The meaning of declaring "solidarity"?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Daddio-on-patio
Posts in topic: 1

The meaning of declaring "solidarity"?

Post by Daddio-on-patio »

Saw a statement by a well known multimedia and shipping company. The scroll stated"..... declares solidarity with the black community." For the record I am not opposed to this sentiment. I was just wondering (dangerous territory I know) if declaring solidarity with a particular creed, origin, ethnic background, etc would by definition or otherwise preclude you from aligning, supporting, socializing...whatever..... with any other group? I've read thru various "definitions" and was wondering how it reads to y'all.
Ephesians 6:12 NKJV

12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age,[a] against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

powerboatr

Re: The meaning of declaring "solidarity"?

Post by powerboatr »

great question, to me its like OH ALL the sudden they recognize people?? its a ploy to not loose customers i guess. i think companies already cannot discriminate based on race, creed, sex, ethnicity, etc...but i could be wrong ???

congress bowing and kneeling is a pledge to be a sheep, imo we need more sheep dogs , sheep dogs protect the whole flock regardless of fur color or striations
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I'm the wrong guy to ask. I've become very cynical these days about what I think motivates people to do things.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

Solidarity is one of those "squishy" words for people who don't want to get into the dirty details. I call those the "how-do-Is"

Defund the police? OK. Let's go with that. How do I deal with domestic violence situations? Supposedly, the idea is to replace an officer response with some sort of compassionate social worker. OK, let's go with that, too. Where are the unarmed social workers who are willing to stand in there when both parties in the DV turn on them? When you cannot stop a big guy from beating the crap out of his girl friend, what then?

Solidarity is a large part of the problem. It implies that everyone has to do the Vulcan mind meld and think exactly alike. It takes away any middle ground, any chance for compromise. Do I agree that we are in a situation where there is too much militarization in police forces? Yes. Do I want to defund the police? NO, NO, NO. Do I think there is over-policing and discrimination in some areas? Yes. But I also think that there is not enough policing and the abandonment of large areas of real estate in most of the big cities to lawlessness and anarchy. Instead of trying to find those middle ground areas of agreement and move on them, we end up in diametrically opposed castles of solidarity. In the mean time all of the smaller problems that we could have solved go unchecked. We need to stop trying to achieve solidarity and start searching again for consensus.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

It means whatever you want it to mean.
NRA Endowment Member

XDgal

Post by XDgal »

It means what the Ministry of truth and the latest Newspeak dictionary says it means, of course, comrades. Long live Big Brother! Now I'm late for the five minutes of Hate.
XDgal

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:26 pm I'm the wrong guy to ask. I've become very cynical these days about what I think motivates people to do things.
:iagree: This right here.

Return to “Off-Topic”