How long for DPS to process your CHL

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

How long did it take for DPS to process your new or renewal CHL?

New - 60 days or less
48%
New - 61 to 70 days
15%
New - 71 to 80 days
15%
Renewal - 45 days or less
5%
Renewal - 46 to 60 days
5%
Renewal - 61 to 70 days
3%
Additional Processing Time - Timely issued
4%
Additional Processing Time - Not timely issued
6%

Total votes: 340

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 6

Post by txinvestigator »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:DPS tries to claim they get 60 business days rather than calendar days, but that's not correct. The statute says not later than the 60th day after the date the department receives the application materials. Tex. Govt Code §411.176(b). When a statute is silent as to business v. calendar days, it's calendar days (common usage).

Chas.
LOL Thats good to know Chas. Even at instructor school they tell us business days. Do you think the legislators might do something next session to help? Do we need to start a letter campaign to the Colonel of DPS?
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 26

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

txinvestigator wrote: LOL Thats good to know Chas. Even at instructor school they tell us business days. Do you think the legislators might do something next session to help?
I wish I had a good answer, but an honest one is "I don't know." I've been the raising the roof on this issue for years, but the Legislature is loth to do anything that appears to be an insult to DPS. It was a real coup to move reciprocity from DPS to the AG/Governor.

I have to admit being surprised at DPS' overall handling of CHL applications. It's a great agency as far as law enforcement is concerned, but it sucks at administrating CHL. I have some ideas along the lines of what I've already mentioned that I plan to push in the TSRA Legislative Committee. Only time will tell if they will be accepted.

Regards,
Chas.

dejadoo

Post by dejadoo »

Hey Guys!

I appreciate all the feedback here. The website still says "application processing" and I suspect that my CHL was not mailed last week as I was told it would be.

But my question was to whom do I direct a complaint about DPS not holding up their end of the deal?

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

dejadoo:
I would just call DPS Concealed Handgun section Monday and politely check on your CHL. Unfortunately, complaints won't help; it's going to take Legislative action to get applications processed on time.

Regards,
Chas.

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
txinvestigator wrote:
I have to admit being surprised at DPS' overall handling of CHL applications. It's a great agency as far as law enforcement is concerned, but it sucks at administrating CHL. I have some ideas along the lines of what I've already mentioned that I plan to push in the TSRA Legislative Committee. Only time will tell if they will be accepted.

Regards,
Chas.

It is odd too, as the training division really has their act together on CHL issues.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

dejadoo

Post by dejadoo »

dejadoo

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:33 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am new to this forum and am awaiting the arrival of my CHL. I am at 75 days, as of today, without any hiccups, i.e. fingerprint or other paper work problems to cause a legitmate delay. I have read this entire thread and have one question.

What recourse is available to us if DPS uses a bogus excuse, or does not offer an excuse, for not issuing a license withing the 60 day time frame?

December 25, 2005 was day 60 for me. I called on December 27 to inquire as to the status of my application. After the lady on the other end looked me up in the computer, I was told "it would be another week due to employees being off for the holidays".

I called again on January 4, 2006. Once again they looked my up in the computer and this time I was told that everything was complete. The lady on the other end said she "would not be able to get it in the mail that day, but she would mail it tomorrow".

I am just a few miles from the DPS office, so I expected it by this Saturday at the latest. And as everyone may guess, due to me posting here, it still has not arrived.

So, if I chose to raise a stink over this to whom would I direct my complaint?
Charles,

Thanks for they replies. I called again today, Monday January 9, to check on the status of my application (This is my third polite inquirey to DPS in three weeks). After being told last Wednesday that everything was completed and my CHL would be mailed out the next day, today I was told that a field report they were waiting on (I believe she said from Williamson County) finally came in last Friday. When I questioned this and informed her that this missing report had not been mentioned in either of my previous calls, I was told I would have to contact whomever I had spoke with previously to try to get an answer. And of course, silly me did not think it would be necessary to document everybody I had spoken with at DPS.

So, now I am told it should go out sometime this week. I asked if I could come down and pick it up today but was informed that it must be mailed out. So I asked what else they needed to do to finalize the process and was told that all that was needed was for them to verfiy that the information on the CHL matched what was submitted on the application. When I asked how long that would take, I was again told that it should be mailed out some time this week.

Today is day 76 since their receipt of my application.

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 10

Post by flintknapper »

Today makes just about 5 weeks since they received my renewal. I checked on-line again... and finally got an "application being processed" message.

So, perhaps things will progress smoothly from here on out...and I'll receive it soon. Been without pistol since Dec. 23rd (my fault for not renewing earlier), so I'm not complaining. I'M NOT, I'M NOT, I"M NOT.............. :grin:

John R. Fuller
Posts in topic: 2

Post by John R. Fuller »

I just sent my renewal application in by registered mail a couple of weeks ago. I got my registered reciept back saying that some one with the last name of Rodriguez signed for the packet at the DPS address on the provided brown envelope.

I wonder if this counts as evidence they have it in their possession? I am eagerly awaiting. I am not a problem with Law Enforcement and have never been arressted or charged for anything, so I anticipate few problems with the application.
I am not the first or the last...

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 7

Post by stevie_d_64 »

I get scared everytime I come into this thread to see all of this...

I got a year and a half before mine expires...uggg...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

TxFire
Posts in topic: 5

Post by TxFire »

Well, let the clock start for me. USPS shows that my packet was recieved in Austin today. Hope all goes smoothly.

John R. Fuller
Posts in topic: 2

DPS CHL Processing:

Post by John R. Fuller »

Stevie d.
I would begin the process now. I am contemplating what it will be like to not carry on my person 24/7. I suppose this will be a good time to train on my other CCW skills such as situational awareness.

Besides, I never carried a pistol on a daily basis for close to eighteen years and the military changed all that for me.

I've carried for four years now on a civilian CHL from the state of Texas. Nothing happened then, and I will be ever confident that good sense will prevent most of the bad things that can happen to me and mine.

I am satisfied that vehicle carry on the new traveling law will mitigate much of this lack of coverage of being armed. I will just have to be careful because I will not be able to have a firearm in the vehicle if I drive onto school grounds now.

I wasn't afraid to go about unarmed before CHL and I am not about to be afraid now. Besides. I think this will be an excellent time to concentrate on other things while I wait for my liscense. Tomorrow I turn forty years of age. My wife found it amusing that I was more concerned about not carrying than my last day of 39 today.
I am not the first or the last...

dejadoo

Post by dejadoo »

Today is day 79 for me. :cry: :mad: :evil:

When I checked the DPS websight this morning my status had been updated to "Application Completed - license issued or certificate active". And I just noticed in the poll that there is not a cateogry for New >80 days :shock: , should it not arrive in my mail box over the next two days.

aggie dad
Posts in topic: 9

Post by aggie dad »

Hi Folks, DPS received my packet for a new license on 12/15/05 (as noted by post office return receipt). I have not received any PIN notification to date, so I just sent them an email requesting my PIN. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for a reply.

It appeared that their turnaround was starting to improve, but now looks like it is going in the opposite direction. Too bad there is no recourse (eg automatic issuance) once the 60 day period has been exceeded.

Well I guess its time to hunker down and try to be patient. Very nice forum!! I have been a lurker for awhile and am looking forward to being a more active poster in the future.

Doug

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Welcome Doug. I hope you get the 60 version, rather than 60++++.

Chas.

dejadoo

Post by dejadoo »

A follow-up to my morning post:

Day 79, my CHL arrived in the afternoon mail. :o

May everyone have a speedier process!!!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”