S&W Sigma, M&P, or Ruger SR9?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Crash
Posts in topic: 1

S&W Sigma, M&P, or Ruger SR9?

Post by Crash »

The Academy store on Loop 1604 in San Antonio has Sigmas for $299 and M&Ps for $499. This includes a mail-in coupon which gets you $50 back and two extra magazines. I handled one of each in 9mm today and, despite having small hands, they fit pretty well. However, I’m also thinking about the Ruger SR9, if and when I can find one for sale--neither Academy nor Sportsman’s Warehouse (at least the ones on Loop 1604) has any in stock.

Any recommendations as to reliability and durability of these three guns?

Crash

flb_78

Re: S&W Sigma, M&P, or Ruger SR9?

Post by flb_78 »

I've never shot a sigma, but I've heard that they are a "cheap" gun.

The M&P's are supposed to be very nice.

The SR9 is supposed to be "bullet-proof". Guns and Ammo just published their test of the SR9, 12,000 rounds with no cleaning and it shot better than new. Check http://www.galleryofguns.com , they have it on sale for $413 at most of their shops.

I personally have a Taurus PT24/7 Pro 9mm. over 1000 rounds and no problems, except it wont shoot Monarch brand ammo. You may wanna look at it.
http://www.AmarilloGunOwners.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nitrogen

Post by nitrogen »

The M&P is the best striker/plastic gun i've ever shot.

I'd heartily recommend it to anyone.

The S&W Sigma ruined S&W's rep for semiautios for a reason; they have awful triggers.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

SRVA

Post by SRVA »

Get the M&P. You can't do better.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

nitrogen wrote:The M&P is the best striker/plastic gun i've ever shot.

I'd heartily recommend it to anyone.

The S&W Sigma ruined S&W's rep for semiautios for a reason; they have awful triggers.
I have a Sigma in .40. The trigger gets better over time, but they are pretty heavy and gritty until worn down. As most DAO guns, the pull is long.

If you are the least bit handy there are instructions on the Internet on how to do a buff and polish on the connector and sear assembly that does smooth things out faster.

I have had no FTF's with it, so think it is pretty reliable. Overall, they are not bad for the price. However, if you can go with the M&P it will probably be better out of the box and better in the long run.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

kitty

Post by kitty »

I have an M&P and I love it. It has adjustable grips on it that are very easy to interchange. It's a very nice gun. I like it better than my Springfield XD.

lawrnk

Post by lawrnk »

I thought about incinerating my Sigma. Other than the world war II Liberator, the sigma is the most worthless gun ever made. I ended up trading it. I'd strongly advise against buying one. I've not shot that ruger, but I have a ruger I enjoy.
Member- TSRA
Life Member- NRA

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

lawrnk wrote:I thought about incinerating my Sigma. Other than the world war II Liberator, the sigma is the most worthless gun ever made. I ended up trading it. I'd strongly advise against buying one. I've not shot that ruger, but I have a ruger I enjoy.
yeah, cause the HiPoint is a bundle of joy, too :roll:

anyway, get the M&P. if you can afford a better gun, get a better gun IMO.
I know nusseen about the Rugers,
*edit* oops, that was the new Sig 250.

get one of those, too! :lol:
Last edited by DoubleJ on Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

My vote is for the M&P. I have been fortunate to shoot the M&P in 9, 40, and 45. It is a great platform.

I have very small hands and at last a gun manufacturer has come out with a full size gun that I can shoot with a proper grip.

I have over 23,000 rounds through my 9 and it has never given me any trouble!

PM me if you would like to know more.
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

striker55

Post by striker55 »

I got the Sigma 9mm for Christmas, shot 200 rounds so far. I'm getting better with it. My first double action trigger so I have to get used to it, like I said it's getting better. I can keep most hits in the 9 ring at 7 yards and that's all you need for personal protection (according to what I've read). It's a cheap gun but I like it for now, sure is a lot lighter carrying than my 1911 and carrys more ammo.

rguerra911

Post by rguerra911 »

i have a sigma in the .40. it is a decent gun. i have had some ftf's but narrowed it down to ammo. it is a gun that you can carry and not worry about it too much because they are only 299. all though the trigger is rough it does get better. the m&p is definitly a upgrade to the sigma. it is better made and the trigger is alot smoother. all around a better gun. if you can afford the m&p, go for it. i do not have any know how of the ruger. cant help u there. my .02 :txflag:

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Friend bought a sigma & I shot it a couple of yrs ago. I will never own one.
M&Ps have a good reputation.
I will shoot a SR9 tomorrow w/ a friend. He just got it.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

jhearne
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jhearne »

Longtooth was referring to me about the SR9, I shot 70 rounds through it in some excersises with LT and I was plenty happy with it, no FTF, feeds, fires, or ejects. 100% functionality from it. As for the Sigma, my wifes LEO friend just bought one, it was cheap price but says it jams on the second round, may need the feed ramp touched up sounds like, not sure. My uncle is an LEO in FT Worth and says sigmas are a no no, though he is a Ruger fan and carries a Sig 226 on duty. The M&P is a great platform from what I hear, I have not shot one yet, but have held a couple in 9 and 45 and the grip is just to beefy for my tastes, I love the way my SR9 feels in my hands. If you have held a P95 or P944 or the .45 older variant and feel the grip is too thick take a look at the SR9 if you can. I got mine for 433 tax included otd.

Josh

Liko81

Post by Liko81 »

If you have held a P95 or P944 or the .45 older variant and feel the grip is too thick take a look at the SR9 if you can.
I have held the SR9, and because I OWN a P95 and feel the grip is just right (with a Hand-All to boot) I think the SR9 is too thin. The pistol however, after about 2-300 rounds and with the mag disconnect removed, will never give you a problem. They are, like all Ruger centerfire autoloaders, VERY reliable. I like the XD grip and think the XD is a great pistol, but WHY do they use that flat slide release? It's one of the reasons I don't like Glocks!

Of the three, my personal fave is the M&P; it's very comfortable to hold (I'd probably put a Hogue on it as well though, but that's me), easy to manipulate, pretty decent barrel axis, and slim enough that even though it's just smaller than full-size it will conceal at 1, 4, or 6:00 without much effort. The 9mm is a double-stack 17-round like the SR9; if you want heavier rounds you'll sacrifice capacity of course. It's still a stamped slide release but not flat, so it's far easier to manipulate than the Glocks and XDs I've tried.

csay

Post by csay »

The Sigma is not nearly as bad as some say. The trigger is "different" and takes some getting used to. Having said that, my vote is for the M&P. I really like the ones I have. Don't know anything about the SR9, but it looks good.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”