First LEO encounter since having CHL

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
pharvey
Posts in topic: 3

First LEO encounter since having CHL

Post by pharvey »

Well Merry Christmas to me. While driving from Houston to New Braunfels for a family Christmas get together I was honored to meet one of our TX DPS officers. 12:03 am Christmas morning two exits before Luling on I 10. He approached passenger side requesting Id and INS I presented tdl and chl wife couldn't find current ins card. She gave him an expired card. oops. He asked if I was carrying. I said yes. He asked where. I replied 3 o'clock keeping my hands on the steering wheel. (Comp-Tac c-tac. Really great holster.) He responds are you law enforcement. No sir, I reply. Keep your weapon in its holster he says. I think...what in the world would possess me to unholster my weapon during a perfectly good traffic stop. I said yes sir.

As i recieved my ticket I wished Officer Turk a merry Christmas and He responded in kind as he handed me my ticket. Not trying to be like that just doing my job. I had to laugh at that one.

Other than recieving a ticket I thought it was a picture perfect stop. Even on Christmas day the officer was curtious. He did not issue a no insurance ticket which he could have. You know the drill. We have coverage just didn't have current proof of Ins. i deserved the ticket and have no complaints.

Merry Christmas and happy new year.

Glock 23
Posts in topic: 1

Re: First LEO encounter since having CHL

Post by Glock 23 »

so were you speeding or what? you didnt say why you initially pulled over.

still, a ticket on xmas day, surely the first he wrote that day.
He must have been in the giving mood

dukalmighty

Post by dukalmighty »

I'm thinking maybe his Reindeer left a present he didn't get with the pooper scooper :lol:
It is said that if you line up all the cars in the world end-to-end, someone would be stupid enough to try to pass them

tfrazier

Post by tfrazier »

Kudos to you! It is so refreshing to see people admit they deserved a citation and take their lumps. It is a tribute to the type of folks who become CHL holders that they generally are willing to accept responsibility for their actions instead of broadbrushing the entire law enforcement community because they got a ticket.

Topic author
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Oh yeah...He pulled me over for speeding. The citation stated I was doing 81 in a 65. I surely do not blame the officer. I just wish he wasn't paying attention when I drove by.

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

pharvey wrote:Oh yeah...He pulled me over for speeding. The citation stated I was doing 81 in a 65. I surely do not blame the officer. I just wish he wasn't paying attention when I drove by.
Interesting choice of words. ;-) So how fast were you going? :lol::
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Topic author
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

At that point I'm sure I was doing 81. :lol:

striker55

Post by striker55 »

I got stopped around Shulenburg on I-10, was moving at posted speed limit with around 5 cars, I was around the middle. Passed by a trooper parked on the side of the road and noticed in my mirror him pulling out. I was wondering who he was after, he pulled up just ahead of me then slowed down and got behind me, put his lights on. I knew right away it was because I did not have a front license plate (1995 camaro). I promptly pulled over and got out my drivers license and chl and put my wallet on the dash. He walked to the passenger side, wife had 2 chihuahua's barking their heads off. So he came around my side, told me why he stopped me. My wife told him we took it off to paint the front bumper and did not put it back. He said he noticed the fresh paint, I handed him my license's and he asked if I had my gun with me and if it was in the console. I told him it was on my hip, he said thats fine. Got a written warning and on my way. Dont know if the CHL helped or not but was on my way. Funny thing I had just read that morning in the chronicle about the Houston Texan who got pulled over because he had no front plate.

zbordas

Post by zbordas »

My wife got a warning for not having a front license plate after 4 years. I wonder why do they let cars pass the state inspection without it.

numist

Post by numist »

zbordas wrote:My wife got a warning for not having a front license plate after 4 years. I wonder why do they let cars pass the state inspection without it.
I'm sure that those inspection rules could use a tune-up. They say that you have to have windshield wipers but there's no mention of having to have a windshield. Of course you will have to make arraingements for where you will display the sticker :smilelol5:
Educate ignorance, reward excellence and severely punish stupidity.

NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt »

numist wrote:
zbordas wrote:My wife got a warning for not having a front license plate after 4 years. I wonder why do they let cars pass the state inspection without it.
I'm sure that those inspection rules could use a tune-up. They say that you have to have windshield wipers but there's no mention of having to have a windshield. Of course you will have to make arrangements for where you will display the sticker :smilelol5:
The point of the inspection is to verify the safety of the vehicle, not to make sure people have all their paperwork in order. If you had to verify the plates, people moving from out of state would never be able to bring their cars with them. It takes proof of inspection to get a new registration and plates for your vehicle. If the inspection were to require plates, an ever-growing swath of people would be caught in a procedural catch-22.
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

RHZig

Post by RHZig »

Id'a let you slide. :coolgleamA:
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

The purpose of the vehicle inspection is to generate revenue for the State. If it had anything to do with safety, I wouldn't see some of the deathtraps on the road that I do.
Byron Dickens

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”