(Another) Castle Doctrine Question

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

TC-TX
Posts in topic: 4

Post by TC-TX »

ELB wrote: I suspect there is more to the Carter Albrecht story than has been adequately covered in the press, but I hesitate to judge that one. As a general rule, I would not recommend shooting at loud noises at the door.

elb
Actually - unfortunately - there is not...
Semper Fi ~

Eagle Scout 1975
U.S.M.C. 1978-84
Commercial Pilot
Texas CHL Instructor
Certified Flight Instructor
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Life Member
TSRA Member
http://www.TexasArmament.com

boomerang
Posts in topic: 1

Post by boomerang »

ELB wrote:As a general rule, I would not recommend shooting at loud noises at the door.
+1

As another general rule, I would not recommend drinking enough to have a BAC well over .2 and then taking certain prescription drugs. If you must do so, then I don't recommend hitting a woman and chasing her. If you do, and she locks you out of her house, I don't recommend yelling and pounding on a neighbor's door in the middle of the night. If you really have to do all of those things, then I strongly recommend you leave ASAP when the neighbor tells you to go away.

TacShot
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TacShot »

Believing the Albrecht shooting was a justifiable use of deadly force, places the rest of your life and fortune in serious jeopardy.

Renegade

Post by Renegade »

TacShot wrote:Believing the Albrecht shooting was a justifiable use of deadly force, places the rest of your life and fortune in serious jeopardy.
It was justified, If you have evidence to the contrary, please post. But last I heard the Police, DA and GJ decided it was justified and no charges were filed.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

I don't how much thread drift is tolerated before the moderators step in.

No one ever said you should shoot the Avon lady or trick-or-treaters. My reference to banging (forceful pounding) on the door was meant as something that would cause you to go into condition orange just short of red.

Can I rephrase my original response? When you are at home, you know who belongs there and who doesn't. You also control the premises. Neither of those conditions is true when you are in someone else's house. Maybe their eccentric uncle likes to enter the house through windows, and they tolerate it.

- Jim

Snake Doctor

Post by Snake Doctor »

The amount of dissonance from original topics on some of these threads is just getting ridiculous. Who said anything about opeing fire on a door just because someone is banging? The point I think Jim (and others after) were trying to make was not that a heavy knock or pound on the door constitutes a hail of gunfire, but rather, just to be aware of what's going on. If someone comes banging at night and you just casually open the door without knowing who's on the other side... yikes... message board arguments are the least of your worries.
Nemo me impune lacessit.

TacShot

Post by TacShot »

Renegade wrote:
It was justified, If you have evidence to the contrary, please post. But last I heard the Police, DA and GJ decided it was justified and no charges were filed.
It hasn't gone to the GJ yet!

Renegade

Post by Renegade »

TacShot wrote:Renegade wrote:
It hasn't gone to the GJ yet!
Thanks, how do you find these things out?

TacShot

Post by TacShot »

I followed your suggestion and googled Carter Albeccht.

9mmGuy

Re: (Another) Castle Doctrine Question

Post by 9mmGuy »

seamusTX wrote:
alphonso wrote:Example, staying with my in laws in Dallas...If I'm in THEIR house do I have the same rules governing as if it was my house?
Yes.

Here's the catch: If you are in your home, and someone is banging on the door, you know that person doesn't belong there and is attempting to commit a crime.

In another person's home, you don't know what kind of shady stuff they might have going on. I'm not saying your in-laws would be involved in something like that, but in general.

- Jim
holy smokes the post that started all this never even said that banging on a door was a crime!! it says that the person is attempting a crime!!

geez people
Luck favors the Prepared
G19c, G26, KT P11, Mossberg Mav 88, 10/22

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”