HOW DO YOU PROMOTE CHL?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
shootthesheet
Posts in topic: 2

HOW DO YOU PROMOTE CHL?

Post by shootthesheet »

I was in Academy in Abilene today, again. I overheard one of the male employees at the gun counter boasting how a CHL would improve the process of buying a gun. I have heard him do this several times over the past few months, I guess. I wanted to let everyone here know how inspired I am, by this man, to work harder to spread the word about CHL. I will tell him so when/if I am ever able to talk to him without making people having to wait in line.

My question to you is, if for no other reason than to promote thought, how do you promote CHL with those around you? :headscratch
http://gunrightsradio.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike1951
Posts in topic: 5

Re: HOW DO YOU PROMOTE CHL?

Post by Mike1951 »

Actually, I don't, unless I'm approached.

I have a couple of reasons:

1. It's a very personal decision for someone to make.

2. You are actually announcing, in an indirect sort of way, that you yourself have a CHL and I don't choose to do this.

Once someone expresses a desire or an interest, I will do anything I can to assist them or inform.

But I have two close friends that I haven't convinced yet. One never had a CHL and the other chose to let his lapse.

And while the NICS bypass is convenient, I really hope no one gets a CHL for that reason.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 1

Post by seamusTX »

Ditto, Mike.

The only assertive thing that I do is speak up if I hear someone saying something that is factually wrong, like "anybody can buy a machine gun at a gun show" (which doesn't have much to do with CHL, but it sometimes leads to a fuller discussion).

I will take anyone shooting and answer any questions that they have, but few have taken my offer.

- Jim

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

My UPS driver approached me and I gave him my phone and agreed to meet him at any gun show to help him select a handgun.

That was several shows back and I haven't heard from him.

I have a couple of guest passes for my range and I frequently offer to take folks to the range.

Also, few takers.

No one makes this decision until they're ready to.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Mike1951 wrote:Actually, I don't, unless I'm approached.
I agree with Mike1951 for basically the same reasons. As far as trying to convince people to get a CHL, I have given up. A few people have asked me questions about where to take the courses, and I tell them to come by the office and I will give them the information. So far, nobody has taken me up on it.

I figure if and when they are really serious they will make the effort just like I did.
NRA Endowment Member

Stupid

Post by Stupid »

I got CHL exactly for the bypass.
Mike1951 wrote:Actually, I don't, unless I'm approached.

And while the NICS bypass is convenient, I really hope no one gets a CHL for that reason.
Please help the wounded store owner who fought off 3 robbers. He doesn't have medical insurance.
http://www.giveforward.com/ramoncastillo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.click2houston.com/news/26249961/detail.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

Stupid wrote:I got CHL exactly for the bypass.
In that case, I hope you buy enough guns to get your money's worth.

Forgive me for wanting to believe that all of us got our CHL because of lifelong beliefs and deep convictions and in some cases a real need.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

nitrogen

Post by nitrogen »

There's an old thread that sometimes gets some necromancy going, "never again let anyone know that you carry."
The thread is here
It's a good read for some of the reasons mentioned above.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

dukalmighty

Post by dukalmighty »

Subject came up last night and this guy actually said i don't need a gun i don't put myself in those situations,beides my daddy said if you got a knife or a gun you will be tempted to use it :shock: I said well I guess if somebody breaks in my house looking to rob me i put myself in that position,or the lady sleeping in her bed at night that gets attacked put herself in that position,or buying an item in a convenience store it gets robbed and i put myself in that position.Then he said wellll i'm a felon and can't own a gun anyway.It really makes me wanna :banghead: when people seem to think as long as i don't break laws or go in bad neighborhoods it won't happen to me,Last time i checked bad guys have cars and will travel to rob people,or will take your car to go rob more people.I try not to get into arguments with peoplethat are totally anti gun i will point out the pros and cons of concealed carry or even home defense,It tends to be one sided ;-)
It is said that if you line up all the cars in the world end-to-end, someone would be stupid enough to try to pass them

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

dukalmighty wrote:tends to be one sided ;-)
Yep, :fire :cryin you got that right!!! "rlol"
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

phddan

Post by phddan »

Everyone in my community knows me and my wife have CHL's. A couple of them are pretty interested in getting theirs. Some have no interest at all.
I am hoping to close the deal with one neighbor in particular this year.
I don't push the idea. They come ask questions, and I relate different stories of self deffence, or lack therof.

Dan

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Mike1951 wrote: And while the NICS bypass is convenient, I really hope no one gets a CHL for that reason.
Why not? Is one reason more noble than another? Some folks routinely get denied or delayed because of a similar name in the NICS database. it's a real pain when one has to travel any distance to get his deal and then gets a 3 day day hold. Reading posts in this forum I find that people get a CHL for all kinds of reasons and one reason isn't particularly more noble than the next. I got mine just so I could take my 1 handgun to the range without being hassled. I know of others who got theirs "just in case they decide to carry one day". Are these folks reasons less important than Joe Tactical, the guy who never goes out the door without his 511 vest 4 Mags a 911 and a Glock BUG. Everyone has their own reasoning and Texas law say we don't have to justify why, and thats just the way it should be.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

The youth minister at my church is turning 21 in March. For his birthday, I'm going to pay to put him through the course.
NRA lifetime member

mbw

Post by mbw »

How do you promote CHL?

To the people that are already interested in firearms there are many ways to promote CHL. The ease of a new purchase, being legal transporting your weapons etc.

However, the larger audience out there are not really steeped in firearms the way that some are. I think that the best way to promote the whole CHL package is to stress the legal aspect. Even if they decide not to carry, everyone can benefit from learning what Texas law actually says about deadly force issues.

How many of you have heard the old saw about “If you shoot them, drag them in the house before you call the police?� and other tales about use of deadly force? How many people here knew before taking the CHL course that deadly force could be used against “Malicious mischief at your homestead in the nighttime�? How about “defense of another persons property?. The list goes on and on.

Snake Doctor

Post by Snake Doctor »

I get asked about guns ALL THE TIME, just because friends know that I shoot competitively and am an avid firearms fan. Unless they ask specifically about the CHL or ask questions about the legality of carrying a gun, I stay away from the subject. It's not something I like to spread around, though when someone knows, I'm happy to enlighten them on the subject.

Side note: Does anyone else find that talking about this stuff, especially the legal aspects, can become quite taxing in a hurry? Questions like, "So would you just shoot a guy if he was near you in an alley" are both ludicrous and irritating.
Nemo me impune lacessit.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”