Wife let CHL lapse. Any good CHL instructors?

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
ScubaDachshund
Posts in topic: 1

Wife let CHL lapse. Any good CHL instructors?

Post by ScubaDachshund »

My wife and I got our CHL's together a few years back. They came up for renewal last year. The guy that taught our class was a first class jerk and a terrible instructor. (I used to be a Law Enforcement/Security firearms instructor so I know of what I speak.) I passed but my wife didn't. The guy irritated/scared her so bad she had trouble shooting. Plus, he only counted "what he could see." I could tell which holes were more than 1 round but apparently he couldn't. The way I counted it, she passed. He didn't see it that way.

Anyway. The experience upset her so much that she never went back to reshoot and renew her license. A whole year has passed so now she will have to go through the initial licensing class again. Any suggestions on good instructors? We are near Top Gun and American Shooting Center if that helps narrow it down.

Appreciate the help.

Mark

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Welcome to the forum. Sorry for your bad experience. We have some excellent instructors on the Forum and they will be along soon to help you.

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

ScubaDachshund

If you are toward the north side of Houston. Shooter's Station in Conroe has a truely excellent instructor.

She is a woman, funny, and full of good war stories. She makes the very dry course information interesting and is very good with the students on the range. I have seen her take students that were very intimidated and nervous and have them pssing with flying colors. I give her five stars.

The range is very woman friendly as well. I enjoy shooting there.

It is clean and well run.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Welcome to TexasCHLforum! I too am sorry about your wife's experience, especially since it caused her to let her CHL expire.

I don't personally know who is teaching in the Top Gun and American Shooting Center areas, but there must be some good instructors there. Perhaps someone will speak up.

ElGato on the forum has a great reputation. I refer a number of people to him every month and I always hear nothing but positive comments about him and his class. The only problem for your wife may be his location in Texas City. If you would like to use him, here is a link to ElGato's contact information.

Please encourage your wife to join us on the forum.

Chas.

shipwreck

Post by shipwreck »

I take my classes at Champion Firearms in College Station - but that's about an hour north of ya.

Hardlyangelschl

Helping your wife

Post by Hardlyangelschl »

If it's been over a year, she will have to start from the beginning. I am a Licensed CHL instructor and I have a Lady's Only Class. My goal is to work with women and take the intimidation out of the class.

My class is in Humble Texas

I would love to help her. "Self Defense is a basic human right" and she will feel 100% better after taking my class.

Please see my website:
http://www.hardlyangelschl.com
http://www.doubleactionchl.com

I shoot at Top Gun often as well!

Return to “Ladies”