The gun show a few weeks ago. 30.06?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
lawrnk
Posts in topic: 3

The gun show a few weeks ago. 30.06?

Post by lawrnk »

I went to the gun show a few weeks ago and found it pretty ironic to see a massive 30.06 sign walking into a gunshow. Is this a reliant arena thing?

I am also ashamed to admit I went to the reliant last weekend for a very estrogen filled nutcracker market. I had to carry the kid for my wife.I saw only a gunbuster on the door...so I am confused. Either way it seems silly to ban CHL's at a gun show.

Xander
Posts in topic: 2

Re: The gun show a few weeks ago. 30.06?

Post by Xander »

lawrnk wrote: I am also ashamed to admit I went to the reliant last weekend for a very estrogen filled nutcracker market. I had to carry the kid for my wife.I saw only a gunbuster on the door...so I am confused. Either way it seems silly to ban CHL's at a gun show.
Not when you consider how many of them manage to shoot themselves even *with* the 30.06 signs. Seems to be one or two NDs every year at gunshows in Texas.

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 1

Post by txinvestigator »

The propensity for people to pull out their carry pieces to try holsters and "show" others their handguns is just too high.

I think it is smart to want ALL firearms entering checked for clear and zip tied.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Rex B

Will Rogers last weekend

Post by Rex B »

The last few Ft Worth shows have not been posted, but the one this last weekend - High Caliber - was properly posted.
Grrr walk back to car.

I filled out one of their drawing coupons at the door just to be able to write "Drop the 30.06 posting" on the front. I suggest we all do that, if you object to it.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

I wouldn't object to them taking down the 30.06 signs if people could keep their "carry" piece in it's holster where it oughtta be.

I, again, say there oughtta be an area (stall, Port-a-John, whatever) for unloading/reloading...

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

Xander wrote:Not when you consider how many of them manage to shoot themselves even *with* the 30.06 signs. Seems to be one or two NDs every year at gunshows in Texas.
I hope by "them", you're including vendors, not just patrons.

Xander

Post by Xander »

KBCraig wrote:
Xander wrote:Not when you consider how many of them manage to shoot themselves even *with* the 30.06 signs. Seems to be one or two NDs every year at gunshows in Texas.
I hope by "them", you're including vendors, not just patrons.
Yup. A vendor at an Austin show had an ND just a couple of months ago.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

It does seem a bit ironic on its face; something like a "no dogs" sign at the entrance of a dog show.

However, the reality is that guns shows are going to be a thing of the past, not because of the anti's legislative efforts, but because insurance companies aren't going to continue to insure them if we keep seeing unintentional discharges. As soon as a promoter can't get insurance, government-owned facilities will no longer be available. As txinvestigator said, the temptation to show their gun to someone, or to try on a holster or fanny pack, is just too great for some people.

Something else to consider is a topic discussed in another thread a while back. People at gun shows are not exempt from TPC §46.02. So unless you have a CHL, it's illegal to carry a handgun at a gun show. This is not enforced, but it is the law. Further, as a CHL, you can legally carry a handgun at a gun show (presuming you are not violating a valid and enforceable 30.06 sign), but if you intentionally fail to conceal it, you could be prosecuted. If promoters were to take the position the CHL's can carry loaded only if they comply with TPC §46.035(a) (concealed), then the only way they could enforce this requirement would be by hiring police officers to make arrests of CHLs "intentionally" failing to conceal their guns. It's a no-win situation for gun show promoters.

I don't like 30.06 signs - period. However, with the number of discharges we've seen at gun shows in the last two years, I think they may be necessary. (I also think they are unenforceable on government-owned property, but that's a subject for another thread.)

Chas.

Topic author
lawrnk
Posts in topic: 3

Post by lawrnk »

The discharge issue didn't cross my mind when I posted this. I suppose that makes sense. I believe they also banned vendors from selling both ammo and guns. I saw one or two ammo vendors, and neither sold firearms. I also never saw ammo for sale at any of the hundreds of firearm vendors.

Charles L. Cotton wrote:It does seem a bit ironic on its face; something like a "no dogs" sign at the entrance of a dog show.

However, the reality is that guns shows are going to be a thing of the past, not because of the anti's legislative efforts, but because insurance companies aren't going to continue to insure them if we keep seeing unintentional discharges. As soon as a promoter can't get insurance, government-owned facilities will no longer be available. As txinvestigator said, the temptation to show their gun to someone, or to try on a holster or fanny pack, is just too great for some people.

Something else to consider is a topic discussed in another thread a while back. People at gun shows are not exempt from TPC §46.02. So unless you have a CHL, it's illegal to carry a handgun at a gun show. This is not enforced, but it is the law. Further, as a CHL, you can legally carry a handgun at a gun show (presuming you are not violating a valid and enforceable 30.06 sign), but if you intentionally fail to conceal it, you could be prosecuted. If promoters were to take the position the CHL's can carry loaded only if they comply with TPC §46.035(a) (concealed), then the only way they could enforce this requirement would be by hiring police officers to make arrests of CHLs "intentionally" failing to conceal their guns. It's a no-win situation for gun show promoters.

I don't like 30.06 signs - period. However, with the number of discharges we've seen at gun shows in the last two years, I think they may be necessary. (I also think they are unenforceable on government-owned property, but that's a subject for another thread.)

Chas.

Photoman
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Photoman »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:As txinvestigator said, the temptation to show their gun to someone, or to try on a holster or fanny pack, is just too great for some people.
Perhaps these people shouldn't have a CHL in the first place! I refuse to take the position that all CHL'ers are too dumb to be able to safely carry at a gun show.

I say let those who legally can, carry. If they break the law, prosecute them to the fullest extent possible.

smyrna

Post by smyrna »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Further, as a CHL, you can legally carry a handgun at a gun show (presuming you are not violating a valid and enforceable 30.06 sign),...
So what about the boys in blue at the door who routinely ask, "Do you have any firearms on you?" with a handful of zip ties? I find it a little disconcerting saying "no" to the police, but I don't want to whip out my fully topped off carry piece either.

In absence of 30.06, I have said "no" and kept on moving.

Anyone else want to weigh in?

Mike1951
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Mike1951 »

I usually make eye contact with the officers, then go about my business of buying the ticket or talking to my friends.

I am almost never asked if I have a firearm.

I have stated my opinion on this subject before but will repeat that if something arises regarding a purchase that requires my handgun to be displayed, I will return to my vehicle, unload it, and return to have it tied at the door before re-entering.

The shows I attend are at government owned facilities and I do not recognize the validity of 30.06 postings in these situations. The promoters do it simply because their insurance requires it.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Photoman wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:As txinvestigator said, the temptation to show their gun to someone, or to try on a holster or fanny pack, is just too great for some people.
Perhaps these people shouldn't have a CHL in the first place! I refuse to take the position that all CHL'ers are too dumb to be able to safely carry at a gun show.

I say let those who legally can, carry. If they break the law, prosecute them to the fullest extent possible.
I suspect that the majority of unintentional discharges were not caused by CHLs, but I have no evidence. I'm certainly not taking the position that "all CHL'ers are too dumb to be able to safely carry at a gun show." Your prosecution solution doesn't address the insurance issue.

Chas.

Renegade

Post by Renegade »

30.06 is not really enforceable at a gun show.

I have been in Texas long before 30.06 and CHL for that matter, and people have been carrying handguns on or about their person to/from gun shows with no problem. This was, and still is 100% legal.

As mentioned numerous times, 30.06 only applies if you are carrying under CHL authority. When you carry to/from a gun show ( or other place that sells/repairs firearms) you are not. The Texas Supreme Court ruled long ago you are not in violation of UCW. The original case I am aware of was a guy taking his gun to a Blacksmith for repair.

If it really was illegal, you can be sure some big city politicos who despise gun shows would be out arresting everyone, in order to shut down gun shows. Talk about derilction of duty if the LEOs who typically check guns at gun shows give the gun back to you when it is in fact illegal. It is not illegal, and the confusion is caused by the fact it is not written in the law, and the Case Law is over 100 years old and not often cited.

Likewise, you can also travel to/from a Tom Thumb or other grocery store where you can buy/repair >5.5 inch knives also under the same doctrine.

On the subject of ADs, most of the ones I was present for (at least 6+ I instantly recall), pistols owned by vendors showing them off. At least two were CHLs, but of course none were CHLs prior to 1995.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Renegade wrote:30.06 is not really enforceable at a gun show.

I have been in Texas long before 30.06 and CHL for that matter, and people have been carrying handguns on or about their person to/from gun shows with no problem. This was, and still is 100% legal.
I've been in Texas all my life and you are correct about people carrying handguns at guns shows for years. However, the only "exceptions" to TPC 46.02 (UCW) are those listed in TPC §46.15 and you won't find "gun shows" listed. I don't think anyone would be successful in arguing that a gun show was a sporting event, and they clearly don't fit in any other category.

So, it is illegal for a non-CHL to carry a handgun in a gun show. People are not charged with UCW, but a lack of enforcement does not change the law.

TPC §30.06 is enforceable at a gun show, if it's on private property as opposed to government-owned property.

Chas.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”