150 grain hard cast full wadcutters (non +p)

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
stash
Posts in topic: 3

150 grain hard cast full wadcutters (non +p)

Post by stash »

I have been thinking of getting a box of captioned ammo to try in my .38 spl LCR. Before I get some I wonder if anyone has any idea how that would work in the LCR specifically recoil. It appears from what I have read recently it would make a pretty good SD round.
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

flechero
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 150 grain hard cast full wadcutters (non +p)

Post by flechero »

stash wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:37 am any idea how that would work in the LCR specifically recoil.
They should shoot like most other 150gr at a similar velocity. The bullet profile itself won't impact recoil. (bullet diameter and powder burn speed will but they adjust for that when developing a load)

If the load mentioned intrigues you, try a couple boxed and see how you like them, they might shoot better than anything you've tried yet. Wadcutters are generally very accurate.

:fire

Topic author
stash

Post by stash »

Thank you for the info flechero. I try a box or two.
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

K-Texas
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by K-Texas »

Maybe the most prolific gunfighter of the 20th century was the late Jim Cirillo. Before JHPs became the mainstay of defense loads, he handloaded 148 gr. hollow cavity wadcutters in reverse with the hollow cavity forward. I don't know of a commercial version, but there are several options for 158 gr. SWCHPs which was the standard load of the FBI for their 3" S&W M13s. These bullets are swaged lead and a good bit softer than the hard-cast or polycoated many of us handload. ;-)
Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want . . .

Topic author
stash

Post by stash »

Thanks K Texas I have some of those. I will give them a shot.
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

K-Texas
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by K-Texas »

Stash, the 158 gr. SWCHP used by the FBI was rated +P. I included that originally with my previous post but changed it since you may want to stay away from +P loads. I don't have data for the 148 gr. Hollow Base Wadcutters used in reverse while I believe the same powder charges were used while they really shouldn't be loaded any faster than around 800 FPS due to the lead at the nose being somewhat fragile and being limited to the pressure they can take without blowing the center of the bullet out.

If you can find a standard pressure 158 hr. SWCHP, they really shouldn't be much different in terms of velocity and recoil from the 148 gr. WCs. The only loads off the top of my head are +P rated, including a pretty intense one from Buffalo Bore. Remington and Winchester should still make a 158 gr. lead load, but whether or not they can be bought with a SWCHP, I can't say. Speer and Hornady both make and sell them as component bullets, as well as the 148 gr. Wadcutters, but the question is if the 158 gr. SWCHP can be bought in a factory load without a +P designation. That I do not know. ;-)
Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want . . .

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”