CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
hoss4570
Posts in topic: 18

Re: WOULD YOU SHOOT???????????

Post by hoss4570 »

lawrnk wrote:
hoss4570 wrote:I;m tellin yall, this HURT when they stole my welder. It has cost me 10.000 dollars in the last month and still have more to go. I WILL shoot next time given a chance. Yall do whatever you think is best. At least they won't do it to other innocent people, asleep in their own homes. I WILL NOT roll over and play dead and let these scum steal my stuff if I can help it. :fire :fire :fire :fire
:iagree:

If it were a bike, it is theirs and I'll call 9/11. If its 10k worth of stuff, what I use to make a living and support my family, I would shoot to maintain possession of that equipment.
I started to say I aggree with you but I feel like I'm being picked on by theives around here. In the last year they have stolen two expensive mountian bikes out of my front yard, my pipe jacks, my fab horses, two tool boxs out of the bed of my truck, the welding leads off of my welder THEN the whole welder, trailer included. I don't know if I could contain myself if I caught them stealing. I like to think I would not shoot a man over a pair of plairs but then again, they are MINE and not his, they are on MY property, not his. So I really can't say. I don't go up on anybodys property without permisson . :fire :fire :fire :fire
Life member N.R.A.
Take a kid shootin'
ALWAYS count your shots
PROUD C.H.L. holder

WildBill
Posts in topic: 6

Post by WildBill »

hoss4570 wrote:
lawrnk wrote:
hoss4570 wrote:I;m tellin yall, this HURT when they stole my welder. It has cost me 10.000 dollars in the last month and still have more to go. I WILL shoot next time given a chance. Yall do whatever you think is best. At least they won't do it to other innocent people, asleep in their own homes. I WILL NOT roll over and play dead and let these scum steal my stuff if I can help it. :fire :fire :fire :fire

If it were a bike, it is theirs and I'll call 9/11. If its 10k worth of stuff, what I use to make a living and support my family, I would shoot to maintain possession of that equipment.
I started to say I aggree with you but I feel like I'm being picked on by theives around here. In the last year they have stolen two expensive mountian bikes out of my front yard, my pipe jacks, my fab horses, two tool boxs out of the bed of my truck, the welding leads off of my welder THEN the whole welder, trailer included. I don't know if I could contain myself if I caught them stealing. I like to think I would not shoot a man over a pair of plairs but then again, they are MINE and not his, they are on MY property, not his. So I really can't say. I don't go up on anybodys property without permisson . :fire :fire :fire :fire
Hoss - It sounds like you have some thieving coyotes around your place. Seems like they rip you off and wait until you replace it and then come around again. Do you think it could be the same people? Since you got your new trailer and welding stuff are you doing anything different to make sure it doesn't get taken? :fire :fire :fire :fire :woohoo
NRA Endowment Member

numist
Posts in topic: 1

Post by numist »

hoss4570 wrote:
lawrnk wrote:

Just a few thoughts here. When replacing the equipment/trailer you might think about installing (hidden very well) a GPS tracking device. Also for smaller money you can get a CCTV camera and time-lapse recorder and catch the idiots on tape if they come back by.
"The camera doesn't lie" and may help the police match them to other incidents.
With the tape they can be easily prosecuted unless they have a few extra holes that they didn't have before.
Educate ignorance, reward excellence and severely punish stupidity.

Topic author
hoss4570

Post by hoss4570 »

WildBill wrote:
Hoss - It sounds like you have some thieving coyotes around your place. Seems like they rip you off and wait until you replace it and then come around again. Do you think it could be the same people? Since you got your new trailer and welding stuff are you doing anything different to make sure it doesn't get taken? :fire :fire :fire :fire :woohoo
Its a dang shame to have to do it but it stayes locked up in the shop now. All of my stuff, tools and the like I have to take up space in the shop to keep them from being stolen. And yes, I do think it's the same group of scum. :fire :fire :fire :fire
Life member N.R.A.
Take a kid shootin'
ALWAYS count your shots
PROUD C.H.L. holder

age_ranger

Post by age_ranger »

I think I might attempt to stop them. At gunpoint if necessary, but would only shoot if confronted. If they drove away, I'm not sure any amount of property is worth using deadly force to retrieve and would probably get as much info for the police as possible..
http://www.berettaforum.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just remember: Your very best thinking got you where you are now!!!

Topic author
hoss4570

Post by hoss4570 »

age_ranger wrote:I think I might attempt to stop them. At gunpoint if necessary, but would only shoot if confronted. If they drove away, I'm not sure any amount of property is worth using deadly force to retrieve and would probably get as much info for the police as possible..
Your opinion, but until it happens to you and you feel how bad it hurts to have these lazy thugs steal what you have worked hard for, and feel the pain of having tp spend thousands of dollars to replace what they have taken, you don't know . I do know and will stop them given the chance. :fire :fire :fire :fire
Life member N.R.A.
Take a kid shootin'
ALWAYS count your shots
PROUD C.H.L. holder

Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Maybe bang, maybe not, haven't been in that exact situation.
Never had to pull the trigger but came close numerous times and I did loose sleep because of those events.
Several of the scum that I encountered probably needed it and I still wonder "what if ..."
It's NOT a happy or casual thought being in condition red.

Topic author
hoss4570

Post by hoss4570 »

Bubba wrote:Maybe bang, maybe not, haven't been in that exact situation.
Never had to pull the trigger but came close numerous times and I did loose sleep because of those events.
Several of the scum that I encountered probably needed it and I still wonder "what if ..."
It's NOT a happy or casual thought being in condition red.
I Really don't think I'd loose a minutes sleep over shooting these scum. I DID, however, loose sleep over the loss of my welding machine/trailer. I thought I was gonna have a stroke when I found it missing, I really did. :mad5 :mad5 :fire :fire
Life member N.R.A.
Take a kid shootin'
ALWAYS count your shots
PROUD C.H.L. holder

legend

Post by legend »

if I had that much stolen from my property, I think I'd go down and buy a camera to connect to my computer that records an image every few seconds. So if it happened again I would have a picture of the people, license plate, etc...

csay

Post by csay »

You not only have the right to defend your property, you have the obligation. No, you don't shoot someone for petty theft, but when it affects a man's ability to make a living for his family, that's a different story. My town has recently had a string of burgleries of businesses. The police are really doing nothing about it. It's a small town, and the police have become so ineffective, that the city is considering replacing the police dept. with contracted Sheriff's deputies. I don't advocate violence, but if faced with the situation of someone stealing something of mine that puts beans on the table for my family, especially at night, then yes, I will use necessary force. If these thieves have no fear they will become emboldened and could resort to far worse crimes.

cbr600

Post by cbr600 »

legend wrote:if I had that much stolen from my property, I think I'd go down and buy a camera to connect to my computer that records an image every few seconds. So if it happened again I would have a picture of the people, license plate, etc...
What if they steal your computer too?

Geopagus
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Geopagus »

For those who respond yes....you might find yourself spending a ton of money defending yourself for killing someone over property; whether it be in criminal or civil court and if your really unlucky, both. To put it quite simply, it's not worth it.

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

txinvestigator wrote:
boomerang wrote:
Weekly Reader wrote:Heck yes.

We have been burgularized enough times to loose our insurance.
My property is worth something to me. I work hard to earn enough money to buy what I have. I'm willing to spend a few bullets to keep it.
It'll cost you a lot more than the price of a few bullets.

You guys who are so ready to shoot someone need to sit and talk to a few people who have. The financial, emotional and psychological impacts on you AND your family are not minor nor a joke. A realize that everybody wants to be a tough guy, but there seriously needs some thought put into these types of statements.
I believe "Weekly Reader" put a lot of thought into it: burglars have not only stolen his property, they've stolen his ability to insure against burglars. When certain property = livelihood, stealing that property is the same as stealing one's life.

The Old West standard of hanging horse thieves justified capital punishment because stealing a horse was the same as stealing a man's life. Leaving a man afoot in the wilderness condemned him to a long slow death; likewise, a horse and tack likely represented his life's savings, and stealing that was the same as taking his life.

We've come a long way from the Old West in many ways, but in other ways, not so much... when theft leaves a man unable to ply his trade and feed his family, the thief has literally endangered lives.

DCS

Post by DCS »

I know how you feel, there's nothing worse then a thief! But, I think the only way I am going to pull the trigger is to save a life. Be it mine, my wifes or someone elses. It's not that I am all that concerned about the dirty thief that has stolen my property, it's just that I don't want to go through all the hassel of trying to defend my actions. Not to mention the civil suits that will probably follow. Let the insurance cover it.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”