Protests - the next level?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

philip964
Posts in topic: 155

Re: Protests - the next level?

Post by philip964 »

https://www.foxnews.com/us/looting-forc ... e-closures

Looting forces Philadelphia grocery store chain to close all stores.

Yep.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Just Liked Candace Owens on Facebook, she is a young African American public figure.

"Confession: I DO NOT support George Floyd and I refuse to see him as a martyr. But I hope his family receives justice."

I am starting to get emails, just like when Covid19 started and we were all at home.

Here is a good one from the Museum of Fine Arts here in Houston from the Director.

"Dear Friends,

Monday, June 8, will be the day for public visitation and mourning prior to the private funeral of George Floyd on Tuesday. In light of the tragic killing of Mr. Floyd, only the most recent manifestation of racism and injustice inflicted on Black communities over our history and across our nation, and recognizing the anxiety, grief, and pain that many Museum staff members are experiencing, I have asked the staff to pause on Monday to reflect on what each of us can do, individually, to bring about a just and equitable society. All nonessential MFAH operations will cease that day, and offices will be closed.

Reflection and action will mean different things to each one of us. The City of Houston will be the epicenter of emotions and reflection for our nation. I believe it is important for all of us to join our city and our nation in mourning and, it is my fervent hope, in action to produce change.

I have asked staff to turn off our computers and personal devices, and to cease work emails. I have asked all to join me in setting up our auto-reply messages to inform everyone that we at the MFAH are taking this day for reflection:

Thank you for your message. The Museum has established Monday, June 8, as a day of reflection and mourning to honor the life of our native son, George Floyd. Staff members are not conducting Museum business on this day so that each of us may stand with the Black community and reflect on actions we can take to bring about a society free of racism and oppression. We will resume work tomorrow and will respond to your message at that time.

I believe that our individual actions collectively make the Museum more representative of the communities that we serve and in turn shape the community, through all that we do, by reflecting the ideals and aspirations that we strive to achieve."

In some ways I could see this as a way to try and protect the museum from looters by expressing all this to the public.

Saw one from a CEO of a chain of clothing stores one of which was vandalized in L.A. She said she understood and was not unhappy about it.

The University of Texas sent one, it went on and on like this

"We are still reeling from a challenging and unsettling spring semester that has required a monumental response from all of us to deal with the disruption brought on by the COVID-19 global pandemic. As the effects of the pandemic on the U.S. public health became clearer, our society also has had to reckon with the reality that patterns of infection and health outcomes of the pandemic echo longstanding health inequities that persistently impact economically disadvantaged communities and people of color.

On the heels of this, we have just witnessed the senseless killing of another Black man, George Floyd, by those whose roles are to protect and serve. During this trying period, Breonna Taylor, Tony McDade, and here in Austin, Mike Ramos, were also killed in interactions with law enforcement; Ahmaud Arbery was killed by those purporting to uphold the law. In another racially charged incident, Christian Cooper’s interaction with a White woman in a park resulted in the weaponization of his identity."

This one from Business Insider was about the oil industry and how far we still have to go.

"Pretty much every top energy company with large US holdings responded to our requests for comment, sharing memos they circulated to their staff or statements condemning racism.

That makes sense. Companies like Exxon and BP are among the largest corporations in the world, and as one diversity & inclusion (D&I) expert told me, "the world is watching."
"There's an expectation for business leaders to be visible, vocal, and willing to use their access and power to renounce racism and injustice," said Lanaya Irvin, president of the Center for Talent Innovation.

But: While words matter, energy companies still have a lot of D&I work to do, said Dennis Kennedy, who founded the Houston-based National Diversity Council.

About 8% of the energy industry is black, while women make up between 23% and 32%.
People of color have also historically been disproportionately impacted by pollution from the oil and gas industry.

Time to act: Kennedy and Irvin said there's now an opportunity to turn statements into stronger action.

It starts with community engagement, they agreed.
Kennedy is launching a new organization called the Energy Diversity and Inclusion Council, which seeks to be "the premier resource for D&I for the energy sector," he said.

Read more: "Oil Boom a Bust for Blacks," by Alan Neuhauser."

I remember reading a memo from a big oil company employee who is a friend. He had to attend a seminar about his "white privilege" and this was like about 3 years ago.

Ruark
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Ruark »

Many problems of the black community have nothing to do with "oppression by the white man." 40% of black males drop out of high school (80% in some big cities). 77% of black infants are born to unmarried mothers. 1/3 of black men have felony conviction records. These are the REAL issues of the black community, but where are Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpston, and BLM? Not a peep; these aren't glamour issues that can get them on TV.
-Ruark

imkopaka
Posts in topic: 3

Post by imkopaka »

Ruark wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:03 pm Many problems of the black community have nothing to do with "oppression by the white man." 40% of black males drop out of high school (80% in some big cities). 77% of black infants are born to unmarried mothers. 1/3 of black men have felony conviction records. These are the REAL issues of the black community, but where are Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpston, and BLM? Not a peep; these aren't glamour issues that can get them on TV.
Shaun King just posted something uncharacteristically intelligent on his facebook. Wonder if, with his 2m+ followers, this will encourage real change?

Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://wbbm780.radio.com/articles/mayo ... on-chicago

Mayor pleads with retailers not to leave Chicago.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://news.yahoo.com/im-minneapolis-c ... 51015.html

Minneapolis City Council to vote on disbanding the police.

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 23

Post by crazy2medic »

philip964 wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:19 pm https://news.yahoo.com/im-minneapolis-c ... 51015.html

It's hard to believe stupidity runs this deep
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Rafe
Posts in topic: 22

Post by Rafe »

philip964 wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:19 pm https://news.yahoo.com/im-minneapolis-c ... 51015.html

Looks in the bathroom mirror, squinting, for a long time. "This haircut is absolutely terrible. This purpose-groomed messy bed-head stuff is for the birds."

"Oh, it's not that bad, dear. Give it a day or two. I'll bet you grow to like it."

"Not a chance. This is atrocious. Honey, bring me the carving knife out of the butcher block."

"What are you going to do?"

"Cut off my nose. Then no one will notice the haircut."

Anybody see the movie Idiocracy?
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

parabelum
Posts in topic: 55

Post by parabelum »

Rafe wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:24 pm

Looks in the bathroom mirror, squinting, for a long time. "This haircut is absolutely terrible. This purpose-groomed messy bed-head stuff is for the birds."

"Oh, it's not that bad, dear. Give it a day or two. I'll bet you grow to like it."

"Not a chance. This is atrocious. Honey, bring me the carving knife out of the butcher block."

"What are you going to do?"

"Cut off my nose. Then no one will notice the haircut."

Anybody see the movie Idiocracy?
Brawndo... "rlol" The Thirst Mutilator!

philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://abc7.com/upland-protest-man-pul ... a/6229712/

Man arrested after brandishing an AR15 in front of a group of protestors moving through his neighborhood.

Syntyr
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Syntyr »

Watch the video. Sad....

Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

E10
Posts in topic: 4

Post by E10 »

I really cannot figure this "defund the police" idea. I read just about everything I come across about it, and what astounds me is that no one is suggesting any alternative. It's as if they expect to fire all the cops and burn down the police stations and somehow, like a phoenix, a new "law compliance" (?!) paradyme will emerge from the ashes. I predict that it ain't gonna be fun, or pretty, and probably will replace (name any Democrat) as the most prolific gun sales force ever. I'm glad I've currently got everything I think I'll need, and fully intend to maintain the armory.

L'esprit de l'escalier: Privatization - that's the ticket. All the cops will go into private security, working for those who can pay for it, and those that can't afford such, well, tough luck. That'll work.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 52

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

It is as if the millennials' and younger have all become mindless drones. With no thoughts toward the consequences they all just fall in line with the latest leftist slogan. It is scary to be honest. They have apparently been brain washed into compliance with leftist thought through the education system. It is becoming more destructive by the week now.

jason812
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jason812 »

parabelum wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:50 pm
Brawndo... "rlol" The Thirst Mutilator!
Brawndo has what plants crave. It's got electrolyte.

Never thought that movie would turn into a documentary.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Syntyr
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Syntyr »

Now they are attacking Texas Children's hospital.. Those mean cancer kids and their priviledge! This makes my blood boil!

Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

Return to “Off-Topic”