I stopped lurking and joined the fun

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Toolguy
Posts in topic: 7

I stopped lurking and joined the fun

Post by Toolguy »

Howdy! I received my instruction from ElGato on Nov. 3 (that is a great class!) and sent off my paperwork on Nov. 21. ElGato recommended this site and I am glad he did. Now, I am just waiting around, reading the forum posts, reading about the laws of different states, and trying to decide which of the many carry options I most like. I just purchased and am breaking in a new Sig P220 Carry .45. ElGato let me test with a full size P220 .45 and I loved it. I used to think I was a bad shot, but Sigs are NICE. I have not decided how I will carry. I'll be glad to hear any advice from the experienced carry folks, including vests, shirt-over- tees, holsters, etc. I am also becoming much more aware of news events involving shootings and CHL. Well, thanks to Mr. Cotton for a great site for the free expression and exchange of ideas on "the right of the people to keep and bear arms".

Lumberjack98
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Lumberjack98 »

Welcome to the party. Stay away from the weird guy in the corner talking to himself. :lol:
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

bpet
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bpet »

Welcome Toolguy!

This place is a hoot! Not only does it pass the time, it's chuck full of good stuff and is never short on opinion. Be sure to check out the entire forum. There's good stuff in each section.

Hope the plastic comes soon.
"Limit politicians to two terms. One in office and one in jail!" (Borrowed from an anonymous donor)

LarryH

Post by LarryH »

Lumberjack98 wrote:Stay away from the weird guy in the corner talking to himself.
Which one?

Lumberjack98

Post by Lumberjack98 »

LarryH wrote:
Lumberjack98 wrote:Stay away from the weird guy in the corner talking to himself.
Which one?
Good point. There are a lot of corners in this room.
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

KC5AV
Posts in topic: 3

Post by KC5AV »

And probably more than a few weird guys.
:lol:
NRA lifetime member

badkarma56

Re: I stopped lurking and joined the fun

Post by badkarma56 »

Toolguy wrote:Howdy! I received my instruction from ElGato on Nov. 3 (that is a great class!) and sent off my paperwork on Nov. 21. I just purchased and am breaking in a new Sig P220 Carry .45. ElGato let me test with a full size P220 .45 and I loved it. I used to think I was a bad shot, but Sigs are NICE...
Welcome aboard, Toolguy. It's good to hear that you're getting squared-away with your "plastic" and "tools"...stick around, eventually, you might even decide to get serious and "step it on up" from a Sig to an H&K! ;-)

Just kiddin', my P226 Navy is a great shooter!
Online CHL App Completed: 25JUN07
CHL App Packet Received from DPS: 29JUN07
CHL Class: 7JUL07
CHL App Sent to DPS: 9JUL07
DPS Received CHL App: 12JUL07
DPS "Processing App": 25JUL07
DPS "App Completed": 15AUG07
CHL In-Hand: 17AUG07

Topic author
Toolguy

Post by Toolguy »

Thanks to all for the greetings. I am sure everyone will agree that receiving our CHL is just the beginning of our training, which is why I plan to make plenty of use of this resource.

Badkarma, I actually looked at an H&K .45 and they are nice, but other than name and reputation, I know very little about them. I like to buy what I know and I don't like spending money on something I have not tried out. I am sure I'll get a chance one of these days to pull the trigger on an H&K. Thanks again for the greeting!

elwood blooz

Post by elwood blooz »

Welcome Toolguy!

badkarma56

Post by badkarma56 »

Toolguy wrote:Thanks to all for the greetings. I am sure everyone will agree that receiving our CHL is just the beginning of our training, which is why I plan to make plenty of use of this resource.

Badkarma, I actually looked at an H&K .45 and they are nice, but other than name and reputation, I know very little about them. I like to buy what I know and I don't like spending money on something I have not tried out. I am sure I'll get a chance one of these days to pull the trigger on an H&K. Thanks again for the greeting!
No worries, dude. Sig Sauer makes a darn fine pistol as well, particularly the P226 or P220. About three months back, I decided to add a .45 to the stable. My normal carry piece is a USP Compact/9mm, but I also wanted to have a reliable, no-nonsense .45 caliber "carry option." ;-)

Anyhow, I test-fired a P220 Elite and I really liked it. A nice, smooth weapon indeed. However, I eventually ended up going with a USP45 primarily because I preferred the lightweight polymer frame of the H&K for carry applications. Plus, I like the USP's ability to be carried in condition-1...just my personal preference there.

The newer HK45 looks and feels cool, but I haven't been able to fire one yet. The enhanced ergonomics of the HK45's grip are an improvement over the USP series, but nearly every other aspect of the design seems identical to the USP. Additionally, the HK45 sacrifices 2 rounds (10 round mag + 1 in the pipe) in mag capacity in order to achieve a slightly slimmer grip profile (my USP has a capacity of 12+1).

Oh well, I'll probably end up with a P220 and an HK45 eventually anyway! :cool:
Online CHL App Completed: 25JUN07
CHL App Packet Received from DPS: 29JUN07
CHL Class: 7JUL07
CHL App Sent to DPS: 9JUL07
DPS Received CHL App: 12JUL07
DPS "Processing App": 25JUL07
DPS "App Completed": 15AUG07
CHL In-Hand: 17AUG07

Topic author
Toolguy

Post by Toolguy »

Well, it seems I am still lurking around here, only now I am a member. I have been checking out the waiting room and other areas on site (while taking a trip now and then to the range) and I noticed that others have been receiving their PIN after sending in their packet at about the same time I did (Nov 21). Well, I then noticed, to my disgust, that I did not send my packet with a return receipt. Oops. :oops: Well, not much I can do about that, but I am wondering, would I gain anything by calling and speaking with someone in Austin? I did not even know about the PIN until I starting reading posts here. I am sure that the holidays had some effect, but I cannot help but wonder why I have not received it by now. :headscratch

Anyone have any comments or suggestions? I guess, as some have pointed out, that if I had my PIN, I would just spend more time checking the state web site. I guess I should just go shopping for a holster and such and spend more time at the range.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Toolguy wrote:... I noticed that others have been receiving their PIN after sending in their packet at about the same time I did (Nov 21). Well, I then noticed, to my disgust, that I did not send my packet with a return receipt. Oops. :oops: Well, not much I can do about that, but I am wondering, would I gain anything by calling and speaking with someone in Austin?
You should call DPS. You're way past due to get the PIN letter.

Did you send a personal check, and was it deposited?

- Jim

Topic author
Toolguy

Post by Toolguy »

seamusTX wrote:You should call DPS. You're way past due to get the PIN letter.

Did you send a personal check, and was it deposited?

- Jim
Thanks, I'll call on Monday. No, I did not send a personal check, I sent a bank check. I am sure I can find out from the bank if it has been cashed. I'll call them also.

Topic author
Toolguy

Post by Toolguy »

Well, I called DPS this morning and was told that they had started working on my application on Friday. I guess that means that it is "in process". They said that I would receive my PIN in a few days by mail. They also said that if I was interested, I could send an email to the DPS/CHL web site and they would send it to me via email. I think I can wait for the mail. My goal is the CHL, not the PIN. So, I am still waiting. :yawn At least I am in good company.

KC5AV
Posts in topic: 3

Post by KC5AV »

Good luck with your wait. This is a very good place to pass the time. You will find a lot of invaluable information, and you just might get to know some pretty neat folks.

John
NRA lifetime member

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”