CDNN sports hit by CITI Bank

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 1

Re: CDNN sports hit by CITI Bank

Post by jimlongley »

If I hadn't already terminated my Citi account, I sure would now.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

I'm sure they will try to say it's for your safety. They don't want you to fall victim to identity theft, or some such nonsense.

-John
NRA lifetime member

rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

Real obvious in the letter they do not know the laws regarding sales.

Turfspanker
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Turfspanker »

Cipher wrote:Not sure if it has been posted, but here is the letter:

If this is ligit Citi needs to be spanked for this one.

Having just personally signed with the NRA, I feel this is something they should pursue on behalf of the members to at a minimum, engage a bunch of Citi's corporate lawyers in defending the action. It sounds like the legal staff at Citi need a reality check.

It would also make the issue more broadly visible to the NRA membership.

I have a card and mortgage with Citi and a few of its subs.
Not for long...
Glock 23, Glock 27, Sig P226

Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

I cancelled all of my credit cards and destroyed them a little over a year ago (except for Sam's and two gas cards). We buy a good amount of groceries and gas from Sam's and the "Personal Credit" comes with the membership.

When I started the process I was shocked to see I had like 6 different accounts with Citi, CitiCorp and Shell under Citi, et al. They were squealing like a pig with that call and making all sorts of promises. It was a pleasure beyond description. Now I almost wish I hadn't so I could now...oh well.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Kalrog wrote:THEY RESPONDED!!!
Thank you for your message. The posting at http://www.nssf.org regarding Citi Merchant Services and First Data Corp. is inaccurate. Further, while we generally do not comment on individual merchant customers, we would like to briefly address the 12/26 letter posted on the web site. Regretfully, that letter did a less than satisfactory job of expressing applicable policies. Those policies are more properly detailed below.

Citi Merchant Services and First Data do process firearms transactions. Our policy restrictions address only the sale of firearms in a non face-to-face environment. Non face-to-face transactions occur when a cardholder is not present in front of a merchant and includes mail order and online purchases. It is our policy not to service merchants that make non face-to-face sales in a number of industries, including firearms.

It is not the policy of Citi Merchant Services or First Data to refuse to process transactions from duly licensed merchants that sell firearms in face-to-face transactions at the point of sale.

Please direct any questions to Questions@firstdata.com.

The posting also incorrectly states that Robert Tenenbaum is the supervisor when, in fact, he is not.
I have no proof, as I don't have a Citibank credit card. However, I seriously doubt they really have a policy prohibiting any transactions that are not face-to-face. Internet and telephone credit card orders are probably the norm now and I suspect they at least equal and perhaps exceed the number of face-to-face transactions. Even gasoline purchases are not face-to-face when you pay at the pump. Yes, you are on their property, but no employee sees the name on the credit card, much less verifying that the correct person is using it.

I realize they are not claiming to have a company wide policy to that effect, but only for certain industries including firearms. It is my opinion this is false and published solely in an attempt to avoid a backlash from customers. If it were true, why not identify the other "industries" effected, since doing so would not identify any specific merchants?

Chas.

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

Here here Charles! :cheers2:

It appears they tried something like this once before and they are at it again.
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

I just emailed this to the email address in FirstData's response. It will be interesting to see if I get a response. If I do, I'll bet a dollar to a donut that no industries will be disclosed.
This was posted on an Internet forum and purports to set out Citi Merchant Services and First Data Corp.’s policies regarding non-face-to-face transactions. This email is in response to your instructions to “Please direct any questions to Questions@firstdata.com.�

Please identify the other industries subject to your policy, or Citi Merchant Services’ policy, to limit sales to those made face-to-face, as set out in your response quoted below. This information will be used to verify or refute this contention so that accurate information can be disseminated on this issue.

Sincerely,

Charles L. Cotton
Cotton-Farrell, P.C.
1010 Lamar, Suite 860
Houston, TX 77002
Citi Merchants wrote:Thank you for your message. The posting at http://www.nssf.org regarding Citi Merchant Services and First Data Corp. is inaccurate. Further, while we generally do not comment on individual merchant customers, we would like to briefly address the 12/26 letter posted on the web site. Regretfully, that letter did a less than satisfactory job of expressing applicable policies. Those policies are more properly detailed below.

Citi Merchant Services and First Data do process firearms transactions. Our policy restrictions address only the sale of firearms in a non face-to-face environment. Non face-to-face transactions occur when a cardholder is not present in front of a merchant and includes mail order and online purchases. It is our policy not to service merchants that make non face-to-face sales in a number of industries, including firearms.

It is not the policy of Citi Merchant Services or First Data to refuse to process transactions from duly licensed merchants that sell firearms in face-to-face transactions at the point of sale.

The posting also incorrectly states that Robert Tenenbaum is the supervisor when, in fact, he is not.

dihappy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dihappy »

Thank you for your message. The posting at http://www.nssf.org regarding Citi Merchant Services and First Data Corp. is inaccurate. Further, while we generally do not comment on individual merchant customers, we would like to briefly address the 12/26 letter posted on the web site. Regretfully, that letter did a less than satisfactory job of expressing applicable policies. Those policies are more properly detailed below.

This response is in contradiction to what they initially did to upset customers in the first place. The original company was not breaking any laws that im aware of, yet they refused to process their credit card transactions.

lawrnk
Posts in topic: 4

Post by lawrnk »

Citi credit card canceled today, with a email letting them know why.
Member- TSRA
Life Member- NRA

lawrnk

Post by lawrnk »

dihappy wrote:

This response is in contradiction to what they initially did to upset customers in the first place. The original company was not breaking any laws that im aware of, yet they refused to process their credit card transactions.

So ordering out of state is still banned. They will lose every account I have. Wife thinks we have a few more
Member- TSRA
Life Member- NRA

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

For those who may have missed my earlier post :smilelol5: , here is the link to the NRA website to apply for the NRA affiliate credit card. If you cancel a Citi card, but sure to let them know why. I don't like what Citi/FirstData has done, but I'm more concerned that other companies will follow.

Chas.

Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:For those who may have missed my earlier post :smilelol5: , here is the link to the NRA website to apply for the NRA affiliate credit card. If you cancel a Citi card, but sure to let them know why. I don't like what Citi/FirstData has done, but I'm more concerned that other companies will follow.

Chas.
Uh - where is that link?

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

lawrnk

Post by lawrnk »

A list of other CITI brands

Citibank, providing consumer banking products.
Banamex, largest Mexican bank
Banco Cuscatlan, El Salvador biggest bank.
Banco Uno, Central America largest credit card bank.
Citimortgage, mortgage lender
CitiInsurance, insurance provider
Citicapital, Institutional financial services
Citifinancial, Consumer finance aka subprime lending
Citigroup Alternative Investments, Global Wealth Management
Diners Club, credit cards.
Primerica, engages in direct selling of financial services
Smith Barney, investment services, both retail full service brokerage, private client services, and formerly the brand name used for the investment bank
CitiCards, Credit Cards
Credicard / Credicard Citi, credit cards business in Brazil
Citigroup recently acquired the Egg brand when it purchased Egg Banking plc, the worlds largest internet bank, from Prudential.
Member- TSRA
Life Member- NRA

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”