Placement of Reloader

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
KaleS
Posts in topic: 1

Placement of Reloader

Post by KaleS »

So everything i have read states not to have the relaoder ing the garage... Do any of you have a set up in the garage? My wife really does not want me settig up shop in the house. Why not the garage?

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

I've got my setup in the garage and no problems with moisture have appeared. I do keep my powder and primers in a large sealed container along with a bag of desiccant just in case though.
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

DMG

Post by DMG »

I also reload in my garage (here in humid Houston), and keep my powder and primers locked up there alongside the bench, without the desiccant. I chrono fairly regularly and have found no decrease in performance in my reloads.

David G.

Marty

Post by Marty »

You can reload most anywhere you want to, as long as your scale isn't disturbed by wind.
For long term storage, Powder & Primers should be kept @ controlled room temprature.
Marty
Where's the coffee?

AggieMM

Post by AggieMM »

I too reload in the garage, but I keep my primmers, powder, and tool head inside the house. I purchased a tool head stand for my 550B, and I just remove the tool head and put it inside when not in use.

Here's a pic:

JLaw

Post by JLaw »

DMG wrote:I also reload in my garage (here in humid Houston), and keep my powder and primers locked up there alongside the bench, without the desiccant. I chrono fairly regularly and have found no decrease in performance in my reloads.

David G.
+1 here, reload in garage and all components kept in garage. Only I have no chronograph to check them. I have yet to have a single failure to fire from my reloads, knock on wood.

I have, however, had trouble beating DMG's scores when shooting IDPA with him!! :twisted:

JLaw

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

I have found my utility room to be an excellent reloading spot.
Not sure if yours can accommodate a bench, but it's a thought.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

My gun room is off my garage. Like others, No problems yet.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

44and45

Post by 44and45 »

My reloading room is in the next room adjoining my bedroom. Wife gets a little testy if I don't keep it cleaned up and neat...don't hold your breath on that happening. ;-)

Jim

40FIVER

Post by 40FIVER »

Venus Pax wrote:I have found my utility room to be an excellent reloading spot.
Not sure if yours can accommodate a bench, but it's a thought.
If your utility room is also the laundry room, it can get pretty humid when the washer and dryer are going for several loads. At least it does in my house. I'm glad to hear you don't have any humidity issues.

My reloading setup is in my office/computer/man room inside where it is cool in the summer and warm in the winter. I know many people don't have the space, so I'm very thankful I do have the space, but more importantly, I'm thankful I have a wife who lets me reload in there. :grin:
40FIVER

BobCat

Post by BobCat »

Living room. Wife watches TV, I turn off hearing aid, ignore TV, reload, that way we get to spend quality time together and my primers are not exposed to humidity.

All the folks here who claim that humidity is not a problem are right though... had a box of CCI primers sit in a box the barn for a couple years (forgot they were there) and they suffered zero ill effects. Still, the book says to store them in civilized conditions...
Retractable claws; the *original* concealed carry

Cap'n

Post by Cap'n »

In years past, I was able to convert an over-sized hallway closet into a small reloading room. Worked great, could lock it from our (then) small children, and it was air conditioned / heated (assisted by a small table fan).

The past eight years we lived aboard and cruised our boat. In 2006 we got back into pistol shooting / reloading. I was able to use a 2 ft x 2 ft area in the guest cabin for reloading. Granted I had to use a hand press vs bench press because of concerns about furniture, but I turned out 2,500 rounds of quality .45 ACP rounds in that small space in just five months (before selling the boat).

Moral of the story is I prefer / recommend use of a small area that's air conditioned / heated for your comfort as well as that of the reloading equipment and supplies. It's ideal if you can lock things up to keep children / grand kids safe (an open garage door might not offer that security). Even a small hallway closet in which you use the lower half for a work / storage area and sit on a chair placed in the hallway is a very workable arrangement.

NOTE: Really excellent hearing that garage humidty is not the problem I'd always imagined it to be. Nevertheless, I wouldn't be able to tolerate the summer conditions, although the winter time might be do-able. Those are just my limitations.

nuparadigm

Post by nuparadigm »

My "room" is an unused walk-in closet. Many years ago it was in the garage. It works fine in both places.
The last train out of any station will not be filled with nice people.

Remember Newton and Azrak.

Target1911

Post by Target1911 »

My reloading setup is in my office/computer/man room inside where it is cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

I have the same set up. It is the spare bedroom. My GF only complains because I put a stop to her storing all of her junk in that room (and I spend much more time in there than on couch with her). She is a Pack rat and doesnt want to get rid of ANYTHING.
DAD, You are missed
6-5-54 ~ 4-16-10
rwhedgeart.com
III% United Patriots of Texas

dukalmighty

Re: Placement of Reloader

Post by dukalmighty »

I have 4 bdrooms and no kids or house guestsI set my reloader up in the smallest bedroom,but my bullet caster is in the garage ,I don't want nothing heated to 750 degrees in my house,It set off the smoke detectors,and my wife :nono:
It is said that if you line up all the cars in the world end-to-end, someone would be stupid enough to try to pass them

Return to “Reloading Forum”