Forgive me, for I have sinned

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

ELB
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Forgive me, for I have sinned

Post by ELB »

Keith B wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:... How much more should we respect, admire and hopefully emulate the private citizen that places his life in danger not to protect his family or friend, but for a woman and child he never saw before in his life.

I tip my hat to this man and I long for the days when the response to his actions was, "why, of course he did."

Chas.
Very nicely put Chas. And I :tiphat: to him as well.
YES. Well put by Charles. Well done by the stranger.

elb
USAF 1982-2005

tomc

Post by tomc »

Powerful story.
be safe,
be prepared,
tomc

locknload
Posts in topic: 3

Post by locknload »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:

As a general observation, I believe his mindset was once commonplace in Texas, but it is disappearing as generations pass. I believe that is both a pity and shameful. While none of us want to see a CHL acting like a COP want-to-be, going to the aid of someone so clearly in mortal danger isn't an action I would place in that category. How much more should we respect, admire and hopefully emulate the private citizen that places his life in danger not to protect his family or friend, but for a woman and child he never saw before in his life.

I tip my hat to this man and I long for the days when the response to his actions was, "why, of course he did."

Chas.
This man behaved as if he were from the Texas in which I grew up. A true Southern Gentleman would always rise to the defense of a lady in distress. It was the attitude of my Father, my Grandfather, and my Brothers. I was raised to place the welfare and comfort of others, before my own. The rule we live/d by is God first, others second, and self last. That was just the way we lived ... and many of us still do. It's not for public show or notoriety. In fact, being thanked would be embarrassing. It was just doing one's civic duty, yet more than a duty, more like a thankful response to all that has been bestowed on us, who are so undeserving. It was a sacred kind of thing, not even to be mentioned or talked about later.

Nowadays, that is viewed as trite and makes one an object of derision ... old fashioned, not with it, not modern, a relic of a bygone past ideology. Now, we are told to find our inner self, put number 1 first, if it feels good do it, go for the gusto ... all self-serving mantras that make man a god of his own choosing, while banishing the One, true God to some dusty corner of our lives. I like the guy that helped the lady. He's like the guys I grew up with. He's a real, true Texan!

I'm impressed that Charles recognized him. It tells me a lot about you, Sir. My hat's off to both of you!

Blessings!!
:tiphat: :tiphat:

308nato

Post by 308nato »

Charles and Locknload well put and I couldnt agree with you more , great posts thanks. :thumbs2:

xrod69

Post by xrod69 »

great story. :thumbs2:

Photoman

Post by Photoman »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I tip my hat to this man and I long for the days when the response to his actions was, "why, of course he did."Chas.
While I admire the opinion, the current legal environment isn't encouraging.

LedJedi
Posts in topic: 2

Post by LedJedi »

locknload wrote: This man behaved as if he were from the Texas in which I grew up. A true Southern Gentleman would always rise to the defense of a lady in distress. It was the attitude of my Father, my Grandfather, and my Brothers. I was raised to place the welfare and comfort of others, before my own. The rule we live/d by is God first, others second, and self last. That was just the way we lived ... and many of us still do. It's not for public show or notoriety. In fact, being thanked would be embarrassing. It was just doing one's civic duty, yet more than a duty, more like a thankful response to all that has been bestowed on us, who are so undeserving. It was a sacred kind of thing, not even to be mentioned or talked about later.
:tiphat: :tiphat:
Are you TRYING to make me cry again?

What you say is so true. That's how I grew up too. I've started thinking that chivalry was a lost art, but stories like this one and folks like yourself who remember what is right and what is wrong on a truly deep level just warm my heart. They make me think back to days of my grandfather and his quiet dignity and a desire/duty to do what's right for the sake of what is right. I can see paw-paw lookin down on a situation like what the gentleman in this story did and giving the guy that quiet nod of approval that you both shared a knowledge of what it was to be men and to know right from wrong.

Thank you, everyone, from CHL/LEO to everyone who's commented on this piece as you have (and especially to charles). I was starting to think the values I grew up with were gone, but now I see they're still here, you just don't see them as often as you should. You've restored a bit of my faith in humanity. I officially turn 30 tomorrow, and that's probably one of the best birthday presents I've ever had. :)

mctowalot

Post by mctowalot »

I'll admit it. I "somewhat" teary eyed. Ok, I'm very teary eyed. I'll have to leave it at that. As I read this, I could not help but think of my wife, my mother, my sister, and all of yours. I feel almost guilty admitting it, but if faced with this I could not help but do the same. How could I just stand there and "be a good witness"? How could I live with myself if I had not acted as this true gentleman did? How could any of us? What would one say to LEO? Well officer here is a detailed desciription of what I saw. I sat and watched as a lady with child was forced into her car at knife point. Yes, here is the license plate, and man #1 was of this apperance, and man #2 looked like this. Oh, you say I'll have to appear at the murder trial because they did God knows what to the lady and her child? Isn't that a shame. At least I did the "right" thing and have all this detailed information for you. That will be such a help to her husband and the childs father while he attends the trial. SORRY FOLKS, NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS could I stand there and do nothing. Could any real man or women?

nuparadigm

Post by nuparadigm »

Great story, but I guess I'll be the one to say it: it's a little too perfect.
The last train out of any station will not be filled with nice people.

Remember Newton and Azrak.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Gene Autry's Cowboy Code

1. The Cowboy must never shoot first, hit a smaller man, or take unfair advantage.

2. He must never go back on his word, or a trust confided in him.

3. He must always tell the truth.

4. He must be gentle with children, the elderly, and animals.

5. He must not advocate or possess racially or religiously intolerant ideas.

6. He must help people in distress.

7. He must be a good worker.

8. He must keep himself clean in thought, speech, action, and personal habits.

9. He must respect women, parents, and his nations laws.

10. The Cowboy is a patriot.

Way back when this was the way gentlemen behaved.

Anyguun
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

TX Rancher

Post by TX Rancher »

Photoman wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:I tip my hat to this man and I long for the days when the response to his actions was, "why, of course he did."Chas.
While I admire the opinion, the current legal environment isn't encouraging.
I agree with you about the legal environment, but my own personal ethics would not have allowed me to stand by and be a good witness. I realize that could be construed to be a risky stance, but I am what I am, and I gave up many years ago trying to change.

This is something each person needs to make their own mind up on, and then live with the decision. To engage, or not engage…both carry risks, and both could turn out terribly wrong. You just have to do what your personal ethics dictate and hope for the best.

I too would like to know if there's any verification of this story...

tbranch

Post by tbranch »

TX Rancher wrote:I too would like to know if there's any verification of this story...
I had the same thought. I did a bunch of searching and could not find anything. Either way, it has been a thought-provoking post.

Tom

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

This is the oldest version of this story that I can find:
http://www.geoffmetcalf.com/reborn_20001012.html

That version says, "Written By: Bryan Clifford (for a dear friend)."

You can search for the name Bryan Clifford. He often rights about RKBA issues.

- Jim

mctowalot

Post by mctowalot »

nuparadigm wrote:Great story, but I guess I'll be the one to say it: it's a little too perfect.
:iagree:
I think it seems "too perfect" because it is actually well written. But on the other hand surely we have all at sometime or another in our lifes helped a fellow human, whether it involved a gun or not. Sometimes just the presence of a good guy or "non badguy" is all it takes. A few months back I watched a man going door to door on my street. So I rode over on my horse and drew down on him. Just kidding. I calmly watched him from my own yard for a while and when he knocked on the door across the street (and one house over) my elderly female neighbor (sigh) opened the door. I couldn't hear what they were talking about, but it was clear he was doing most of the talking and she obviously wanted him to leave. So Istood in my driveway and shouted a nice, warm, neighborly greeting to her and waved. They both looked at me, he seemed rather startled, finished his conversation in a hurry and left. I watched him as he walked down the street - he wasn't knocking on any more doors. Mrs. X (my neighbor) came over and thanked me and said she was scared and so happy I was there for her (warm fuzzys everywhere) :lol: Heres the punchline: He was telling her was a great guy he was and that he was handy around the house and he was looking for a wife!

locknload
Posts in topic: 3

Post by locknload »

mctowalot wrote:I'll admit it. I "somewhat" teary eyed. Ok, I'm very teary eyed. I'll have to leave it at that. As I read this, I could not help but think of my wife, my mother, my sister, and all of yours. I feel almost guilty admitting it, but if faced with this I could not help but do the same. How could I just stand there and "be a good witness"? How could I live with myself if I had not acted as this true gentleman did? How could any of us? What would one say to LEO? Well officer here is a detailed desciription of what I saw. I sat and watched as a lady with child was forced into her car at knife point. Yes, here is the license plate, and man #1 was of this apperance, and man #2 looked like this. Oh, you say I'll have to appear at the murder trial because they did God knows what to the lady and her child? Isn't that a shame. At least I did the "right" thing and have all this detailed information for you. That will be such a help to her husband and the childs father while he attends the trial. SORRY FOLKS, NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS could I stand there and do nothing. Could any real man or women?
EXACTLY!!! That very attitude, and a poster in a teacher's classroom, is what led me to my life's motto:

"I stand for what is right, even if I must stand alone; knowing that, as long as I bend my knee before Christ, I can stand before anyone."

Yeh, I know that some will gag, but I don't care. So, there! ;-)

Blessings!!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”