What are the options if someone stole my garage door remote?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
puma guy
Posts in topic: 8

What are the options if someone stole my garage door remote?

Post by puma guy »

Someone broke into my wife's car last night and rifled through it. They just strew a bunch of papers and our grandson's koozie on the street. The only thing of value was a Mag lite which they failed to see. At least that's what we thought until one of our garage doors was opened in the middle of the day. We then realized her mini garage door remote was gone. I assume that was a drive by test since we were home. It's a Craftsman opener with a red programming button and my question is this. I know the opener generates the code to program the remotes, but is there any way to defeat using the missing remote? I have turned off the power for the time being.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

flechero
Posts in topic: 1

Re: What are the options if someone stole my garage door remote?

Post by flechero »

Yes, a test run for sure!

Reprogram- yes. You'll have to either find the book or a pdf online version but you can reprogram it to a different frequency. I had to do the same on ours for the last 2 houses and both were easy. (once you looked up the instructions)

google the model name/number that's on the unit and you should be able to find it w/o much effort.

strogg

Post by strogg »

:iagree:

Usually, removing remotes is easy. Too easy. Ask me how I know. Typically, holding down the program button for too long will remove all remotes. Fortunately, adding remotes back in isn't all that hard. As flechero said, it is best to refer to the manual.

Just keep in mind something very important. Due to residential code, all garage doors have this red pull cord that disconnects the garage door from the motor, making it a piece of cake for anyone to open the door manually, usually with something like a wire clothes hanger. It is a common way for thieves to get into the garage. Unless you have a way to prevent easy tampering of the pull cord and corresponding lever, consider all contents of the garage insecure.

aero10

Post by aero10 »

strogg wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:57 pm Just keep in mind something very important. Due to residential code, all garage doors have this red pull cord that disconnects the garage door from the motor, making it a piece of cake for anyone to open the door manually, usually with something like a wire clothes hanger. It is a common way for thieves to get into the garage. Unless you have a way to prevent easy tampering of the pull cord and corresponding lever, consider all contents of the garage insecure.
Zip ties. I zip tie mine up; it's a garage, I have cutting tools in there if needed to remove the zip ties.

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

If you don't have time right now to dedicate to deprogramming and reprogramming remotes, then unplug it until you do.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

Definitely UNPLUG and lock as fast as you can if you haven't already. Use manually until it can be reprogrammed however that must happen.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mrvmax »

Once you reprogram the remote won’t work.

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Boxerrider wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:21 pm If you don't have time right now to dedicate to deprogramming and reprogramming remotes, then unplug it until you do.
Thanks. Did that first thing.

Steamboat

Post by Steamboat »

My truck was broken into several years ago in my driveway. My remote was on the visor and the idiots went on in and took several items including tools and a small air compressor. The scary thing is that we were home at the time and never heard a thing. We were awakened about 2:00 am by a police officer wanting to know about the open garage door. That's when we found out that we'd been burglarized. Somehow, the only thing recovered was the remote from my truck that they used to open the door. I have never left a remote in one of our vehicles since. I hope you can get your opener reprogrammed before they decide to come back.
"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." — Will Rogers

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

C-dub wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:22 pm Definitely UNPLUG and lock as fast as you can if you haven't already. Use manually until it can be reprogrammed however that must happen.
Thanks, Chris! I did that already. From some research I found all the codes can be erased which will keep all the remotes from working until each one is reprogrammed. The cover which has the model # is missing (I had to replace a position switch adjustment screw and I guess I misplaced it long ago.) Looking for my owners manual to see how to cancel all the codes.

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

mrvmax wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:43 am Once you reprogram the remote won’t work.
Thanks. I just have to find my owner's manual to see how to cancel the codes. I'm pretty sure the learn button is used to do that, but I need to know the sequence or duration to use. Still unplugged for the time being.

n5wmk

Post by n5wmk »

Steamboat wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:03 am I have never left a remote in one of our vehicles since. I hope you can get your opener reprogrammed before they decide to come back.
What if you can't take the garage door remote out of the vehicle? My 2012 Toyota Tacoma and my wife's 2017 Ford Explorer both have Homelink garage door openers built in.

Mine is on the rear view mirror, hers is built into the visor. On either one, the button is active without the ignition turned on. In other words, if the vehicle is parked outside and someone breaks into the vehicle, they can open the garage door right then, gaining access to the garage and possibly our house. I wish that the manufacturers would make it so the buttons aren't active unless the ignition is on.

We always lock the door between the kitchen and the garage at night. And I've installed WiFi garage door openers/annunciators on both doors. I get a text message every time one of the doors is opened and closed, and I can close them from anywhere that my phone has internet service.
EDC CZ 2075 RAMI
NRA Benefactor Life Member
USAF 1972-1980
Texas A&M -1980-1984

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Found my owner's manual, My model # is 139.53975SRT1. It's very easy to erase the codes if any one has this model and needs to erase their codes. The red button is called the learn button. Used to program remotes and keyless pads. In the case of erasing the codes depressing the red button until the light by it goes out (about 6 seconds) will erase all the codes. Done and all my remaining remotes have been reprogrammed. Though I hope no one else has to use this information it works for two other models listed in my manual - 139.53962SRT1 & 139.53966SRT1
Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions.

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

n5wmk wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:42 am
What if you can't take the garage door remote out of the vehicle? My 2012 Toyota Tacoma and my wife's 2017 Ford Explorer both have Homelink garage door openers built in.
I don't have mine programmed for that reason. We use the remotes and take them in the house with us.
Psalm 91:2

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

n5wmk wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:42 am
Steamboat wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:03 am I have never left a remote in one of our vehicles since. I hope you can get your opener reprogrammed before they decide to come back.

Mine is on the rear view mirror, hers is built into the visor. On either one, the button is active without the ignition turned on. In other words, if the vehicle is parked outside and someone breaks into the vehicle, they can open the garage door right then, gaining access to the garage and possibly our house. I wish that the manufacturers would make it so the buttons aren't active unless the ignition is on.

We always lock the door between the kitchen and the garage at night. And I've installed WiFi garage door openers/annunciators on both doors. I get a text message every time one of the doors is opened and closed, and I can close them from anywhere that my phone has internet service.
My truck has that ability and I used to have it programmed for our previous house. I also put a dog door in the door from the house into the garage. Back then was when I can first remember there being a big increase in people waiting for women to open their garage doors and then drag them inside or wait until they had gone in and snuck in before they closed the door. I put the dog door in so my wife could wait for our Rotties to come out to her before she opened the car door. And we always brought the remotes in. It didn't take long before I realized the weak link and deprogrammed my truck for the doors. I did leave my parents' doors programmed, but they were 500 miles away.

In our current house when we had powered garage door installed they put those button things on the outside. I told them to not program them. Remotes always come inside.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “Off-Topic”