Lucky45
Posts in topic: 2

White Rock-area slain clerk also had gun, police say

Post by Lucky45 »

Victim's weapon failed

09:13 PM CDT on Friday, November 2, 2007
By TANYA EISERER / The Dallas Morning News
teiserer@dallasnews.com

A White Rock-area convenience store clerk who was slain during an apparent robbery last Saturday night was also armed with a gun, police said Friday.

Police now believe that the slain clerk, Abate Z. Hailu, 43, saw that the two men were armed as they came into the Fina Food Mart on Garland Road shortly before 11 p.m. Saturday.

The clerk pointed the gun at them, said Lt. Craig Miller, a homicide supervisor.

"There was a malfunction with the weapon, and obviously Mr. Hailu was not able to use the weapon" because the safety was still on, Lt. Miller said.

The two robbery suspects then fired their weapons at Mr. Hailu, who died at the scene, police said. Store surveillance cameras recorded the crime and images of the two men. The two suspects also went behind the counter and took a small amount of cash and some property, police said.

One suspect, Howard Lee Simon, 22, was arrested Monday in connection with Mr. Hailu's death. Police are looking for a second suspect, Deshawn Larkin, 26.

Anyone with information about Mr. Larkin's whereabouts may call police at 214-671-3661.
All that can be said is practice, practice, practice. Also, carry in whatever condition you are comfortable with. I always make sure my firearms is "FIRE HOT" and ready to go bang.
If you don't stand for something, then you will fall for anything.

Longtooths
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Longtooths »

Exactly why every one of my weapons are loaded and ready to fire with no safety on, ever! In the safe on the nightstand, in the refridge, in the glove box, on the back of the toilet, stuffed in the couch, by the computer, kitchen counter, in the microwave, behind the painting, in the shower, in my boot, wherever, they are ready and waiting to defend my life and the life of my loved ones. I never have to question if a weapon is loaded or not, they all are. Wife is versed on this theory as well.

Everyone knows that criminals are cowards and will use every perceived advantage to assure they're safety. I simply do the same thing.

Hypothetical time: When you are looking down the barrel of a gun with a BG attached to it, do you want to have to figure into your response the time it will take you to rack a slide, take the safety off etc?

/rant off
I'm from Texas, what country are you from?

NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt »

I carry my Hi-Power cocked and locked. All of my practice drills involve disengaging the safety as I draw, and this has been ingrained in my muscle memory. My gun is ready to fire as soon as I draw it. The key here is actively practicing in the condition that you carry.

My guess would be that the clerk in this situation had rarely (if ever) practiced the use of his firearm, and so was not familiar enough with the operation of his weapon to properly deploy it and thumb the safety off in an emergency situation. Unfortunately, this cost him his life. It is a grim reminder that a BG is not going to wait for you to ready your weapon to defend yourself. Be intimately familiar with quickly deploying your weapon, because your life may depend upon it.

frankie_the_yankee
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by frankie_the_yankee »

This is why I like revolvers and Para LDA's. Point gun pull trigger. Repeat as needed.

With my 1911, I practice swiping the safety off during the draw stroke.

But the other guns are still faster on getting the first shot off.
Ahm jus' a Southern boy trapped in a Yankee's body

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

frankie_the_yankee wrote:This is why I like revolvers and Para LDA's. Point gun pull trigger. Repeat as needed.

Really? Wanna go to the range with a timer and some cash? :twisted: :grin:

I see people practice with guns that have a safety, like Beretta, S&W, HK, etc., who never engage the safety while practicing, but carry the gun on-safe. These are the people who, under stress, can't figure out why the gun won't go bang.

People who train properly and ALWAYS have to disengage the safety from the holster, ready position or whatever don't have to worry about forgetting.

I carry a 1911 safety on and I have trained enough and shot under enough stress to know that I won't "forget" the safety any more than I will forget to pull the trigger.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

frankie_the_yankee
Banned

txinvestigator wrote:
frankie_the_yankee wrote:This is why I like revolvers and Para LDA's. Point gun pull trigger. Repeat as needed.

Really? Wanna go to the range with a timer and some cash? :twisted: :grin:

I see people practice with guns that have a safety, like Beretta, S&W, HK, etc., who never engage the safety while practicing, but carry the gun on-safe. These are the people who, under stress, can't figure out why the gun won't go bang.

People who train properly and ALWAYS have to disengage the safety from the holster, ready position or whatever don't have to worry about forgetting.

I carry a 1911 safety on and I have trained enough and shot under enough stress to know that I won't "forget" the safety any more than I will forget to pull the trigger.
I'm not saying that I am faster with a revolver than you are with a 1911.

I'm saying that I am faster with a revolver than I am with a 1911.

I carry the 1911 cocked and locked, and practice drawing and firing the same way. (I have my own range.) It takes me longer to get it off safe and get a shot off. I can't really do it well with my strong hand. I have to use the weak hand to drop the safety.

However, what I also know is that I can shoot the 1911 much more accurately than I can shoot the revolver.

But in most non-LEO self defense encounters (according to what I read including Lovette's article in the current issue of 'Combat Handguns' magazine) the distance tends to be short and speed is more important than precision.

BTW, I do not claim to be an expert at this. All I am doing is relating my own experiences & preferences after carrying concealed for 15 years (and never having to draw on anybody).

FWIW, it takes me almost 2 sec. to get a shot off with a gun concealed in a IWB and an untucked shirt. I'm a little faster with a vest or open jacket as a cover garment. The revolver is a little faster than the 1911.

I'm sure that many people are a lot faster than I am. 2 sec. seems awfully slow. But that's how long it takes this old bird.

I just do what I can.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

frankie_the_yankee wrote:FWIW, it takes me almost 2 sec. to get a shot off with a gun concealed in a IWB and an untucked shirt.
Ya know, there ain't a lot of room for improvement at 2 seconds. Human reaction time is 0.5 to 1 second depending upon natural talent and condition.

I realize that many people are better, but that "many" is about 1% of the population.

- Jim

Topic author
Lucky45

Post by Lucky45 »

seamusTX wrote:Ya know, there ain't a lot of room for improvement at 2 seconds. Human reaction time is 0.5 to 1 second depending upon natural talent and condition.
- Jim
Then you add on "time" it takes you to draw your firearm and gain a sight picture.
Reaction + Draw = Time to fire a shot
If you don't stand for something, then you will fall for anything.

Photoman

Post by Photoman »

Well...which was it? The gun malfunctioned or the safety was on?

If the gun doesn't fire because the safety was on, it didn't malfunction. Ugh!

Glock 23

Post by Glock 23 »

with no kids around my place, I say dont bother with guns that use a safety. Revolvers appeal to me for this one reason.

as for the story above, I saw a similar incident on a t.v. show and the clerk lived. The bad guy went behind the counter to finish off the clerk but the BG's gun jammed. Im surprised he didnt pick up the clerks gun, and kill him with his own gun. That would be sadly ironic.

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Just a point of clarification: The Para LDA has every feature a normal 1911 does (including a thumb safety) and it is not intended to be carried without all these safety features on.

Spartans ask not how many, but where!

frankie_the_yankee
Banned

Flint,

IMO, given that the hammer is always down, I regard an LDA as fully safe to carry with the safety off. In my view, the main benefit of the manual safety on an LDA is that it would make the gun slightly more confusing to sort out in the event that someone snatched it. This would give the snatch victim a few precious seconds to run away, draw a BUG, etc.

Para may state otherwise in their owners manuals, but that is just lawyer-speak (again, IMO).

Supercat

I Love It

Post by Supercat »

Longtooths wrote:Exactly why every one of my weapons are loaded and ready to fire with no safety on, ever! In the safe on the nightstand, in the refridge, in the glove box, on the back of the toilet, stuffed in the couch, by the computer, kitchen counter, in the microwave, behind the painting, in the shower, in my boot, wherever, they are ready and waiting to defend my life and the life of my loved ones.

/rant off
Now that is what I call "GUN SAFETY" ;-) :fire
Big round, Little round, Having one is what counts!!!

austin

Post by austin »

I am .10 to .20 sec slower with a 1911 due to the thumb safety.

I have seen people during FOF drills bobble the safety during the drills.

For these two reasons, I am back to my XD or Glock as my primary carry.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”