strange incident in church yesterday

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: strange incident in church yesterday

Post by KBCraig »

Churches really aren't doing their jobs unless there are people in Sunday service who still reek of Saturday night.

Too often the "fishers of men" want to clean the catch before allowing it in the boat.

Photoman
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Photoman »

A few of my thoughts on a very interesting subject:

1. RE: The original post issue: Could've been a shark bump or just a lost guy looking for directions. Kind of hard to say.

2. Found something interesting the other day while searching the internet for auto licensing information:

PRIVATE SECURITY BUREAU Opinions Issued in Response to Questions from Industry & Public February 2006 through January 2008

Church Volunteer Security Patrol May 10, 2007A volunteer security patrol made up of church members would generally require licensing under the provisions of Section 1702.108 or 1702.222, regardless of whether any compensation isreceived as a result of the activities. The only exception to licensing provided by the legislaturefor nonprofit and civic organizations is found in Section 1702.327, which applies specifically to nonprofit and civic organizations that employ peace officers under certain circumstances and would not be applicable here. However, there is one exception to licensing under Chapter 1702 provided by the legislature thatcould arguably apply, which can be found in section 1702.323 (?Security Department of Private Business?). This exception would allow volunteers to provide security services exclusively for one church, as long as they do not carry firearms and as long as they do not wear ?a uniform with any type of badge commonly associated with security personnel or law enforcement or a patch or apparel with ?security? on the patch or apparel.? See TEX. OCC. CODE ?1702.323(a) & (d)(2). Thus, the wearing of a uniform or any apparel containing the word ?security? would subject them to the licensing requirements of the act.

3. RE: The lost in church: My understanding is, the church meets for the edification of the saints. The saved should be out in the world seeking and saving the lost.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Carrying in church...?

For me, that could be problematical sometimes, as I am part of the Worship Team at my church. I am often on stage as a musician, and concealment could be difficult enough to make it not worth the effort for me. It is hard enough to wear long sleeves under the klieg lights and with the added heat of amplifiers, etc., wearing a jacket is out of the question. Also, I generally have a wire running down my back under my shirt, and putting it there and removing it later would expose the gun. In general, I'm in favor of it, and I hope that, even if I'm not carrying, someone else is.

As to the role of the lost in church... Each one of us who professes faith and attends a church was lost at some point in our lives, some maybe more so than others in temporal terms, but all of us were completely lost in comparison to the holiness of the Lord. Who are we to deny access to others who are lost and who desire to become part of the body of Christ? A good church is as much a hospital for sinners as it is a hotel for the saints. Besides, as soon as you are saved, you are one of the saints, even if your outward appearance hasn't caught up yet with your inner purity. Show me in the Bible where this is not so. Salvation is instant. The outward fruits of your salvation are a process.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Photoman
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Photoman »

I don't disagree with you AM. I just don't think the primary function of the meeting of the saints is to evangelize. And with that, I'll not comment any more as I feel the strong arm of Chas. about to slap me down for taking this thread of the trail. ;-)

locknload

Post by locknload »

Such an interesting topic, with so many answers or speculations to be made. The "visitor" could have been having a need to seek out God and just happened to try the wrong door, first. I think God gives nudges to us, when He knows we are in a position (hit the bottom) to look up at Him. Maybe, that was what had happened to this guy. But, what if he had been a BG and had a gun?

It did start me to think about how I would handle such a situation, if the guy was not a seeker, but a BG. Our service is on Sat. night, in the small chapel, and DH plays in the worship team up front. There is no security presence, though we are smack dab in the middle of a big city. I also run the lights from the Sound Booth in back a couple of times a month. So, there would be a chance of a crossfire situation. Therefore, I have decided that, though I will wait for the BG to pass me, I will fire before he reaches the halfway point ... after yelling for everyone to hit the ground that there is a gunman present. I've just decided to hit him in the back, if there isn't anyone in front of him that would get caught in the crossfire. If there is, I'll holler some nasty things at him to make him face me, and let DH shoot him in the back, when he turns, if DH has a clear shot.

That's what I could think up. If there are more than one, who knows what we'll do. I guess you just take out the one that's about to shoot the Pastor and go from there. It's really upsetting to think about, but in today's world, things like this scenario seem to be happening more and more often. Someone has to think about it, and I guess we get elected by default, as it doesn't seem that the no-gun folks or the Christian doormats want to pluck their heads out of the sand. Good thread. It's really got me to thinking.

Blessings!!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”