Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Moonpie
Posts in topic: 2

Asbestos suit required for entry

Post by Moonpie »

Everyone has their favorites.
Thought it might be fun to discuss guns that you REFUSE to own.
We can all assume stuff like Lorcin, Jennings, Bryco,TEC9, etc can be left out.
What are the brands of guns you just will not have?
Be civil. No yelling or damaged egos allowed.

Me: Taurus and Rossi. Both have given me lots of trouble.

HighVelocity
Posts in topic: 1

Post by HighVelocity »

I'll go first, but I'll take my nomex drag racing suit over asbestos. :lol:

I've owned a few pistols over the last 20+ years and I can confidently say that Kel-tec is highly unlikely to get any of my money in the future.
Two guns = two duds. Thanks but no thanks. However, their customer service was top notch so I'll give them credit for that.

Flame away.. :razz:
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

Liberty
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Liberty »

Colt 1911
Tried once didn't like at all. Guess I like new techy type things, Old traditional things are best for values and beliefs. Maybe someday though I will get a revolver, but no desire for those old Colt autos.
Not enough plastic What good good is a gun without some plastic.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I've shot a number of the 1911 model and always had stovepipes in each one.

I've NEVER had a single one with my Glock with hundreds of rounds shot.

Or any Glock for that matter.

So, no one's 1911 for me.

Kimber, Wilson or any of them.

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

I won't own a Glock. One of the most ucomfortable guns made, and you have to press the trigger to take it apart to clean? No thanks.

Other than that, it is just the cheapies; Bersa, Kel-Tec, High Point, High Standard, Rossi, Jennings, Charter, etc.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

HighVelocity wrote:I'll go first, but I'll take my nomex drag racing suit over asbestos. :lol:

I've owned a few pistols over the last 20+ years and I can confidently say that Kel-tec is highly unlikely to get any of my money in the future.
Two guns = two duds. Thanks but no thanks. However, their customer service was top notch so I'll give them credit for that.

Flame away.. :razz:
I would not take one for free(seriously...I would not give it to a friend after shooting one).....you put the flames off on my back and I will return the favor! :grin:

Funny how we all have different opinions....if it is not a Glock, chances are I am not going to buy it. Most comfortable gun out there for me.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

lrb111

Post by lrb111 »

I stay away from the high dollar guns that have "great customer service" as their sole redeeming quality. Kimber comes to mind as an example.
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

HankB

Post by HankB »

I have a Colt NM . . . but after a bad experience with a Colt Mk IV Series 70 Jammamatic and Colt's warranty NON-service, I will never purchase another Colt of any type.

I will not own a polymer Kahr, after the multitude of problems I had with a P9.

The majority of SIG and S&W autos don't fit my hand, so I have no interest in them. (Especially the S&W's with mag disconnects.)

Despite the near-religious fervor of Walther fans, the guns don't impress me since I've seen more than a few with problems, and Walther tends to discontinue spares and service as soon as a new model is introduced.

Wilson Combat 1911s are overpriced and tend to have a lot of sharp edges; I've been in high-round-count classes where by the second day EVERY shooter with a Wilson Combat pistol had bandaged hands! :shock:
Original CHL: 2000: 56 day turnaround
1st renewal, 2004: 34 days
2nd renewal, 2008: 81 days
3rd renewal, 2013: 12 days

nitrogen

Post by nitrogen »

I'll never own another keltec.

I had a P3AT, and didn't like it. Too many others I know had horrible problems with kel-tec guns; and I will never own one again.

There are also perfectly good guns out there i'll never own.
For instance, I don't like Sigs.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

I won't own anything with a warning label. Everyone over the age of four knows it's an [emphatic adjective] deadly weapon.

I also won't buy anything from China unless it was a battlefield pickup (purely hypothetical at this point).

- Jim

nuparadigm

Post by nuparadigm »

A 1911. They're fun to shoot, but as a CHL piece, they're like a boat anchor.... even with a good belt.
The last train out of any station will not be filled with nice people.

Remember Newton and Azrak.

lws380

Post by lws380 »

seamusTX wrote:I won't own anything with a warning label. Everyone over the age of four knows it's an [emphatic adjective] deadly weapon.

I also won't buy anything from China unless it was a battlefield pickup (purely hypothetical at this point).

- Jim
I've got a chinese carbine that my dad brought back from Vietnam, does that count? It looks realy bad (condition) wise.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Liberty »

seamusTX wrote:I won't own anything with a warning label. Everyone over the age of four knows it's an [emphatic adjective] deadly weapon.

- Jim
OMG!
I just looked both my guns have warnings that one should read the manual. I never really paid attention before.
MY Ruger says"
BEFORE USING GUN-READ WARNINGS IN
INSTRUCTION MANUAL AVAILABLE FREE FROM
-----STORM, RUGER & CO., INC
I suppose this is useful in that it is telling a non original owner that there is a free manual available for the asking. while I don't find it offencive it is silly. All the same its prettty inobtrusive and carved into the purty black plastic in small letters I had a hard time reading it even with my glasses.
My Beretta has carved into frame just under the slide
WARNING READ MANUAL BEFORE USE. RETRACT
SLIDE TO SEE IF LOADED. FIRES WITHOUT MAGAZINE.
This is stamped into the genuine black anodized aluminum. at any rate it could be somewhat useful information to a second owner. Are these the types of labels you don't want? Does any gun come today without some kind of read the manual label?
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

seamusTX wrote:I won't own anything with a warning label.
But, but... I am particularly proud of the high-capacity pistols I own whose cases bear a great big sticker that reads: "NOT LEGAL IN CALIFORNIA." Warms the cockles of my little heart, and reminds me every time I see them that I have the good fortune of living in Texas. :grin:

Add me to the Kel-Tec list. I own one, and am currently studying schematics to see how easily I can turn it into a $300 cigar lighter.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

lws380 wrote:I've got a chinese carbine that my dad brought back from Vietnam, does that count? It looks realy bad (condition) wise.
That's a battlefield pickup. If I had the spare change I would buy one because of what it represents: The fight for freedom.

Also, the Chinese government did not profit from those weapons. They provided them to North Korea and Vietnam.
Liberty wrote:Are these the types of labels you don't want?
Yes, and I'm sorry if you're offended, especially because you are good guy and let me shoot your Ruger, which is a fine pistol otherwise.

The warning labels bother me on principle. To me, they imply "You're too stupid to know that this is a weapon."
Does any gun come today without some kind of read the manual label?
I looked at about 1,000 handguns at the NRA convention in 2005, and only a few brands had warning labels engraved or stamped into them.

I think our Remington shotguns had peel-off labels, but it's been a while since I bought them.
Skiprr wrote: I am particularly proud of the high-capacity pistols I own whose cases bear a great big sticker that reads: "NOT LEGAL IN CALIFORNIA."
Is that on the pistol itself or the magazine?

I can understand why you're proud, but the fact that such a thing can happen in the United States is sad.

- Jim

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”