BUG/Deep Conceal

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
bauerdj
Posts in topic: 6

BUG/Deep Conceal

Post by bauerdj »

I am in the market for a BUG (will also double as a deep conceal gun), and I am undecided between something similar to a Kel Tec P3AT or a revolver. Whichever is chosen must choose will also need to stand up to a substantial amount of firing since I won't carry anything I don't shoot on a regular basis. If I go for a revolver I am thinking of one of the Taurus ultralight models. I prefer an exposed hammer to allow SA operation. I would appreciate thoughts on the revolver/SA choice for this role as well as recomendations for specific models in either category. If it makes any difference from a concealed carry standpoint I am 'somewhat' portly :lol: (5'9" and 245) and have small hands. Regular carry gun is a Glock 19.

Dave

Kalrog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Kalrog »

I have heard good things about the P3AT, but when I wanted the same thing - I went with a 5 shot S&W airweight in .38Spc. If I really wanted to go light, I would have gotten the Scandium one in .357Mag as it was a few oz lighter than the Titanium version in .38Spc.

With that said, the S&W has been a reliable and fun choice to fill that role. Lots of holster options and the like as well.

Paladin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Paladin »

I've got a S&W 642. It's a nice gun.

I know Kel Tecs and PM-9s are common too.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

CaptDave

Post by CaptDave »

I'm not a Glock guy, but you may want to look at the "Baby Glock" in 9mm.

I know it's not as light as the Kel-Tec, but it will stand up to a lot of range use. If that is small enough for you, you will also get the benefit of using your full size mags in the smaller glock which I think is pretty cool - ie: the spare mags for your carry gun also work in your BUG.

I'm sure we have a few Glock guys who can give us their opinion on this as well.

Just my .02
"An armed society is a polite society"

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

I recently acquired a Glock 26 or "Baby Glock" and really like it! If you want to make the drive down to Texas City this weekend....I would be happy to let you shoot mine. I have been carrying mine since returning from the TSRA show and have really enjoyed it. Take care.
Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Hmmmm...... More "trade-offs".

Methinks exposed hammers often not conducive to deep concealment/snag-free draws. And if to do a lot of shooting, I'd lean more toward a lightweight Smith (with a DAO trigger job) than one of the Taurii breed.

And would give strong consideration to a light, flat Kahr (such as PM-9) over a Kel-Tec. Although their recently-announced 9mm does have some appeal - to let others be the guinea pigs with the first batch and report back to us. ;-)

edited to add: And I too very much like the Glocks - on the rare days when I am up to packing a brick.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Topic author
bauerdj

Post by bauerdj »

I tried the G26 when I bought my G19 - it's very nice, but a little too thick for a BUG/Deep Conceal. I still have to make the basic decision of wheel or SA; what I REALLY want is both, but can't afford that at this time. I had heaard good things about the Taurus revolver line; am I mistaken?

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

bauerdj wrote:I tried the G26 when I bought my G19 - it's very nice, but a little too thick for a BUG/Deep Conceal. I still have to make the basic decision of wheel or SA; what I REALLY want is both, but can't afford that at this time. I had heaard good things about the Taurus revolver line; am I mistaken?
Nothing at all wrong with Taurus. They make a solid, accurate revolver. A co-worker was bragging on an as-new, used Taurus 85 stainless he picked up for $240. I wish I'd beat him to it!

I haven't played with any of their titanium or lightweight models, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to do any extended shooting sessions with +P in a 16 ounce gun. Don't forget, the lighter the gun, the lighter your wallet.

Kevin

ShootingStar
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ShootingStar »

bauerdj,
bauerdj wrote:I tried the G26 when I bought my G19 - it's very nice, but a little too thick for a BUG/Deep Conceal. I still have to make the basic decision of wheel or SA; what I REALLY want is both, but can't afford that at this time. I had heaard good things about the Taurus revolver line; am I mistaken?
Nope, you're not mistaken about Taurus. The first gun I bought my wife was a S&W642 which is great when it comes to something that is light and easy to carry, but she fired 2 rnds through it and couldn't fire it any more. I tried to shoot it and it hurt my had to shoot too. I don't have small hands either. Then I bought her a Taurus Titanium that came ported. It has everything that the S&W had, minus the bobbed hammer, but was shootable. The porting really made the difference. It wasn't cheap though, I can't remember exactly what it cost, maybe around $400 or so.

Last I knew Taurus made other more affordable revolvers that were ported as well. I have a cheap Uncle Mikes pocket holster that I use and it works, but not as well as some of the more expensive ones. It does keep the pocket lint from getting in things.

The way I see it, the Taurus revolver has two downsides, only holds 5 rnds and it isn't as flat as the Keltec. To its credit, it will take less maintenance/abuse and still fire. Dillon did an article in the Blue Press on the KelTec and theirs broke at around 200 rnds. Though a friend has had both the .32 and the .380 models and never had a problem with them.

If you ever get down around Friendswood I would be glad to meet you out at my range for you to test fire my Taurus. I use it as a backup gun and really like it.
A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for lunch. A Republic is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the decision. - Benjamin Franklin

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I have the P3AT and love it. I also carry a S&W 340PD with the crimson laser grips and really like it especially in my suit pocket.

Topic author
bauerdj

Post by bauerdj »

The Taurus I am considering is the model 85 ultra light (probably in blue) and yes it comes down to the flatness of the Kel Tec against the reliability of the revolver. I have also heard that the Kel Tec is not real pleasant to shoot - I believe in regular practice with a carry gun, and would prefer it be enjoyable to shoot rather then a chore. Also may consider the Taurus 9MM revolver if it comes in ultra light

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

I like my P3AT, but even though it is small it is a handful. In my opinion it isn't too much to shoot on a regular basis.

Topic author
bauerdj

Post by bauerdj »

Well, I have about ten days to decide, hope to pick up whatever I decide on at the Conroe show. Of course I could always pick up both, but then I would have to put off my purchase of a 1911. I haven't started to research that yet, but will be looking for something that is of decent quality but nothin fancy. ANyone knowledgeable on what I can expect to spend?

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

but then I would have to put off my purchase of a 1911. I haven't started to research that yet, but will be looking for something that is of decent quality but nothin fancy. ANyone knowledgeable on what I can expect to spend?
Both Kimber and Springfield make really nice guns with most of the bells and whistles in the $600-$900 range.

If you looking for a simple design without all the bells and whistles then I would recommend to Springield Mil-spec models. They are nice shooting guns and you could always customize it at a later time.

Don't overlook Colt. My experiance with them hasn't been stellar, but that's just one instance. Most are good guns, but for more basic models the Kimbers and Springfield are better values in my opinion.

I'm sure others much more knowledgeable about 1911s will be along shortly.

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

I have a P3AT I carry it in a DeSantis Nemisis pocket holster. You never notice it's in your pocket. But, it is a PAIN :cryin to shoot with carpal tunnel syndrome. No hammers on any snubby for pocket/deep carry for me. Taurus makes an excellent revolver some say their quality is equal to S&W.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”