What do you carry and why?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
onerifle
Posts in topic: 1

What do you carry and why?

Post by onerifle »

Hello all. This forum seems to have a lot of nice, well informed people, with a welcome lack of "hot air." :) QUite a bit of good information, as well.

Since it's my first post, I just thought I'd ask a question instead of chiming in. :)

Typically- in no particular order, or combination, depending on weather/time of year and social situation-

-Glock 23 in Comp-Tac C-TAC with Winchester RA40TA

-Kahr PM9 in Mika's Pocket Holster or Thunderwear with Winchester RA9T

-NAA Mini .22LR in NAA pocket holster with CCI Stinger.

FoxLabs OC keychain.

What do you carry?
"A man who asks is a fool for five minutes- a man who does not ask is a fool forever."

dws1117
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dws1117 »

Welcome to the forums.

I am still waiting on my CHL to come in the mail. I have a Kimber Ultra carry with a Tucker Cover Up IWB on lay-a-way. Until the Kimber is broken in and proves reliable I will be carrying a Taurus 85. Don't have a holster yet but will probably get whatever decent one I can find locally.

orc4hire

Post by orc4hire »

Last edited by orc4hire on Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

dutchman

Post by dutchman »

I carry a Colt officers model .45 most of the time. When I can't hide it, I carry a Colt Government .380. The .380 is a bit light, but it is better than the nothing I would be carrying otherwise.
Dutchman
It seems that the older I get, the better I used to be.

Jungle Work

Post by Jungle Work »

I spent 33 years in LE after 4 in the military. I can not imagine not carrying a firearm after seeing the things I have seen.

I generally carry what the situation dictates. Most of the time a J Frame Smith or a Glock 19.
Sometimes a Smith Model 58 or a Browning HP.

Jungle Work
From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother. CURRAHEE

USMC-COL

Carry Piece

Post by USMC-COL »

During my more than 34 years in uniform and since, I have carried many different handguns. Although a 1911 fan and user for almost 40 years I now usually carry a Glock 19. I have recently carried a Sig 239, a Glock 26, a Ruger SP-101, a Tomcat 32, and others, but the Glock 19 is the one I usually pick up for daily carry and IDPA competition. In my hands it handles better than the Sig and has almost twice the capacity. During my bike rides, the SP-101 CH travels better in my fanny pack. When clothing allows, my Colt custom 1911 may still accompany me and I use it during IPSC Limited competition.
Respectfully and Semper Fi,
F. Phil Torres
Colonel of Marines, Retired
Independent Security Contractor
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
Unarmed Combat Instructor
NRA Life Member

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

I usually carry an S&W 3913 w/2 spare mags. Loaded with either 124 gr +P Golden Saber or 115 Gr Winchester USA JHP. Lately, my Springfield 4" XD 9mm has been seeing carry duty with the same ammo choices as above. I also ocassionaly carry a Taurus PT100 loaded with Pow'rBall, a full size 1911 with 230 gr Hydrashock, or a 4" 686 loaded with CorBon or Federal 125 gr. Backup duties go to a P3AT with CorBon or Hydrashock and/or a PT22 with Stinger.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Warhorse545

Post by Warhorse545 »

I carry a Les Baer TRS in .45 in a strong side IWB holster. But then I am 6'1" and 230 pounds so the weight of the 1911 does not bother me much. And I carry this pistol because I have full trust in it. It has never given me any problems since the initial 200 rounds. I just flat out trust the pistol.

Stacey
TSRA Life Member

rachilders

Carry guns

Post by rachilders »

I have a number of guns, depending on the situation They range from a Thunder 380 to a Lady Smith (my wife's actually, but I believe in equal rights so why should she be the only one to use it!) to a CZ40P to a Kimber custom 1911. However, from my own experience, the best value for the dollar and the guns I carry more than all the others combined would be a Bersa Ultra Compact in 9mm or 45 ACP.

I know there are more than a few folks who'll say "Bersa, what's that and why not use one of the REAL guns you mentioned". Well, they are real guns, though most people that know of them are more familiar with the 380 models. The Compacts were introduced around 2000 and are based on a different design than the 380's (a PPK clone). They are not appreciably larger than the Walther PPK or the Bersa 380, but they give you a much bigger "bang". They are also cheaper - as in less expensive, not poorer in quality - than almost all the equivalent models available of the same quality and size. They are essentially a modified Sig-Sauer P228/229 but at 1/3 the price. An ultra compact can be had for $290-$330 at most places, depending on caliber and the retailer. My two compacts in 9mm & 45 ACP have been very reliable. My only problem with either gun after more than a year and shooting 600+ rounds with each gun was a feeding problem with the 45 that was corrected by replacing the recoil springs ($2.50 each). I've found them to be accurate, reliable and affordable. In fact I have four Bersa's, a 380, compact and full size 9mm's and the compact 45 ACP (it even has a laser). A link is below for anyone interested in taking a look at them

If I had to pick only one caliber, it would be the 40 S&W. While I don't own a Bersa in .40 S&W, at least not yet, I do have a compact CZ in that caliber. It is more powerful than the 9 but more controlable than the 45. If the Bersa 40 is as reliable as the other two calibers, it will be my choice as the perfect carry gun.

http://bersatalk.com/forums/988/PostAttachment.aspx

bkridel

Post by bkridel »

Just picked up a Glock 17 about 3 weeks ago, and finally today, after ordering it the day i picked up my 17, I got my Galco concealable high ride in the mail (I'm left handed, and they don't stock holsters for lefties over at Galco, so they have to make it when you order it). I also just ordered the Tucker Texas Heritage IWB yesterday, so I'll be waiting around 4 weeks before it comes.

Also, I carry my XD .40 Service in a Galco skyops when I need to dress up and tuck my shirt in. When i can wear a concealment garment, I carry the .40 in a Don Hume leather slide.

I have Galco concealable mag carriers for both calibers as well

- BLake
XD40 Service
Glock 17 9mm
Ruger 10/22 hellfire trigger

"It's not how you play, it's the final score."

Baytown

Post by Baytown »

When I am required to carry my Glock 20, I wear it in a Safariland Raptor, with two extra mags. In the car I have a Rock River Arms in the trunk w/ EOTech Holosight and IT M3X, in the rifle rack in the passanger compartment I have a Bushmaster that is plain stock (fits in the rifle rack that way.) I carry an extra mag in a Comp-Tac mag pouch on my belt next to my pistol ammo. I carry a Kel-Tec P32 as a second gun.

When I get to carry what I want it is usually an HK P7M8 w/ Rem G.S.'s, Les Bear TRS w/ 230gr Rem. G.S.'s , or a S&W 36 or 60 w/ Rem 158gr LSWCHP's.

All my guns are carried in either Kydex by Comp-Tac, or in leather made by Matt Del Fatti.

Glenn

too-tall

Post by too-tall »

I carry a Browning Hi-Power in 40cal.
It has been hard chromed by Virgil Tripp.
I carry it in a Milt Sparks EX Companion IWB.
This is the best pointing, best feeling, most fun pistol I have ever shot.

I also carry a Springfield full size 1911 when I feel like a change.

Too Tall
" Behind every silver lining,
there is a cloud..." NRA Life Member

gemeinschaft

Post by gemeinschaft »

I carry a G19 with 2 extra mags and a Surefire Z2.

If I knew I needed a gun in order to go to a specific place, I would choose not to go. Being that I may need my firearm, I carry.

Blazen

Post by Blazen »

I normally carry a Glock 27 in a Galco Jak holster. If I can't carry, my Fox Labs is near by.

Trainman

Post by Trainman »

I have not received my CHL in the mail yet (it has only been 34 WORKING days - after all!). I have read posts listing some magnificent firearms that are being carried concealed. Some of the guns carry with them price tags that border on 4 figures.
My area of concern is if (God forbid) it becomes neccessaryfor you to fire your weapon to protect yourself the first thing that will happen is for the law enforcement authority to confiscate your gun as evidence until the investigation and judgment is complete (however long THAT takes).
If I had a Kimber, Sig, Kahr, H&K, or any number of great guns this would be a concern of mine. All manner of things might happen during the interim, much less the duration of having a valuable asset sit on a shelf in a police property room.
Granted, the issue of reliability must be satisfied. Having done this I would think that my $385 Bersa Ultra Compact 9mm would be a better choice to turn over to the cops than a $900 Kimber. I understand that there are many debatable points involved here from both sides of the table.

It's just a thought of mine and wondered how everyone reconciles it with themselves.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”