TX: Sutherland Springs church 26 dead 20 injured in mass shooting

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 20

Re: TX: Sutherland Springs church 26 dead 20 injured in mass shooting

Post by anygunanywhere »

G.A. Heath wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:DPS states the shooter had three wounds, one in the torso, one in the leg, one in the head. The head wound was self inflicted. The armed citizen’s cousin said the citizen shot him twice in the neck.

Regardless of which is correct the armed citizen is a true hero who deserves all our thanks.

He really needs to keep magazines loaded and ready though.
Unfortunately if you are using AR mags (especially with steel feed lips) keeping them loaded will damage the feed lips if they are not inserted in the weapon. If you are using a magazine like a p-mag you can leave them loaded as long as you have the little "dust cover" or feed lip protector thing in place over the feed lips.

From a political view the good guy's weapon choice is both a blessing and a curse. It's a blessing because it can be pointed to as an example where an AR pattern rifle (and a so-called assault weapon) were used to interrupt an attacker. It's a curse because the opposition will use the unloaded magazine being loaded as he went to stop the shooter to claim so called 'so storage requirements' do not impede self defense and they will claim castrated capacity magazines are ok because the good guy was able to use the limited capacity caused by having to load the magazine to stop the attacker. Although I suspect they will ignore the good guy's part in the whole event.
The feed lip issue is historically only with cheap GI mags and some polymer mags exposed to temperatures over 120 degF for extended periods fully loaded. Most folks store their loaded mags in temperature controlled environments. Experienced shooters will more than likely have fully functioning mags to feed their ARs when called to drop a bad guy.

As for the antis using the story to further their agenda to push low cap mags, who cares? They are going to do so anyway and facts have never been one of their strong suits.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

carlson1
Posts in topic: 6

Re: TX: Sutherland Springs church 27 dead 30 injured in mass shooting

Post by carlson1 »

1911 Raptor wrote:You think the media doesn’t have an agenda? Take a look at this and try to keep your blood pressure in check. This was on Fox News website with the stories on the shooting.

Texas gun laws explained
http://video.foxnews.com/v/5636825981001/
Good old Fox News.

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flechero »

G.A. Heath wrote: they will claim castrated capacity magazines are ok because the good guy was able to use the limited capacity caused by having to load the magazine to stop the attacker.
Hopefully that's countered with the fact that he stopped the attack but not the attacker- who was capable of leaving the scene and shooting himself later... he could have as easily kept the attack going.

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 20

Post by anygunanywhere »

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 9

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

:banghead: :mad5

So he illegally possessed weapons, illegally purchased weapons, after being convicted of domestic violence, in which the court failed to report his conviction to NICS.

:banghead: :mad5
Last edited by TexasJohnBoy on Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Liberty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Liberty »

Pawpaw wrote:
TexasJohnBoy wrote:If the passed background check at Academy is accurate, as is the domestic violence leading up to a bad conduct discharge, then there needs to be some better reporting from the military courts into NICS.
The NICS system is horribly broken, both because of incomplete an haphazard reporting (at all levels) and errors in NICS itself.
NICS is a function of the FBI. As far as what I see and hear the FBI is horribly broken.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Pritchical

Post by Pritchical »

Just last week someone caught onto the fact that I was carrying (CC) and was on my way to church. A friend of mine, but I don't remember the event leading up. He made a smart remark about my carrying to church. Something along the lines of "What are you afraid of, the preacher freaking out?'

Then last night, apparently forgetting the previous conversation, he texted me asking if I carried in church. I said, "I carry everywhere." And he responded "Good."

Why does it take things like this happening before people realize that we, law-abiding citizens who carry daily, are not the crazy ones?

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 9

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

carlson1 wrote:
1911 Raptor wrote:You think the media doesn’t have an agenda? Take a look at this and try to keep your blood pressure in check. This was on Fox News website with the stories on the shooting.

Texas gun laws explained
http://video.foxnews.com/v/5636825981001/
Good old Fox News.
video is gone...?
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Pawpaw »

Liberty wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:
TexasJohnBoy wrote:If the passed background check at Academy is accurate, as is the domestic violence leading up to a bad conduct discharge, then there needs to be some better reporting from the military courts into NICS.
The NICS system is horribly broken, both because of incomplete an haphazard reporting (at all levels) and errors in NICS itself.
NICS is a function of the FBI. As far as what I see and hear the FBI is horribly broken.
True, but NICS also depends on correct and timely reporting, which just isn't happening.

https://www.range365.com/auditors-many- ... ds-to-nics

https://www.thetrace.org/2016/06/four-s ... ck-system/

https://www.google.com/search?q=states+ ... e&ie=UTF-8
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

SigM4
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SigM4 »

Here is a longer version of the video with the hero posted above. Sounds like this particular reporter may be a family friend, which is about the only way I would consider doing an interview in this situation. Regardless you can clearly see that he has been very affected by this event. He truely is a hero. I just hope that he will be able to overcome the weight he’s obviously carrying with the thought that he could have saved more lives. Instead realizing just how many he did in fact save.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

treeman

Post by treeman »

A couple of us discussed this today at school where we carry and frankly 9mm Shield (or any pistol) vs. AR style weapons is daunting even with training, but as someone said earlier - you work with what you're handed - maybe praying for Divine intervention. For those that say they carry only for their own protection and engage only if directly threatened, this scenerio shows how we never know the extent of the threat (who could imagine someone coming into a church to shoot everyone inside) and, in my opinion, might be better served to engage as soon as reasonable opportunity presents itself. The man across the street wouldn't seem to have been directly threatened yet he acted.

I have to wonder if we will find out at a later time that someone in that congregation was armed and didn't respond because of (1) the fact that they were one of the 1st gunned down, (2) waited, or (3) actually tried to respond but weren't effective? It had to be total chaos in there. Do we have any idea the amount of time the gunman was inside?

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 7

Post by RoyGBiv »

I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Ruark
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Ruark »

They're here. Mark Kelly, Gabrielle Gifford's husband, on CNN with Anderson Cooper: "In Texas, you can buy a gun without a background check." And then, "In Texas, Arizona and some other states, you can get out of prison, walk straight to the nearest gun show and buy an arsenal of weapons and high capacity magazines without a background check." Cooper, coward that he is, didn't blink.
-Ruark

Pritchical

Post by Pritchical »

Ruark wrote:They're here. Mark Kelly, Gabrielle Gifford's husband, on CNN with Anderson Cooper: "In Texas, you can buy a gun without a background check." And then, "In Texas, Arizona and some other states, you can get out of prison, walk straight to the nearest gun show and buy an arsenal of weapons and high capacity magazines without a background check." Cooper, coward that he is, didn't blink.
That's stupefying. Literally. People are walking around believing that nonsense? I can't tell which is stupider. Someone who believes that, or a state that would actually allow that.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”