BB gun or something for son

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
MBGuy
Posts in topic: 4

BB gun or something for son

Post by MBGuy »

I have an 8 year old boy that liked shooting his cheapy wal-mart bb gun, while it worked. I taught him and he developed good skills like how to hold while walking, trigger finger off the trigger until ready to shoot, etc. Not once in a year did he hit something he didn't mean to hit.

Now that Christmas is coming up, he wants a new one. Is there something better that someone can recommend I get him? I don't want to go the Disposable Daisy route again, so something that will last longer and maybe have a bit more power, and around the $100-$150 range.

Thanks,
Harry
NRA Endowment Life Member
Sig P239-40
"Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing."

Kalrog
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Kalrog »

At 8... why not a .22 rifle? Or check something like Academy for a Gamo type air rifle.

Wheelman
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Wheelman »

Get him a Marlin model 60 .22 rifle. Can be had in your price range at your local Academy.
Springfield XD-9 9mm
FEG PA-63 9x18mm
RRA Elite CAR AR-15 5.56mm
Remington 870 Express 12ga.
Marlin Mdl 60 .22
Winchester Mdl 70 Featherweight .30-06

Topic author
MBGuy

Post by MBGuy »

Thanks guys. I was thinking that but didn't know if he was too young. How far can a .22 bullet go?
Harry
Sig P239-40
"Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing."

Kalrog
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Kalrog »

MBGuy wrote:How far can a .22 bullet go?
About 2 miles. Definitely range only.

Topic author
MBGuy

Post by MBGuy »

Kalrog wrote:
MBGuy wrote:How far can a .22 bullet go?
About 2 miles. Definitely range only.
Nah, won't work. He wants to be able to shoot in the back yard. I have nothing but pasture around me, but there are two houses within a two mile radius, not to mention cattle.
Harry
Sig P239-40

lawrnk

Post by lawrnk »

The walmart selection is so dissapointing. I was really impressed with some I saw at the gun show in the 80 dollar plus range. Wood and metal, like it should be. Nice weight, reminded me of my dads 1940 red rider (before all the crap started coming from china)
Member- TSRA
Life Member- NRA

WarHawk-AVG

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

.22 is fine..as long as you shoot with him...ensure you have a GOOD backstop and keep him from firing in the air like a jihadist on vacation!

build a bench rest, and shoot downwards at an angle and you will be good to go..you along with him must show good shooter etiquette and no better way to teach than by example ;-)
A sheepdog says "I will lead the way. I will set the highest standards. ...Your mission is to man the ramparts in this dark and desperate hour with honor and courage." - Lt. Col. Grossman
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ - Edmond Burke

Topic author
MBGuy

Post by MBGuy »

Molon_labe wrote:.22 is fine..as long as you shoot with him...ensure you have a GOOD backstop and keep him from firing in the air like a jihadist on vacation!

build a bench rest, and shoot downwards at an angle and you will be good to go..you along with him must show good shooter etiquette and no better way to teach than by example ;-)
jihadist on vacation....... :smilelol5:

I'll give it a shot......ummmm........a try. Wife might not like the idea.

We have a railroad track one one side of our property. The ballast that the tracks sit on are pretty high so that can serve as a safety burm.

Thanks
Harry
Sig P239-40

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Just a quick note, but I recommend the Marlin 15Y. It is a single shot bolt action, so he learns to shoot instead of spraying and praying. And they are very well made. My 23 year old still has and uses the one he got for his tenth birthday.
Steve Rothstein

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

I think that Marlin is a great idea. But if you should decide a real .22 isn't doable this Christmas, try browsing around this site for some pellet gun ideas: http://www.airgundepot.com/.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

Wheelman wrote:Get him a Marlin model 60 .22 rifle. Can be had in your price range at your local Academy.
I'll second the model 60 when you feel he's ready for semiauto. Until then, look around for a used Winchester 75 bolt action or similar. Put a Redfield peep sight on it, and a good bolt action .22 can consistently headshot rabbits at 100+ yards.

PhilR.

Post by PhilR. »

If you are just going to plink, then an airgun will be cheaper to shoot, and the pellets won't go nearly as far as a .22 bullet. If however you really need the extra power (hunting), then a .22lr will be much cheaper than a hunting airgun.

The German airguns will hold up much longer than the Gamo's. You can sometimes find an RWS 34 in your price range. There are some Weihrauch's that can sometimes be found in your price range as well. Natchezss.com and midsouthshooterssupply.com will sometimes have German airguns on sale. Be aware though that some of these breakbarrels might be hard for your son to cock. A CZ or Slavia 634 or other 63x will be easier to cock, and can be found on gunbroker.com within your price range.

You might also consider a Benjamin multi-pump air rifle. These are the easiest air rifles for the novice to shoot, as they do not have the recoil that a spring-powered air rifle has. You can probably find one at your nearest Wal-mart or similar outlet.

PhilR.

Wildscar

Post by Wildscar »

I know if I was 8 I would want my dad to get me one of these. Everything you asked for then some.

http://www.airgunsbbguns.com/Walther_Ni ... rounhb.htm
Wildscar
"Far Better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt 1899
Beretta 92FS
Holster Review Resource
Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!

mr surveyor

Post by mr surveyor »

get him the little Rossi "convertable. It's a junior sized single shot break-down gun with a .22 cal barrel and a .410 barrel. My grandson was taught to shoot with one, and actually shot his first clays at the range with it. We did kinda go overkill and put a fairly large scope on the .22 barrel, but he could cut bullet holes at 25 yards. :cool:

oh, and you can buy low power .22 shorts that don't do much more than a pellet gun.
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”