NM: Hand gun with trigger pulled by Alec Baldwin in rehearsal kills one injures one

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 36

Re: NM: Hand gun with trigger pulled by Alec Baldwin in rehearsal kills one injures one

Post by philip964 »

https://apple.news/A8s_D_qjIRJWXEr5rsFmPeg

Judge dismissed case against Baldwin. Prosecutors apparently hid evidence. Can’t be refiled.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 8

Re: NM: Hand gun with trigger pulled by Alec Baldwin in rehearsal kills one injures one

Post by puma guy »

Too bad! Doesn't mean he's innocent of the crime.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Chemist45
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Chemist45 »

Sounds like the fix was in.

Mel
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Mel »

philip964 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 5:31 pm https://apple.news/A8s_D_qjIRJWXEr5rsFmPeg

Judge dismissed case against Baldwin. Prosecutors apparently hid evidence. Can’t be refiled.
Was there ever any doubt about how this would turn out?
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

rtschl
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rtschl »

I hate how it ended this way. But, withholding evidence from the defense was sloppy and in-excusable. One of the foundations of our liberty is a right to a fair trial. Justice was not served for the victim because of the misconduct of the prosecutor. As much as I dislike Baldwin, he deserved a fair trial. I only wish people in liberal/progressive jurisdictions would get the same consideration of a fair justice system.
Ron
NRA Member

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Grayling813 »

I’m reading that this prosecution misconduct may open the door to Hannah Gutierrez Reed’s conviction being overturned because the same evidence was withheld at her trial.

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 6

Post by G.A. Heath »

Grayling813 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 5:51 pm I’m reading that this prosecution misconduct may open the door to Hannah Gutierrez Reed’s conviction being overturned because the same evidence was withheld at her trial.
Andrew Branca also has an article about the potentially illegal dismissal w/ prejudice. But this might be a difficult appeal for Reed as her legal team knew about some, possibly all, of the evidence. The bullets handed over to the police were requested from the man who handed them over to the police during the trial by her defense team who then told the the man that they were not going to use the bullets or him as a witness. He then surrendered the bullets to the Santa Fe Sheriff's Office.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Chemist45
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Chemist45 »

rtschl wrote:
I hate how it ended this way. But, withholding evidence from the defense was sloppy and in-excusable. One of the foundations of our liberty is a right to a fair trial. Justice was not served for the victim because of the misconduct of the prosecutor. As much as I dislike Baldwin, he deserved a fair trial. I only wish people in liberal/progressive jurisdictions would get the same consideration of a fair justice system.
Or, this was the plan all along. The prosecutor had to charge Baldwin (Appearances and all that) but had no intention of ever convicting him so this is how he threw the case.
The rules are different for them. They are special.
You, OTOH, will go to jail for filling out a form wrong.

PriestTheRunner
Posts in topic: 1

Post by PriestTheRunner »

Chemist45 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 10:07 pm Or, this was the plan all along. The prosecutor had to charge Baldwin (Appearances and all that) but had no intention of ever convicting him so this is how he threw the case.
The rules are different for them. They are special.
You, OTOH, will go to jail for filling out a form wrong.
That's exactly it. A technical way of throwing the case away penalty free...

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

I didn't see this myself, but according to Adam Baldwin (No relation to Alec Baldwin) the Judge stated she was not only a fan of the defendants movies but a fan of his politics and even smiled at someone associated with Baldwin after the dismissal. This statement was on Andrew Branca's zoom session that is still ongoing as I post this.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?

puma guy
Posts in topic: 8

Post by puma guy »

I'm not a lawyer so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but what relevance would the ammo have since Baldwin wasn't charged with bringing live rounds or any type of cartridges to the set. He pointed a revolver at a person and pulled the trigger, mishandling the weapon and violating the first rule of gun safety.
I have a theory based on Baldwin's violent nature. He could have been upset with people or progress and pointed the gun out of frustration/anger/disapproval and to show it did what he did.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

puma guy wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 1:49 am I'm not a lawyer so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but what relevance would the ammo have since Baldwin wasn't charged with bringing live rounds or any type of cartridges to the set. He pointed a revolver at a person and pulled the trigger, mishandling the weapon and violating the first rule of gun safety.
I have a theory based on Baldwin's violent nature. He could have been upset with people or progress and pointed the gun out of frustration/anger/disapproval and to show it did what he did.
This is a key point Branca makes in his videos claiming the dismissal w/ prejudice was wrong. The only avenue that the evidence would apply is if it could be used for impeachment of a witness.

rtschl
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rtschl »

G.A. Heath wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 8:50 am
puma guy wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 1:49 am I'm not a lawyer so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but what relevance would the ammo have since Baldwin wasn't charged with bringing live rounds or any type of cartridges to the set. He pointed a revolver at a person and pulled the trigger, mishandling the weapon and violating the first rule of gun safety.
This is a key point Branca makes in his videos claiming the dismissal w/ prejudice was wrong. The only avenue that the evidence would apply is if it could be used for impeachment of a witness.
I saw Branca make this point after I posted. I think he said he's in the minority online legal opinions - but he makes sense.
Ron
NRA Member

Return to “Never Again!!”