Anti-Gun question...

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

ricor
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ricor »

surftx - maybe among your friends there are people who own firearms and have a CHL. Your spouse would probably be more open to discussing the matter with them. R

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

surfTX wrote:Ya i agree that most of the anti feelings stem from emotion and also a lack of knowledge. The uninformed part is easier to deal w/, but the emotional one is what seems to be a little trickier. Particularly my SO is the one that has the most isssues. She agrees with the logic that i provide, but when it's all said and done it doesn't change much. I've got it from "i cant live in a house w/ guns" to "i don't wanna ever see them or know about them." Slight progress. But i would rather not every single time i go to the range be a 30 minute conversation about how i might get shot. Many logically defenses to that statement, but again no dice. Thanks to all for the input :cool:

Tell me about it.

Slightly different issue....same lack of reasoning and application of emotion.
:roll:

http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... sc&start=0
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

Some people don't want to know what goes on around them. It's easier to stick one's head in the sand, then blame the problems on an inanimate object.
I'm having this problem with my sister. I've even tried sharing information with her about what goes on in the Dallas area (I don't live there, but I've read the news articles). She asserts that she doesn't live in Dallas because it's "bad", and that her little suburb is nice and they don't have any crime there.
I've backed off b/c I can tell she's completely shutting me out; however, others have used reason with a greater degree of success.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

jason
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jason »

My girls were afraid of guns when I first introduced them to firearms. They were concerned that guns were dangerous.

I placed a firearm on the table. I asked them what about that they were afraid of. What will that gun on the table do. I told them we could watch it as long as they wanted to see. Of course, it would do nothing.

I put a bullet on the table. That's the part that causes the destruction. Asked them to watch it. Asked them to hold it. Hmmm... no fear that the bullet would do anything.

So the gun, by itself was not dangerous, and neither was the bullet. So where was the danger. In people. I asked if they were afraid of me. They said no.

I picked up the weapon, asked them to see where my finger was - not on the trigger. Where was the gun pointed, in a safe direction. I asked if they felt they were capable of holding the gun in a safe direction and keeping their finger off the trigger... that is half the battle when it comes to safety.

They said, what about people we are afraid of with guns. I said, would you be afraid of someone with bad intentions if they didn't have a gun? They said, they would. So the gun, even in that situation, was not the danger, though it escalated the potential outcome.

It clicked for them that it made sense if you were to protect yourself from the BG, safe and responsible gun ownership (includes training) was an ok thing.

They still don't believe I need to carry it everywhere, but that's ok. I've told them when they're old enough to get their CHL, they will need to decide for themselves if it is what they want. If they don't, that's ok.

While the freedom to own and carry a gun (depending on state) is theirs, not everyone should. Some people just aren't suited to it. That's ok.
Jason

jason
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jason »

I should point out that my mother is anti-gun (not proactively), she states, " I don't like guns." I leave it at that. She states her position, she doesn't try to convince me not to own or carry, and I don't try to convince her otherwise.

When I bought a rifle when I was 16, she didn't like it, but didn't make me get rid of it. She just didn't want to have to see it.

She has fired guns in the past when she was a teenager.
Jason

Topic author
surfTX
Posts in topic: 3

Post by surfTX »

Wow! Thanks to everyone for all the responses, I feel like i have enough talking points and ideas to give her a speech. I will definatley be bookmarking this page and referencing back to it many times in the future as i can't even remember all the great points made thus far. And also i kinda remember the old saying, "Timing is everything." It seems that 95% when we have the gun conversation, it's on the phone while i'm on the way to the range, or when i just got back from the gun show, etc. i think that might have something to do with it. At those times she probably is not in the best mindset to be receptive too my ideas i guess. Again, thanks for sharing your experiences with us, hopefully i'm not the only one who can learn someting from it. Hmmm, maybe i should let her read this thread.....

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 4

Post by seamusTX »

surfTX wrote:Hmmm, maybe i should let her read this thread.....
Do what you think best. I know I would be annoyed if my wife was asking online for ways to "handle" me.

Someone mentioned the Cornered Cat, but I don't think I saw the URL:
http://www.corneredcat.com/

- Jim

oldboyshooter

Post by oldboyshooter »

Many years ago, my wife had a work associate (female) that thought only thugs owned guns (I guess she thought I was a thug), that guns kill people, and that only cops should own guns. She was adamant about it. Well, one night she was assaulted by three bad guys. I don't know if they had a gun, but they overpowered her and took advantage.

She bought a revolver the next day. I took her to the range, showed her how to use it, and told her the laws (way before CHL's were in existence).

I do not know what happened to her as years have past and we have moved and my wife did not stay in touch. She certainly changed her mind in a big hurry about guns.

One thing she did figure out was that God may have created man and woman, but Colonel Colt made them equal.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”