ammo on sale

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

flb_78
Posts in topic: 24

Re: ammo on sale

Post by flb_78 »

I bought 500 rnds of some .308 nato for 190 bux at my local gun store.
http://www.AmarilloGunOwners.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lawrnk
Posts in topic: 8

Post by lawrnk »

ShootingStar wrote:For those of you who prefer the .40 S&W (short and wimpy "rlol" ) Cheaper Than Dirt has Winchester Ranger 155gr box of 50 on sale for $13.33.
Too bad I don't use it as it's almost as cheap as practice ammo.

Here's the link. http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM564-64202-183.html

-ss :txflag:

That is a steal! Just ordered 10 boxes. Too bad they are in TX, have to pay tax... :confused5
Member- TSRA
Life Member- NRA

Mike1951
Posts in topic: 36

Post by Mike1951 »

Before Sportsman's Outlet in Humble burned, they had this stuff for $125 case, so I bought two cases.

CDNN has also had it dirt cheap for quite some time.

Just the other day, I was reading about Winchester dumping this stuff, thus the low price.

I'll try to find it again.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Keith B
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Keith B »

I just got the latest Cabela's catalog and they have .40 SXT for $12.99 a box of 50. Online shows $14.99, so you might have to order over the phone.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 23

Post by Skiprr »

Mike1951 wrote:Just the other day, I was reading about Winchester dumping this stuff, thus the low price.
Yeah; it seemed to start about four months or so ago. I bought a half case in early October. It seems to be just the .40; haven't seem the same kind of deals on other calibers.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

So far I've found that it was shown as a new loading in Winchester's 2004 LE catalog.

And I found a 2004 bid for San Antonio PD at $129.99/1000 as practice ammo.

http://www.sanantonio.gov/pgs/pdf/tabs/A308Tab04.pdf

On the same quote is their service ammunition, Speer Gold Dot.

The ammo in question is RA10155HP and is not Ranger T.

What I would like to determine is whether it is a quality issue or just a contract overrun.

I've never shot any of the two cases I bought.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

Some discussion here:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9520299

Excerpts:

I used wet newspaper/phone books with a heavy wrangler style canvas shirt over the front. I chronoed as I shot. I was satisfied with all the loads other than the Ranger 155 gr. 40. It lost its jacket and didn't really expand. I think that these "Rangers" are really just reboxed win usa hollowpoints. It is in a Ranger box but it is not the SXTor T series. I've seen them at cabelas for less than $20 / 50. I bet alot of people buy these and think "it says ranger, they must be good." Well they are not.

Now you see why the Ranger jhp was dumped on the surplus market. It was made to a Federal Agency spec but most LE would prefer to use one of the other Ranger products.

Winchester made the Ranger jhp ammo because there is/was demand for inexpensive duty/target ammo.

Tho most successful rounds were the RA9115HP+ and the RA40180HP. Both have had years of real world shootings with positive results.

The RA9115HP was never in big demand. The RA40155HP was made for a contract but does not seem like it will be a popular round.

I actually bought these because I had two .40 Hi-Powers and the cost to establish reliability in both of them wouldn't be excessive. Plus, I thought they would work well in my Kahr K-40's. I guess I'll have to keep looking for a .40 carry round.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 23

Post by Skiprr »

Yep, that sounds logical. I'm still not terribly unhappy, though. With copper prices hovering between $7 and $8 most of '07, up from about $3 in '05, I figure that even if we don't use these "Rangers" as carry ammo, give it a year and we won't be able to touch regular ball ammo for what we paid. So even as extra range ammo, we'll still come out saving a buck.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

Wal-Mart may have finally raised its ammo prices.

I returned to a store that previously had the very cheap prices on their Blazer Brass.

9mm is now $8.97.

.40 went from $7.57 to $12.47.

.45 went from $9.47 to $14.88.

You folks recheck your stores that had the cheap prices.

If the increase hasn't hit yet, it probably won't be long.

BTW, the Federal .22 bulk packs went from $9.88 to $11.97.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

extremist
Posts in topic: 4

Post by extremist »

Yes, arggh, the .45 now has gone up 50% at Walmart, no more 9.47/50 :shock:

Dang.

Well I bought as much as I could while it was cheap :lol:

James
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

WillieD
Posts in topic: 17

Post by WillieD »

I checked my local Walmart where I have bought all of my Blazer Brass from and they raised their prices too. I should have picked up a few extra boxes a couple weeks ago.

It is a good thing I already have ~1500 rounds.

lionswrath79
Posts in topic: 2

Post by lionswrath79 »

I was in Cabela's just a little while ago checking out ammo prices and other stuff and found that their WWB .45 went from a previous $33.00 for 100rnd box to $41.00 :shock: I was in austruck when I saw that, I havent been to the walmart that I normally buy my ammo at, but they had the same 100rn WWB for $28.98 just before Christmas, I am almost scared to go back as im sure it has gone up as well. I was going to buy a 250 rnd Rem. bulk pack that they had which was going for $72.00 just before Christmas, scared to see what it is now. As soon as I get my bonus money in I am going out to invest in stocking up on as much ammo as I can afford at once, I never thought the prices would rise so sharply so quickly, good ole govt. trying their dangdest to make sure all us gun owners have it tough!! Hope this isnt the first step in making ammo to expensive and in turn making firearm owning to cost prohibitive!! :mad5

flb_78
Posts in topic: 24

Post by flb_78 »

1000 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 9mm +P 124 grn for 250 dollars shipped to your front door. Several of these on Gun Broker.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=90304618
http://www.AmarilloGunOwners.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bill
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Bill »

looks like that .22 top end for the .40 Glock is looking more like a necessity
retired CHL Instructor

grim-bob
Posts in topic: 2

Post by grim-bob »

2 different Walmarts in FW (Hurst and Eastchase). Both have lots of boxes on the shelf and a nice new shiny price. Ridiculous......

.40 S&W had a 70% increase in price overnight. :totap:

Tell me there's not some price gouging in there somewhere.... Some chump realized that all the other brands were up there in price so why not just make the cheap stuff just under those in price.... arghhh..... I just bought several boxes last week. Had I known it was around the corner I'd have stocked up better. Unfortunately I used up all I had over the weekend. :banghead:
Josh

Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
Benjamin Franklin

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”