In your opinion

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
KaleS
Posts in topic: 2

In your opinion

Post by KaleS »

In you opinion wh makes the best pistol, the Ferrari or guns? To make it a little more simple lest say it can only be a 9mm or larger, standard or carry sizes.

Personally I am a die hard Kimber fan, .45 CDP

PhilR.
Posts in topic: 1

Post by PhilR. »

Kimber is a factory-made gun. To me, more like a Corvette than a Ferrari as the Fer's factory in some places is more like a lab than a factory, with lots of hand fitting. That's one of the many reasons why Fer's are so expensive, as they cannot duplicate the efficiencies of mass production. A Corvette is a great and fast car that provides more bang for the buck than does a Ferrari, but it is still a mass-produced car nonetheless, and will never be a Ferrari. A Kimber will never be a custom 1911.

Something made by hand, such as those 1911's made by custom gun makers, would be much akin to a Ferrari than a Kimber. Also, a Korth or Hammerli or Feinwerkbau or Morini is made to a higher level of precision than a Kimber. Spend some time on the firing line of an ISSF event and you'll see what I mean. For factory pistols, those competition handguns IMO are closer to a Ferrari than a Kimber.

That's not to say that a Kimber can't be made into a competition handgun - it's just that they don't come that way.

PhilR.

Topic author
KaleS

Re: In your opinion

Post by KaleS »

KaleS wrote:In you opinion wh makes the best pistol, the Ferrari or guns? To make it a little more simple lest say it can only be a 9mm or larger, standard or carry sizes.

Personally I am a die hard Kimber fan, .45 CDP

Edited
Sorry my wording is was not specific enough... What is your favorite factory made pistol.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

You're going to get so many opinions on this, you'll be back where you started. But, let me be the first to give you mine. :lol: I'm an old Colt guy. I love Colt 191's with all their warts and faults. Colt QC ebbs and flows, but overall I think they are better than they were 10 years ago. My two carry guns are a customized SS Colt Commander and a Baer Thunder Ranch Special. I have a lot more that don't qualify as daily carry guns.

All that said, I have to admit that I think you get the most for your money these days with Springfield Loaded 1911s. I have two (one .45 ACP and one 38 Super) and the slide to frame fit is better than any Colt I've handled at guns shows for the last several years. Springfield's are not perfect, but they offer a lot of the features found on custom guns and they stand by them with customer service second to none.

Kimbers are also excellent guns. The Series II's have caused some controversy with their firing pin "safety" feature, but I can't comment on them; my wife's Kimber pre-dates the Series IIs.

Chas.

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:they stand by them with customer service second to none.Chas.
I am not really qualified to offer my opinion on the 1911 platform, but I agree 100% that Springfield Armory has amazing customer service. Out of all the customer service departments I have ever contacted.....SA is by far the best.

Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

jbirds1210 wrote:I am not really qualified to offer my opinion on the 1911 platform, . . .

Jason
You can remedy that!

Chas.

KinnyLee

Post by KinnyLee »

I like all my SA 1911s. They've all been reliable for me. I also have a series II Kimber with the dreaded external extractor. Funny, it doesn't malfunction when I was shooting it on a weekly basis. Next 1911 I want is the Springfield Custom Shop Custom Carry. :cool:

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

My favorite 1911 and by far the best shooter and most accurate is the one my husband built and I took for my own right after I met him!

It has a Vega frame and a Remington Rand slide, all hand fitted.

Houston1944

Post by Houston1944 »

My 2 S&W 1911's are excellent out of the box pistols. I think they are one of the best buys in a 1911 on the market today.

My best ever out of the box pistol is my Series I Kimber made in 1997. Kimber was really starting to dominate the 1911 market until they got silly with the Series II.

Stupid

Post by Stupid »

Ferrari is meant to show off, not to drive.

You need to clarify the application. The high end pistols, you are talking about Ed Brown. Production semi-custom pistols, that would be Springfield 1911 TRP.

Not I know anything about Springfield or 1911, I just want to have one of the TRPs.
Please help the wounded store owner who fought off 3 robbers. He doesn't have medical insurance.
http://www.giveforward.com/ramoncastillo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.click2houston.com/news/26249961/detail.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

frankie_the_yankee
Banned

Post by frankie_the_yankee »

Right out of the box, my Hammerli 208S in 22LR is the finest gun I have ever shot.

It shoots ragged hole groups at 50 yards. The trigger is perfect (fully adjustable of course), as is the weight and balance.
Ahm jus' a Southern boy trapped in a Yankee's body

mkim1120

Post by mkim1120 »

i own a few high end 1911's an ed brown exectuive carry, caspian custom w/ wilson internals, a caspian yost custom, and a dan wesson cbob along w/ some other ones

in my opinion kimbers are the geo metros when it comes to reliability
the ferraris are the ed browns, night hawks, yost's, les baers, and wilsons

just my 2 cents..

FightinAggieCHL
Posts in topic: 4

Post by FightinAggieCHL »

Geo metros get better gas mileage than do Ferraris.

Of course, I'd rather be in a Ferrari than a Geo Metro in an accident. Better crash ratings.
The right to bear arms shall NOT be infringed.

Always cheat; always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I am amazed that so many people pick the 1911. While I have only fired one once over 30 years ago.That one time convinced me that the well worn Government Issue I was using was a piece of junk. It was heavy, only 7 shots, not accurate, a tendancy to jam and it hurt the shooter after an afternoon of shooting. Maybe these newer sexier versions are that much better, but even after 30 years I still hold a grudge and won't go anywhere near them. Now the M9 / 92f is real nice. Its too bad our armed forces can't use the same ammo we civilians use. I still wouldn't call it a Ferrarri. They are still a just a $400 gun. Its a pretty good Chevy even if it is Italian in its roots. The Colt GI issue might be an Edsel that stalls at redlights. I haven't really found what is the Ferrarri of hand guns in my hands
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

FightinAggieCHL
Posts in topic: 4

Post by FightinAggieCHL »

Ferrari of handguns = .357 Magnum Colt Python

That gun is probably the sweetest shooting weapon I have ever shot. Ever.
The right to bear arms shall NOT be infringed.

Always cheat; always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”