Thoughts on CHL Training at Top Gun Range (Houston, TX)

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
badkarma56
Posts in topic: 8

Post by badkarma56 »

T3hK1w1 wrote:have him take the Class!!! He can always rent now and buy one later

Edit: I'm sure I will buy AT LEAST 1 gun while I am waiting for my plastic to come in, great way to pass the time.
I concur completely, I've bought two new pistols in the last month!
:fire
Online CHL App Completed: 25JUN07
CHL App Packet Received from DPS: 29JUN07
CHL Class: 7JUL07
CHL App Sent to DPS: 9JUL07
DPS Received CHL App: 12JUL07
DPS "Processing App": 25JUL07
DPS "App Completed": 15AUG07
CHL In-Hand: 17AUG07

JJR1971
Posts in topic: 1

Planning on taking 2 day course (evenings) from TopGun

Post by JJR1971 »

I am planning on taking the 2-day course from TopGun, on two consecutive evenings; 9/11 thru 9/12. I am planning on using one of my own pieces for the test, either my Bersa Thunder .380 or my Taurus PT92. I've used some of their rental guns and found them satisfactory; I took a Glock in 40 S&W for a spin there once, and a SA Revolver in .45 LC, for fun.

It seems like a well-run range, and I am looking forward to the course. My only complaint is I faxed my registration to them x2; the first time they never acknowledged (never got it), the 2nd time, they didn't get the 2nd page past my coversheet, with the actual registration and payment infos :???:

I finally gave up and just snail-mailed it, since that far in the future, you can't register online for next month yet.

I usually go shoot at American Shooting Centers on the west side of Houston, since I live in Sugar Land. I have an annual membership there, while Top Gun does not, to my knowledge, have annual memberships but is pay per use, which adds up quickly. But for my current circumstances (work & family obligations), the evening course(s) at TopGun work best for me. I like the fact that they have rentals available for those who don't own a handgun in .32 cal or bigger; for the longest time our family had only shotguns & .22LRs. I changed that, first with a Marlin .30-.30 and later my Taurus PT92. I also have a Rock Island Armory M1911A parkerized GI model in .45 acp which I LOVE, but I do like the higher mag capacity of the Taurus PT92, too.

mdek

Post by mdek »

I took the CHL course from Top Gun several months ago, and I was very impressed by the instructor (Ken Dexter, I think). He was very thorough and kept our attention as well as was possible. They took care of everything for the application, including fingerprints and photos. As for the range itself, I think it's very nice, but at $15/hour, I usually also end up going to American Shooting Centers.

htxred

Post by htxred »

top gun has good reviews from most people i've spoken too. i opt to take my CHL class with jim pruett's guns and ammo. the fee was 125, but they feed you and fill you with soda throughout the day. Very good family environment, Jim's wife is amazing, she took care of everyone as if they were her kids. Jim's son taught the class and he's pretty funny himself.

If i had to suggest a place, i would suggest Jim Pruett's or marksman shooting range in south houston, marksman is the range i spend most of my time at (its a 30min commute btw) but they are really good people.

i dotn like topgun for the simple fact they regulate what ammo you're allowed to use "too" much.. they wouldnt even let me use factory steel case ammo a few times ago. everything has to be brass from what the lil short dorky guy that works there said. no offense. i only go there as a last resort (usually when im meeting other people)

but as far as quality, i hear nothing but good things about topgun's CHL class.

Enron Exec

Post by Enron Exec »

I took a beginer's course with a Topgun instructor and learned alot, but at 125 bucks for 1 hour with an instructor is kinda steap. :???:

kingpinxB
Posts in topic: 3

Post by kingpinxB »

i had my class on saturday at top gun. Jeff is a top-notch instructor and overall good guy. very informative and lent me a part off his own gun when my glock failed.

Kyle(Houston)
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Kyle(Houston) »

kingpinxB wrote:when my glock failed.
Don't say that in front of any other Glock owner..they will disown you. :evil:

Glocks never fail :lol:

kingpinxB

Post by kingpinxB »

Kyle(Houston) wrote:

it wasn't the glocks fault... it was the shoddy aftermarket extended slide release that collectors firearms sold me.

Kyle(Houston)
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Kyle(Houston) »

kingpinxB wrote:
Kyle(Houston) wrote:

it wasn't the glocks fault... it was the shoddy aftermarket crap(extended slide release) that collectors firearms sold me.
Gotcha :smile:

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

kingpinxB wrote:
Kyle(Houston) wrote:

it wasn't the glocks fault... it was the shoddy aftermarket extended slide release that collectors firearms sold me.
I am glad you got rid of that thing....I gave one away a few days ago. That and the extended mag release buttons come off of my guns ASAP!
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

jbirds1210 wrote:
kingpinxB wrote:
Kyle(Houston) wrote:

I am glad you got rid of that thing....I gave one away a few days ago. That and the extended mag release buttons come off of my guns ASAP!
I concur with Clint Smith on this, the only Glocks he's ever seen fail were due to aftermarket parts/modifications that were used.

The only modification that has been done with mine are the night sights.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

kingpinxB

Post by kingpinxB »

RPBrown wrote:
jbirds1210 wrote:
kingpinxB wrote:
Kyle(Houston) wrote:

I concur with Clint Smith on this, the only Glocks he's ever seen fail were due to aftermarket parts/modifications that were used.

The only modification that has been done with mine are the night sights.
that's why my 17 is a "fun gun". I'm going to get a 21 for daily carry.

Wheelman

Post by Wheelman »

Kaizen wrote:I took my class at Top Gun and everything went very smoothly.

I think my instructor's name was Ken (tall guy, looks sort of like Richard Petty). The class went about as well as any 10 hour class on state law can go :smile: Just listen, follow instructions, and ask questions if you have any. I remember him being very thorough with checking the paperwork we needed to send in. I didn't have any delays with my application due to forgetting to sign anything or fill out something.
I had Ken at Top Gun as well. He is a cool guy, overall good experience here. :cool:
Springfield XD-9 9mm
FEG PA-63 9x18mm
RRA Elite CAR AR-15 5.56mm
Remington 870 Express 12ga.
Marlin Mdl 60 .22
Winchester Mdl 70 Featherweight .30-06

texasmr2

Re:

Post by texasmr2 »

Kaizen wrote:I took my class at Top Gun and everything went very smoothly.

I think my instructor's name was Ken (tall guy, looks sort of like Richard Petty). The class went about as well as any 10 hour class on state law can go :smile: Just listen, follow instructions, and ask questions if you have any. I remember him being very thorough with checking the paperwork we needed to send in. I didn't have any delays with my application due to forgetting to sign anything or fill out something.
I also took my CHL class at Top Gun and Ken was also my instructor, small world :mrgreen: !
Peace Officer

bdickens

Re: Thoughts on CHL Training at Top Gun Range (Houston, TX)

Post by bdickens »

Just took the class there as well. About as good as a State-Mandated class can be. I would have liked a little more in-depth on nonviolent conflict resolution, though.

I work about two blocks away from where they are and I like the range. Clean, well-lit, very professional environment.

About the brass only thing: I was told it's because they have a guy come in and sweep up all the spent brass and lead and carry it away for recycling (and pay them for it!)
Byron Dickens

Return to “New to CHL?”