CHL (Concealed Handgun License) holders are the good guys, Melanie. Despite what you or your colleagues may believe, of the 38 states that have passed “will issue� concealed carry legislation, none has turned into the OK Corral. We do not pull out our guns and shoot someone when an argument erupts. In fact, Texas CHL holders have a conviction rate of only 0.3708 percent of the total felony and weapon-related convictions (DPS, 2005).

I submit that by prohibiting concealed carry, you are depriving your law abiding customers of the right to defend themselves. Do you honestly believe that the criminals will honor your “no guns� policy? Will you take full responsibility for anyone killed or injured in your theatres because they were unable to defend themselves? Will you post armed security in EVERY theatre at every screen, in every hallway, in every restroom? Will you have armed security walk every patron to and from their vehicles to ensure their safety? If not, then I suggest you allow people to take their self-protection into their own hands.

Please don’t let your ignorant prejudice against gun ownership subject your law abiding customers to unwarranted danger.

I look forward to your response.

Tracy L. Campbell
Director of Technical Services
xxx-xxx-xxxx
I'm also forwarding this to my students, encouraging them to write their own letters to AMC Corporation. If anyone receives a response, I would be very surprised. I sent similar emails to the parent corporation of Katy Mills Mall with no response.

http://www.doubleactionchl.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Houston, Texas

"Excuses are for tombstones. Get back in the fight."
--Me

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Gary's absolutely right about Gulf Pointe 30 on the Gulf Freeway at the Beltway. When the sun goes down, it looks like a gang convention! I wouldn't go there again with two pistols, and an AR-15 in anything less than squad strength. If there was ever a theater that should require patrons to be armed, that would be it.

Chas.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”