Coronapocalypse Projects & Pastimes

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Coronapocalypse Projects & Pastimes

Post by Flightmare »

AndyC wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:06 pm Well, I got the terrifying part over with - powering up this beast of an amp for the first time:

Totally outside my comfort-zone, but... so far so good. No bangs, pops or burning smells.

I love the safety preparation and having the fire extinguisher in the picture. :thumbs2:
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Topic author
Rafe
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Rafe »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:55 am I have also been looking at SB Tactical, although I’ve also been looking at the SBRA3 model for a more minimalist kind of thing. BTW, I noticed that SB Tactical also offers a folding adapter for a lot less money than the LAW unit, but it isn’t for AR platform pistols. :grumble
I saw that. It looked like it attached to the rear of the firearm with a rail mount type of attachment plate and then just swings off to the side. Is it ambi? Can you have it move out of the way of your correct-handedness? It didn't look adjustable, but it does look like it'd be super light. But having to buy a SIG MPX or something to hang on the front of it would make it sort of an expensive brace for me. ;-)
AndyC wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:06 pm Well, I got the terrifying part over with - powering up this beast of an amp for the first time.

Totally outside my comfort-zone, but... so far so good. No bangs, pops or burning smells.
And no scorch marks in the amp or or the walls! Woo hoo! I finally had to take a minute to go look up the history of the JCM800: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_JCM800.
The JCM800 amplifiers became a staple of 1980s hard rock and heavy metal bands.... The JCM800 is considered a "hot" amplifier because it has more gain stages than comparable amplifiers, and in "lead" mode (in the "high" input), an extra triode provides extra gain to the pre-amplifier, which "made for one hot rock amp".
:rock" :cheers2:
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

AndyC wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:46 pm
Boxerrider wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:10 pm Nice! I homebrewed a Fender Deluxe several years back, but yours looks more involved than that. What are you building?
This is a clone of a Marshall 50-watt tube head:

Rafe wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:18 pm Sweet!! You know that we're absolutely going to have to hear a recording of this thing once you get her ready. You have an old school Strat or something you're going to plug into it?
I'll do my best, but I worry about the neighbors ;) No Strat - a homebuilt Les Paul clone and a Gibson Les Paul.
I was just reviewing this post, and I noticed that your clone doesn’t go up to eleven. Is that by intention, or are they going to warranty that?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Project over pastime. After I finish church work every day I have been working on making water run where I want it to go instead of just running wild on the place. Cleaning out a couple of ditches and putting in 2 culverts in a couple of wet weather drains headed for a big creek down the way. Got my tractor stuck workin on one ofEm here couple of weeks ago so now I am lot more careful.
Always plenty to do in the country. I like it outside when I can get there.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Topic author
Rafe
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Rafe »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:19 pm I was just reviewing this post, and I noticed that your clone doesn’t go up to eleven. Is that by intention, or are they going to warranty that?
:smilelol5: Nigel Tufnel lives!
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Having acquired whiskers, beeswax, and almond oil, I am fixing to manufacture and try out some homemade moustache wax.

I hope I still have a need for it when things return to normal. Right now I am unshaven at home under a special pandemic dispensation.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”