Which do you prefer, DA, SA or striker fired

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 1

Which do you prefer, DA, SA or striker fired

Post by cmgee67 »

Which do you like to shoot and carry the most? Double action single action, double action only, single action only, or striker fired? I prefer a da/sa gun over striker fired. Have tried single action only, but have always liked the double action pull first.

Grayling813

Re: Which do you prefer, DA, SA or striker fired

Post by Grayling813 »

Everyday carry is a striker fired Sig P365X, however I really prefer my Sig P229 Legion DA/SA.

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

I think they each have their place...except SAO revolvers in 2022. Can't imagine anyone carrying one as EDC...except maybe Alec Baldwin.

I think you even have to throw into the mix that not all striker-fired pistols actuate the same way. There's a distinct difference between, for example, Glocks and XDs.

As for preference, if we're talking triggers only and foregoing factors like mag capacity, I'm kinda old school. Well, not kinda. Absolute old school. For a full-size or commander-sized pistol, I've never moved far away from the 1911. Same trigger pull and break every single time, and I'd posit that no better trigger (after all this time) exists on any non-Browning production pistol. I shoot 1911s far better than anything else...partly due to familiarity, partly due to grip angle, but overwhelmingly due to the trigger. (And, yes, even with non-1911s my thumb starts high and automatically moves down when I go to fire.)

Flat 1911s are also very concealable. That said, now that colder weather has arrived farther south in Texas, I'll often switch to an XDm for EDC primary. I shoot it almost as well and, since I carry OWB, a jacket on top of a shirt conceals it well. Also a lot to be said for double the capacity.

But tools need to be for-purpose designed. My little BUG is a DAO with a heavy trigger pull. :tiphat: The only thing more stupid than seeing a character in a movie stick a 92FS in the back of his pants without a holster is seeing him stick a 1911 there. The safety would flick off with about 5 minutes of bending and moving around.

Well, take that back. Even more stupid is Alec Baldwin.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Majority of Polymer EDC are striker fired. I am a trigger snob. If it has a good trigger I will own one, if not, I modify the trigger.
Besides that, 1911 trigger is still the benchmark for competition pistols.
What was the question Again?
DA/SA or striker fired? It is your choice. The heavy DA pull does not help in the accuracy department on the first shot, but it gives more assurance that when you pull that trigger, you mean it.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by K.Mooneyham »

I now carry a 12-shot Taurus G2c, OWB. The original trigger was not so good, so I replaced it with an aftermarket unit. I know, it's a Taurus, that means it will FTF or FTE every other shot, right? Except that it doesn't, it has digested everything I've put through it. Prior to that, for many years I had a Ruger SR9c, it was also very reliable, but the trigger pins were starting to work loose after quite a few rounds through it. My nightstand pistol is a full-size Glock 17 Gen 5. I seem to shoot striker-fired pistols pretty well, so I'm sticking with them.

All that said, if size and capacity weren't an issue, I'd probably just carry my Ruger Police Service Six in .38 Special. Not as flashy or fancy as a Colt or S&W, but the trigger is smooth, even in DA, and I think of all the handguns I own, I shoot it the best. But, I have to be honest with myself, and if it were to come to a reload, Jerry Miculek I am not.

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

I've been very happy with my PX4 Storm (.45). I like the de-cock feature, and I can holster with one in the chamber and take the safety off, comfortable with the DA ready to go. After that, the SA trigger is very sensitive, which I also like.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

I have all 3 (Langdon Beretta 92, Sig 226, Kimber and Springfield Armory 1911, and several Glock's) but prefer polymer striker fired guns for my EDC and home defense gun. Light, simple, plenty of capacity, and (almost) utterly reliable. I've got several thousand rounds through my Gen 3 Glock 17 with the only issue being recoil guide rods. Broke a couple of the plastic ones and lost the screw on a metal one. I will say that for the most part, a Glock trigger sucks compare to the other two types.
Last edited by Jose_in_Dallas on Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

My personal preference is the single action only pistol, specifically the 1911 (thought I admit to really liking its cousin the P35 Hi-Power also).

The really weird thing though is that my EDC is striker fired, the Springfield XDM-10. I originally bought it to try the 10mm round and found I like the performance of the round. Now, I am looking at making it my duty gun, if I can find a good duty holster that fits it. If I cannot find one, then the 1911 will be the duty gun. The biggest drawback to the 1911 for duty is how many people will come up to me and ask if I know that the pistol is cocked.
Steve Rothstein

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Striker fired. Particularly, S&W M&P9 M2.0 5".
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Depends on the application or situation I’m in. Now I will say right in front I am an all metal hammer fired kind of guy. But suffice it to say when I’m carrying my EDC then give me a lightweight striker fired pistol every time. However if you want me to stick that pistol in my pocket then I’ll take a double action only striker fired instead. For my nightstand gun I’m all about a hammer fired DA/SA.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

oljames3 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:59 am Striker fired. Particularly, S&W M&P9 M2.0 5".
This platform is my choice too.

I mostly carry the compact version with an RMR red dot and the compact magazine. I carry the same gun for duty but with the full size magazine and grip adapter. The trigger that came with it was much better than the 1.0 version, but I improved it further with an Apex unit that breaks at 4 lbs. and feels very close to a 1911.

My pocket gun is a Sig p365, also striker fired.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

For several years, my primary carry was either a 3", 4", or 5" 1911. There’s no doubt that that 1911 pistols generally have better triggers than striker-fired pistols. What’s equally true is that the single action let-off on both of my N-framed S&W revolvers in .357 and .44 Magnum is far better than the trigger on any 1911 I’ve ever fired. The point is that triggers are always relative.

For reasons having to do primarily with the fact that my not-a-gun-person wife carries a Glock, I also carry a Glock. It was (and remains) important to me that she be able to pick up and shoot whatever I’m carrying, in case something happens to me. I have also previously carried an M&P, a couple of XDMs, a couple of Kahn’s, and a USP Compact…not to mention revolvers. I continue to carry Glocks because of my wife.

It’s a training issue. I can shoot any platform, and easily switch between them. She can’t. So I carry what she can shoot. So I’ve stopped being a trigger snob.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

K.Mooneyham wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:21 pm All that said, if size and capacity weren't an issue, I'd probably just carry my Ruger Police Service Six in .38 Special. Not as flashy or fancy as a Colt or S&W, but the trigger is smooth, even in DA, and I think of all the handguns I own, I shoot it the best. But, I have to be honest with myself, and if it were to come to a reload, Jerry Miculek I am not.
OK I'm kinda jealous of the Service Six. What size barrel does it have?

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Jose_in_Dallas wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:15 pm
K.Mooneyham wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:21 pm All that said, if size and capacity weren't an issue, I'd probably just carry my Ruger Police Service Six in .38 Special. Not as flashy or fancy as a Colt or S&W, but the trigger is smooth, even in DA, and I think of all the handguns I own, I shoot it the best. But, I have to be honest with myself, and if it were to come to a reload, Jerry Miculek I am not.
OK I'm kinda jealous of the Service Six. What size barrel does it have?
It's the standard 4 inch barrel, blued finish. It's one of a batch made for security guards, so it's in .38 Special instead of .357 Magnum. Which means I can feed as many +P rounds through it as I want, and never wear it out. Has some holster wear, but it sure shoots nice.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

These days it tends to be striker fired... before that it was SA.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”