Harwin St in Houston

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
texasgirl
Posts in topic: 5

Harwin St in Houston

Post by texasgirl »

Hi everyone I was just wondering what anyone could tell me about this area of Houston. I know about the shopping, I am more concerned about safety. The guys from our church are going to the gun show (lucky dogs) and the ladies are heading to Harwin St. I heard mixed things about this area and was wondering if there are any special things to be aware of in this area.
If you listen to constructive criticism, you will be at home among the wise. Proverbs 15:31

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Harwin St in Houston

Post by seamusTX »

Harwin runs through a fairly upscale area; but it's not far from Sharpstown, which is a pit. I wouldn't feel uncomfortable walking alone there. I would maintain the same situational awareness as on any city street.

Most of the crime in that part of Houston is robbery of small stores, particularly convenience stores.

What is of special interest in that part of town? Most visitors want to go to the Galleria.

- Jim

Topic author
texasgirl

Post by texasgirl »

Honestly I never been but some of the others have. There are lots discount stores there. I am really just going to enjoy the company of my friends, if I can convince them I'd just as soon go to the gun show ;-)
If you listen to constructive criticism, you will be at home among the wise. Proverbs 15:31

Bubba
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Bubba »

texasgirl wrote:Honestly I never been but some of the others have. There are lots discount stores there. I am really just going to enjoy the company of my friends, if I can convince them I'd just as soon go to the gun show ;-)
Ah !!!!!
A woman after my own heart ! :hurry:

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 6

Post by seamusTX »

i guess this is what you're talking about: http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-2 ... n=describe

I had never heard of it.

There are a lot of good Chinese and Vietnamese restaurants in that area, especially on Bellaire, which is about two miles south of Harwin.

I hope you have a safe, fun trip.

- Jim

Topic author
texasgirl

Post by texasgirl »

Yep that's the place. I have just heard mixed things about the area so was wondering if anyone had first had experience there. I'm just not all that familiar with Houston.
Last edited by texasgirl on Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oilman
Posts in topic: 2

Post by oilman »

It is an area that I would really maintain your awareness.

oilman

Post by oilman »

http://houstoncrimemaps.com/neighborhood/sharpstown/

15 or so crimes on on Harwin in November. A couple of robberies, some burglaries and auto thefts.

http://www.houstontx.gov/police/cs/xls/nov07.xls

Topic author
texasgirl

Post by texasgirl »

That's the kind of info I was looking for thanks for the link.

rl168

Post by rl168 »

I've been to that area 4 or 5 times in the past on weekends, in the day time. Did not have any problem. A lot of people like to shop there. That area is well known for their fake branded goods. I won't hang around that area during night time though.

locknload

Post by locknload »

I have gone to businesses on Harwin for over 20 years. Some are safe, some are not. My business was making genuine stone jewelry, so sometimes I carried many dollars worth of semi-precious strung stones, including pearls. I also saw many fake Dooney's, designer scarfs, shoes, clothing, etc., in back rooms. Don't buy them, as tempting as it may be, as you are committing a crime. I just liked to look. They also have purses out in the front of the store that look very much like Brightons and other designer labels, but they are legal, as they are not labeled "Brighton," nor are they exact duplicates ... just similar in style. The prices are great. The same goes for the silver jewelry. Just look to see that it is real silver, if that's what you're after. So, those are good buys. Beware of the cardboard "leather." During the day from 10 to 2, you'll be OK. Carry if you can. Don't go there at night. The Thai restaurant is excellent. Harwin is also a great place to find lace appliques, wedding clothes, shoes and luggage. Stores used to be primarily owned by Orientals, and more recently many Arab businesses have come in. I prefer the Orientals, because they seem to me to bargain better. Don't be afraid to bargain, as that can be half the fun. For instance say, "What price will you give me, if I buy two?" At the clothing stores, you can find great bargains, but watch the material and construction, as you can find stuff that will fall apart after the first washing. You can also find some great stuff, so just have fun.

In 1997, we bought a white Crown Victoria, and a few years back, it was scratched by a gangbanger with gang graffiti, as he thought it was a cop car. So, I'd leave your Crown Vic or big Chevy at home and take the mini-van and place your purchases in the trunk or cover them in the rear of the van, so they can't be seen. Don't look too prosperous. Leave your diamonds and Rolex at home. That said, don't be afraid to go there in the daytime, as you'll have a ball bargain shopping. Just take normal precautions ... and carry, if you can.

ducks4brkfast

Post by ducks4brkfast »

And if you can convince your group, I'd recommend stopping by Collectors Firearms as it's nearby as well :thumbs2:

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

oilman wrote:It is an area that I would really maintain your awareness.
:thumbs2:

Be ready for anything, but most of all have fun...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Son of Anygun lives near there.

Be aware of red light cameras.

Be situationally aware for criminals and cheap knockoffs.

As stated Sharpstown is the pits. Stay away.

Anygun
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”