How long for DPS to process your CHL

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

How long did it take for DPS to process your new or renewal CHL?

New - 60 days or less
48%
New - 61 to 70 days
15%
New - 71 to 80 days
15%
Renewal - 45 days or less
5%
Renewal - 46 to 60 days
5%
Renewal - 61 to 70 days
3%
Additional Processing Time - Timely issued
4%
Additional Processing Time - Not timely issued
6%

Total votes: 340

bauerdj
Posts in topic: 6

CHL Received

Post by bauerdj »

I received mine in the mail today. Here are the stats:
Mailbox to Mailbox - 65 Days
Received by DPS (per return receipt) to Web site "issued" exactly 60 days.

No items returned for correction.

60 days seemed like forever!

Kalrog
Posts in topic: 22

Re: CHL Received

Post by Kalrog »

bauerdj wrote:60 days seemed like forever!
Imagine what my nearly 120 days seemed like... And nothing was returned to me either.

brewer90
Posts in topic: 4

Post by brewer90 »

120 days?!?! Did they give you a reason for the delay? I wish the law had some more teeth to get the license issued in 60 days. I don't guess there is much more I can do than bug them every so often with a phone call.

Kalrog
Posts in topic: 22

Post by Kalrog »

No reason given - and I started calling and pestering them right about the 60 day mark.

It was right as they moved buildings so my guess is that had something to do with it. But that still is no excuse and you are right - no teeth in that 60 day mandate at all.

brewer90
Posts in topic: 4

Post by brewer90 »

Santa did come after all! Application Completed - license issued or certificate active

71 days from receipt until approval status changed.

the real deal
Posts in topic: 3

Post by the real deal »

the real deal wrote:Talked to one of the girls down there yesturday. She indicated they are 2 - 2.5 weeks behind in just logging in applications received. I called because I sent the app in 2+ weeks ago, and the site still says "Packet mailed to applicant".
UPDATE: Website still says "Packet Mailed to Applicant". However, I talked to them today, and they did indicate it was there, just not entered yet, or just entered. They are now at 3-4 weeks behind in logging in apps.

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KBCraig »

the real deal wrote:
the real deal wrote:Talked to one of the girls down there yesturday. She indicated they are 2 - 2.5 weeks behind in just logging in applications received. I called because I sent the app in 2+ weeks ago, and the site still says "Packet mailed to applicant".
UPDATE: Website still says "Packet Mailed to Applicant". However, I talked to them today, and they did indicate it was there, just not entered yet, or just entered. They are now at 3-4 weeks behind in logging in apps.
That is insane, and unacceptable. How long can it possibly take to type the relevant information into a computer?

I suspect that the delay in logging is just a smokescreen; I bet the real delay is somewhere further down the line, probably in background investigation. They're not logging applications, to avoid starting the 60 day stopwatch. (Not that they really care about the 60 day limit, as they've shown over and over!)

I believe a priority for 2007 should be mandating issuance of the license within 60 calendar days of receipt of a completed application. If the BI process later shows the applicant doesn't qualify, then revoke the license.

Even 60 days is ridiculous, but let's cut down one tree at a time.

Kevin

the real deal
Posts in topic: 3

Post by the real deal »

I was in Vegas the last few days for CES, so I don't know which day it was (probably yesturday), but the website finally says "Processing Application"

dejadoo

Post by dejadoo »

I am new to this forum and am awaiting the arrival of my CHL. I am at 75 days, as of today, without any hiccups, i.e. fingerprint or other paper work problems to cause a legitmate delay. I have read this entire thread and have one question.

What recourse is available to us if DPS uses a bogus excuse, or does not offer an excuse, for not issuing a license withing the 60 day time frame?

December 25, 2005 was day 60 for me. I called on December 27 to inquire as to the status of my application. After the lady on the other end looked me up in the computer, I was told "it would be another week due to employees being off for the holidays".

I called again on January 4, 2006. Once again they looked my up in the computer and this time I was told that everything was complete. The lady on the other end said she "would not be able to get it in the mail that day, but she would mail it tomorrow".

I am just a few miles from the DPS office, so I expected it by this Saturday at the latest. And as everyone may guess, due to me posting here, it still has not arrived.

So, if I chose to raise a stink over this to whom would I direct my complaint?

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

dejadoo wrote:I am new to this forum and am awaiting the arrival of my CHL. I am at 75 days, as of today, without any hiccups, i.e. fingerprint or other paper work problems to cause a legitmate delay. I have read this entire thread and have one question.

What recourse is available to us if DPS uses a bogus excuse, or does not offer an excuse, for not issuing a license withing the 60 day time frame?

December 25, 2005 was day 60 for me. I called on December 27 to inquire as to the status of my application. After the lady on the other end looked me up in the computer, I was told "it would be another week due to employees being off for the holidays".

I called again on January 4, 2006. Once again they looked my up in the computer and this time I was told that everything was complete. The lady on the other end said she "would not be able to get it in the mail that day, but she would mail it tomorrow".

I am just a few miles from the DPS office, so I expected it by this Saturday at the latest. And as everyone may guess, due to me posting here, it still has not arrived.

So, if I chose to raise a stink over this to whom would I direct my complaint?
On what date did you mail your packet? Do you know on what date they received it?
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

dejadoo

Post by dejadoo »

txinvestigator,

Yes. I mailed my application certified on October 24, 2005, and the USPS website verifed that it was received on October 25. The letter they sent notifying me that they had received my application and providing my PIN # was dated November 14.

bauerdj

Post by bauerdj »

When you check the website with your pin what is the status? If it says"certificate active or license issued" it should be in the mail. If not received within 5 business days after the website indicates it has been issued I would be concerned it has gotten lost in the mail.

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 10

Post by flintknapper »

bauerdj wrote: If not received within 5 business days after the website indicates it has been issued I would be concerned it has gotten lost in the mail.
Don't bother initiating a "tracer" on it until 45 days have passed (if sent 1st class mail). I have had 3 letters lost by the USPS in the last year. Along with the form you are issued to fill out, you get a "form letter" explaining that over 8 MILLION articles of mail are damaged or lost every year, and about 10-15 percent of those are eventually found and delivered. I read that to mean: "don't hold your breath". :cry:

So.......pray that it wasn't "lost".

Good luck,

flint

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

dejadoo wrote:txinvestigator,

Yes. I mailed my application certified on October 24, 2005, and the USPS website verifed that it was received on October 25. The letter they sent notifying me that they had received my application and providing my PIN # was dated November 14.
They have 60 business days. You application had been there 48 business days on December 23.

By my quick guesstimate, Jan 12 is your 60 day mark.

Hopefully you will get pretty soon. Good luck!!
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 26

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

DPS tries to claim they get 60 business days rather than calendar days, but that's not correct. The statute says not later than the 60th day after the date the department receives the application materials. Tex. Govt Code §411.176(b). When a statute is silent as to business v. calendar days, it's calendar days (common usage).

Chas.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”