Very positive experiences at DFW Gun Range

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Sangiovese
Posts in topic: 1

Very positive experiences at DFW Gun Range

Post by Sangiovese »

Just wanted to share some positive experiences I've had at DFW Gun Range in Dallas on Mockingbird.

Broached the subject of getting a gun for self defense and sport shooting with the wife a few months back. I had shot a lot previously, but mostly long guns.

She was receptive but cautious. Had never even held a firearm before. So we decided to take a beginner's course together so she would at least know the basics when we had one in the house.

Took an intro to handguns class and had an amazing instructor. Things went well until we went out to the range. She cringed every time someone on the line shot. When she fired for the first time... I thought we were going home early. She was scared to death by it. The instructor stepped in and talked to her about what she was feeling and why. Got her calmed down and she managed to finish a box of ammo.

Went back the next week and she got an hour of individual instruction from another of their instructors... and she not only got more comfortable... she enjoyed it. Kudos again to another great instructor.

We started going regularly and everyone in the place was very nice, never made her feel self conscious, and took an active role in making her feel welcome.

About a month later, she decided that she wanted a pistol of her own! We rented several guns there but didn't find anything she really liked. Suggestions on forums lead us to think she might like a Bersa Thunder .380 but the rnge didn't have one to rent. When we mentioned this at the range, one of the employees offered to bring their personal Bersa Thunder in for her to try! A few days later she tried it, and we bought one that night.

Another month has passed and due to the extremely positive experiences she has had there, she is always asking me, "When are we going to the range?" Heck, she has even gone by herself twice in the past week while I am out of town on business!

I took my CHL class there also and had a really good instructor for that as well.

I think that her newfound hobby is a direct result of the staff's attitudes and actions. If anyone in the area is looking for a nice range to shoot at, especially if they have someone who wants to try shooting but is hesitant, I highly recommend DFW Gun Range.

I would definitely be posting if I had a bad experience there, so I figure it is only fair to share the many good experiences I've had over the past few months.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

That is the way it should always work. Congratulations. :anamatedbanana

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 2

Post by txinvestigator »

Glad you had a good experience. However, those guys are not "instructors". None of the counter guys have any instructor training. They get a commission for doing the 2 hour instruction. The manager assigns who does each one.

Does that take away from your experience? Absolutely not. Sounds like it was well worth it.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Glad yall had a good experience.

If its like around here, a girls night out usually is a range trip. (hide your ammo)
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Vic9mm

Re: Very positive experiences at DFW Gun Range

Post by Vic9mm »

Sangiovese wrote:Just wanted to share some positive experiences I've had at DFW Gun Range in Dallas on Mockingbird.

Broached the subject of getting a gun for self defense and sport shooting with the wife a few months back. I had shot a lot previously, but mostly long guns.

She was receptive but cautious. Had never even held a firearm before. So we decided to take a beginner's course together so she would at least know the basics when we had one in the house.

Took an intro to handguns class and had an amazing instructor. Things went well until we went out to the range. She cringed every time someone on the line shot. When she fired for the first time... I thought we were going home early. She was scared to death by it. The instructor stepped in and talked to her about what she was feeling and why. Got her calmed down and she managed to finish a box of ammo.

Went back the next week and she got an hour of individual instruction from another of their instructors... and she not only got more comfortable... she enjoyed it. Kudos again to another great instructor.

We started going regularly and everyone in the place was very nice, never made her feel self conscious, and took an active role in making her feel welcome.

About a month later, she decided that she wanted a pistol of her own! We rented several guns there but didn't find anything she really liked. Suggestions on forums lead us to think she might like a Bersa Thunder .380 but the rnge didn't have one to rent. When we mentioned this at the range, one of the employees offered to bring their personal Bersa Thunder in for her to try! A few days later she tried it, and we bought one that night.

Another month has passed and due to the extremely positive experiences she has had there, she is always asking me, "When are we going to the range?" Heck, she has even gone by herself twice in the past week while I am out of town on business!

I took my CHL class there also and had a really good instructor for that as well.

I think that her newfound hobby is a direct result of the staff's attitudes and actions. If anyone in the area is looking for a nice range to shoot at, especially if they have someone who wants to try shooting but is hesitant, I highly recommend DFW Gun Range.

I would definitely be posting if I had a bad experience there, so I figure it is only fair to share the many good experiences I've had over the past few months.
Sounds like you had a good time there. I went there one time and never again will I go back. I went there for some range practice and it took 30 mins for somebody to even ask me if I needed any help. When I asked to see a gun, they gave me an attitude, the guy rolled his eyes and ask are you planning to buy something. I kinda just looked at him and walked out of that place. Now Targetmasters on Jupitor Rd is awsome I love it there these people are nice they talked to me about what gun would be a good buy for me, as soon as i walked in they said "can I help you today" and "if you would like to see a gun just let me know" They let see the guns I wanted with no attitude and talked to me about different gun brands. I wont ever go to another range, Targetmasters made a customer for life.
Image FREEZ SUCKA!!!

starrbuck

Post by starrbuck »

I tried to go to DFW Gun Range last Saturday and every parking space near it (or even close to it) was taken. I guess Saturdays are a busy day around there. :(

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 2

Post by txinvestigator »

starrbuck wrote:I tried to go to DFW Gun Range last Saturday and every parking space near it (or even close to it) was taken. I guess Saturdays are a busy day around there. :(
2 CHL classes and every other Sat a Guard class, then 2 martial classses. Thats 50 or so people.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

BrassMonkey

Post by BrassMonkey »

This is the first honest, positive thing I have heard about DFW Gun since Goldberg sold the place years ago. I am not thrilled with their, service, offerings, pricing since that time, but this is just personal opinion... I am also extremely picky and have high expectations of wherever I chose to spend my money, more so then most people I think...
BrassMonkey, that funky monkey....
===========================
Springfield TRP
Glock 22
Glock 21
Walther P22

cyphur

Post by cyphur »

I've had good experiences at DFW Gun range myself. Took the wife along for one range trip, she quickly learned she did not like indoor ranges due to the noise and enclosed space.

numist

Post by numist »

Went to DFW range today. I found the experience very comfortable. The staff was helpful and answered all the questions I had. The range was a little on the warm side (80 degrees outside) but not terrible. Guess the a/c wasn't on since it has been a little cool lately.
I went through 150 rounds with my wheels; model 19 and model 37. First time in an indoor range in many years and I will definately go back.

OnTexasTime

Post by OnTexasTime »

I have been going there about twice a month since last May and have been happy with the place. I go on week night evenings rather than Saturdays. The help has been helpful when needed. Only once was the place too crowded and everybody seemed to be needing the attention of the employees at the same time.

Never have bought a gun from them, their prices are full retail. Sometimes it is worth paying a little more and not having to spend your time and effort searching for better price and then having it shipped in. Particularly if you are not trading guns all the time.

If you have an interest in Civil War History I recommend you check out:

http://www.pearcecollections.us/civilwar.php

Skipper5

Post by Skipper5 »

previous quote by another...[I would definitely be posting if I had a bad experience there, so I figure it is only fair to share the many good experiences I've had over the past few months.[/quote] Sounds like you had a good time there. I went there one time and never again will I go back. I went there for some range practice and it took 30 mins for somebody to even ask me if I needed any help. When I asked to see a gun, they gave me an attitude, the guy rolled his eyes and ask are you planning to buy something. I kinda just looked at him and walked out of that place. Now Targetmasters on Jupitor Rd is awsome I love it there these people are nice they talked to me about what gun would be a good buy for me, as soon as i walked in they said "can I help you today" and "if you would like to see a gun just let me know" They let see the guns I wanted with no attitude and talked to me about different gun brands. I wont ever go to another range, Targetmasters made a customer for life.[/quote]

Ditto +1 Great Family ownership!!!
Last edited by Skipper5 on Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
TX CHL Holder
NRA Life Member
TSRA Member - Yes to Castle Doctrine! Success!!

Syntax360

Post by Syntax360 »

Chalk me up as another thoroughly dissatisfied ex-customer of DFW gun club (because of reasons already mentioned).

Glad you had fun, though! Always good to know there is another converted gun enthusiast here in the metroplex. :smile:

45 4 life

Post by 45 4 life »

Syntax360 wrote:Chalk me up as another thoroughly dissatisfied ex-customer of DFW gun club (because of reasons already mentioned).
BrassMonkey wrote:This is the first honest, positive thing I have heard about DFW Gun since Goldberg sold the place years ago. I am not thrilled with their, service, offerings, pricing since that time, but this is just personal opinion.

:iagree:
Don't Confuse the Issues With the Facts

XDguy

Post by XDguy »

Not my favorite place, but I have never had a really bad experience either. Pretty expensive for non-members.

Return to “Shooting Ranges”