Ruth Bader Ginsberg - dies 9.18.2020

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

DEB
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Ruth Bader Ginsberg - dies 9.18.2020

Post by DEB »

I do not mourn Ginsburg's passing any more than I mourned Mao's passing. I do not celebrate it, but I will not mourn it. My hypocrisy only goes so far. I am a Christian and will not be joyful, but I will not mourn someone who supported abortion and deviancy as well as intentionally snubbing a sitting President. Ginsburg was one of those whose whole efforts were to destroy the constitution, so she can go on across the rainbow bridge with no more than a good bye wave from me.
President Trump needs to appoint a replacement as soon as possible and the Senate needs to confirm as soon as possible, the election shouldn't be a reason not to do their jobs. I believe that folks have already made up their minds who they intend to vote for, we are way to divided for anyone who has not made up their mind who they intend to vote for to make any difference. Make no mistake this is a war. If it gets worse, their won't be any room for neutrals. The Republicans need to drop the nice guy persona and get to work, they won't be able to sway folks by taking the high road. If they do, the one's who were swayed won't make a tinker's bell of a difference, they will simply lose. I don't want to lose, I want to win and in wars one doesn't win by taking the high road.
Maybe my 20 plus years in the Military has jaded me, I don't know. My current concerns are keeping me and my family alive and healthy and out of any possible re-education camps. My friend and I were talking, both of us are from the former Confederate States, and we were commenting on how Robert E. Lee took the high road and Grant took the path of total war. Guess who won? I know that is oversimplifying it, but for a bottom line toward victory, kinda meets what my thoughts are attempting to convey.
Many of us on this board served in the former Yugoslavia and remember what it was like prior to the 1990's as well as what it was like after it imploded. This Nation is so split and has lost the rule of law in the large cities that it could very well occur here. Perhaps not Texas, but some of those other more progressive states, appear to be on the road to filled ditches.
I firmly believe that God placed Trump in his current job as (no matter what folks say about if he is a Christian or not) he is a winner. He has done more under fire, than any and I mean any Republican President during my life time. Kinda long and disjointed I know, but it is Sunday and I got to go to work tomorrow.
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt"
DEB=Daniel E Bertram
U.S. Army Retired, (Sapper). VFW Life Member.

bbhack

Post by bbhack »

There will be no hearings. The nominee is already vetted. The vote could be as early as next week. Just my prediction.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Flightmare »

The New York Times reported in 2016, RBG was asked if the Senate had an obligation to assess President Obama’s nominee, Merrill Garland, after the death of Justice Scalia 9 months before the Presidential election.
“That’s their job,” she said. “There’s nothing in the Constitution that says the president stops being president in his last year.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/11/us/p ... -term.html
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Topic author
C-dub
Posts in topic: 9

Post by C-dub »

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ginsburg-n ... omination/
“The president is elected for four years, not three years, so the power he has in year three continues into year four,” she said. “And maybe our members of the Senate will wake up and appreciate that that’s how it should be.”
So, it seems like their own opinion varies depending upon the circumstances.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

DEB wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:44 pm I do not mourn Ginsburg's passing any more than I mourned Mao's passing. I do not celebrate it, but I will not mourn it. My hypocrisy only goes so far. I am a Christian and will not be joyful, but I will not mourn someone who supported abortion and deviancy as well as intentionally snubbing a sitting President. Ginsburg was one of those whose whole efforts were to destroy the constitution, so she can go on across the rainbow bridge with no more than a good bye wave from me.
President Trump needs to appoint a replacement as soon as possible and the Senate needs to confirm as soon as possible, the election shouldn't be a reason not to do their jobs. I believe that folks have already made up their minds who they intend to vote for, we are way to divided for anyone who has not made up their mind who they intend to vote for to make any difference. Make no mistake this is a war. If it gets worse, their won't be any room for neutrals. The Republicans need to drop the nice guy persona and get to work, they won't be able to sway folks by taking the high road. If they do, the one's who were swayed won't make a tinker's bell of a difference, they will simply lose. I don't want to lose, I want to win and in wars one doesn't win by taking the high road.
Maybe my 20 plus years in the Military has jaded me, I don't know. My current concerns are keeping me and my family alive and healthy and out of any possible re-education camps. My friend and I were talking, both of us are from the former Confederate States, and we were commenting on how Robert E. Lee took the high road and Grant took the path of total war. Guess who won? I know that is oversimplifying it, but for a bottom line toward victory, kinda meets what my thoughts are attempting to convey.
Many of us on this board served in the former Yugoslavia and remember what it was like prior to the 1990's as well as what it was like after it imploded. This Nation is so split and has lost the rule of law in the large cities that it could very well occur here. Perhaps not Texas, but some of those other more progressive states, appear to be on the road to filled ditches.
I firmly believe that God placed Trump in his current job as (no matter what folks say about if he is a Christian or not) he is a winner. He has done more under fire, than any and I mean any Republican President during my life time. Kinda long and disjointed I know, but it is Sunday and I got to go to work tomorrow.
well, you read my mind. he should move forward and nominate a person, he is still president until at least january of 2021, that's oodles of time. senate does not need to hold long drawn out hearings, just vote and approve or not. i am sure there are pre vetted contenders already geared up to go. trump is a lot of things, but he is never not ready for a scotus nominee. Hopefully he gets a win in nov, but we cant take that chance. Biden would nominate a fence pole, or what ever soros and china tell him
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by carlson1 »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nation ... tions/amp/
Far and away the grossest and most craven though, is that it would violate Ginsburg’s “dying wish.” In a statement dictated to her granddaughter, Ginsburg announced that “My most fervent wish is that I will not be replaced until a new president is installed.”
The way I see her dying wish is if it was so important she should have retired while Obama was in office. She made a bad decision (on her part) to keep going so her “wishes” are not really important at this point.

Chemist45

Post by Chemist45 »

Carlson1 wrote
The way I see her dying wish is if it was so important she should have retired while Obama was in office. She made a bad decision (on her part) to keep going so her “wishes” are not really important at this point.
She did make that decision. Some say that she wanted to swear in the first female president.
Her own granddaughter says that Ruth wanted a woman to name her replacement.
https://www.dailywire.com/news/ruth-bad ... =dwtwitter

Hubris kept her from retiring when Obama could have named a nice leftist woman to replace her.
And who could blame her? After all, everyone knew that rube Trump didn't stand a chance. Right?
I like to think that she spent every day since Trump was elected knowing that he was going to name her replacement.
It makes me smile.

ELB
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ELB »

With Trump publishing his list of potential nominees well in advance and the advanced state of communications and ability to research in the US, there's really no reason to have long drawn out hearings. The two most likely nominees, Barret and Lagoa, have each already been confirmed once by Senate, and not that long ago. Full steam ahead.
USAF 1982-2005

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

ELB wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:48 pm With Trump publishing his list of potential nominees well in advance and the advanced state of communications and ability to research in the US, there's really no reason to have long drawn out hearings. The two most likely nominees, Barret and Lagoa, have each already been confirmed once by Senate, and not that long ago. Full steam ahead.
This is how I see it too. Now we all know the democrats will try to play games and act as if none of that matters.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

ELB

Post by ELB »

TRUMP CUTS GORDIAN KNOT!

In Lieu Of New Justice, Trump Announces He Will Simply Grant Clarence Thomas Two Votes
...And he now has two chairs, which means that during hearings he can use the second seat to put his feet up. “It’s pretty sweet,” Thomas told reporters.
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
C-dub
Posts in topic: 9

Post by C-dub »

ELB wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:35 am TRUMP CUTS GORDIAN KNOT!

In Lieu Of New Justice, Trump Announces He Will Simply Grant Clarence Thomas Two Votes
...And he now has two chairs, which means that during hearings he can use the second seat to put his feet up. “It’s pretty sweet,” Thomas told reporters.
That is too funny. If he had actually said that I'd say he was taking a cue from Rush and just having a little fun trolling the left.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Chemist45 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:39 pmHubris kept her from retiring when Obama could have named a nice leftist woman to replace her.
And who could blame her? After all, everyone knew that rube Trump didn't stand a chance. Right?
I like to think that she spent every day since Trump was elected knowing that he was going to name her replacement.
It makes me smile.
Schadenfreude
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Return to “Off-Topic”