illegal knives?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
nando
Posts in topic: 2

illegal knives?

Post by nando »

I am a CHL holder and I just purchased a knive from a buddy of mine, but it is an automatic switchblade and im not to familiar with laws that prohibit what knives are illegal to carry.I was wondering if someone could tell me if this knive is legal to carry because if it's illegal then i'll just leave it at home.Here is the web adress:
http://admiralsawesomeknives.com/boker_ ... hblade.htm

JLaw
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JLaw »

PC §46.05. PROHIBITED WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an
offense if he intentionally or knowingly possesses, manufactures,
transports, repairs, or sells:
(1) an explosive weapon;
(2) a machine gun;
(3) a short-barrel firearm;
(4) a firearm silencer;
(5) a switchblade knife;
(6) knuckles;
(7) armor-piercing ammunition;
(8) a chemical dispensing device; or
etc, etc, etc...

I think the "automatic" feature might rule it out also, but here it is as per the Texas Penal Code. Sounds like a no-no to me. Better leave your armor-piercing bullets at home, too. ;-)

JLaw

nitrogen

Post by nitrogen »

It is indeed illegal to carry.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

Dougmyers5

Post by Dougmyers5 »

knowingly possesses

Just having it is illegal even if you dont ever carry it or take it out of your house.

You better send it to me so I dispose of it for you and keep you out of trouble. :grin:
2be1-ask1
-----------------
DougMyers
NRA Endowed Life Member
CHL Issued June 2007
Member # 1567
http://www.texasopencarry.com/

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

It is illegal to possess, even in your house, as Doug said. Of course, there is an exception that allows you to own it as an antique or curio.
Steve Rothstein

Topic author
nando

Post by nando »

thanks guys now I know,i'll just keep it in my safe.

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

I oppose laws banning switchblades or any other knife. That said, the modern "almost switchblades" are just as fast to open one-handed as true automatics. There's no advantage to a switchblade any more; why run afoul of the law?

Unless you're doing civil disobedience to get the law changed, of course. I'll be your cheerleader if you do. :grin:

Fragger

Post by Fragger »

That was not your buddy! :shock:
Love your neighbor; as yourself!!

BrassMonkey

Post by BrassMonkey »

lol, most of what we carry would fit in in the list. Think about it...
BrassMonkey, that funky monkey....
===========================
Springfield TRP
Glock 22
Glock 21
Walther P22

45ACP
Posts in topic: 4

Post by 45ACP »

Question: guy at the gun show was selling "assisted opening" knives - there was no 'button' to push to open the blade, but the blade was spring loaded and could be flicked open quickly by pushing a stud on the blade.
Are these legal? I've been trying to find a good legal definition of illegal knife here in Texas, but most of the definitions I've seen have been kinda vague.
Thanks!
Last edited by 45ACP on Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection in the Home, Home Firearm Safety
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA & GOA Life Member

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

45ACP wrote:Question: guy at the gun show was selling "assisted opening" knives - there was no 'button' to push to open the blade, but the blade was spring loaded and could be flicked open quickly by pushing a stud on the blade.
Are these legal? I've been trying to find a good legal definition of illegal knife here in Texas, but most of the definitions I've seeb have been kinda vague.
Thanks!

Yes, from what I've read... the "Assisted Opening" feature of these knives is currently legal. Other features of that particular knife (blade length, double edged, etc...) might render it illegal, but the assist feature alone seems to be O.K. (for now).

Most AO's require that you move the blade about 1/4" before the spring takes over. There are no buttons or levers "on the handle" as the law restricts.

AO's appear to be as fast as truly "automatic" knifes to open, so the point of the old law is now moot IMO. Additionally, 75% (or more) of the common lock-back knives out there can be opened "by gravity" with just a little practice. Curiously, the "butterfly/balisong" knife is still on the list, although it is slower to open than most other knives.

IMO, the law is largely archaic and was in part ....intended to make illegal, certain knives that could be opened with one hand (quickly).

It might be time to revisit these restrictions.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

45ACP
Posts in topic: 4

Post by 45ACP »

flintknapper wrote:
45ACP wrote:Question: guy at the gun show was selling "assisted opening" knives - there was no 'button' to push to open the blade, but the blade was spring loaded and could be flicked open quickly by pushing a stud on the blade.
Are these legal? I've been trying to find a good legal definition of illegal knife here in Texas, but most of the definitions I've seeb have been kinda vague.
Thanks!

Yes, from what I've read... the "Assisted Opening" feature of these knives is currently legal. Other features of that particular knife (blade length, double edged, etc...) might render it illegal, but the assist feature alone seems to be O.K. (for now).

Most AO's require that you move the blade about 1/4" before the spring takes over. There are no buttons or levers "on the handle" as the law restricts.

AO's appear to be as fast as truly "automatic" knifes to open, so the point of the old law is now moot IMO. Additionally, 75% (or more) of the common lock-back knives out there can be opened "by gravity" with just a little practice. Curiously, the "butterfly/balisong" knife is still on the list, although it is slower to open than most other knives.

IMO, the law is largely archaic and was in part ....intended to make illegal, certain knives that could be opened with one hand (quickly).

I agree that the restrictions are archaic and useless (and what part of "shall not be infringed" can't they get?) and should be repealed.

I just don't have any interest in testing the law or going to prison/losing my CCW/losing my Instructor & RSO certs over a $15 knife. Granted, they are cool little knives, ~4" parked tanto blade, woodland camo polymer grips, stainless belt clip, and the AO mechanism is really fast.

I just moved back to Texas at the beginning of the year, and I've been busy with other life priorities, so I still have a lot to learn about current Texas law.

Thanks for the info! The Austin Gun show is this weekend, and if the guy is there with more of those knives I might have to buy a few for gifts (as long as I'm sure they really are legal, of course!)
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection in the Home, Home Firearm Safety
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA & GOA Life Member

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

45ACP wrote:
flintknapper wrote:
Thanks!

I agree that the restrictions are archaic and useless (and what part of "shall not be infringed" can't they get?) and should be repealed.

I just don't have any interest in testing the law or going to prison/losing my CCW/losing my Instructor & RSO certs over a $15 knife. Granted, they are cool little knives, ~4" parked tanto blade, woodland camo polymer grips, stainless belt clip, and the AO mechanism is really fast.

I just moved back to Texas at the beginning of the year, and I've been busy with other life priorities, so I still have a lot to learn about current Texas law.

Thanks for the info! The Austin Gun show is this weekend, and if the guy is there with more of those knives I might have to buy a few for gifts (as long as I'm sure they really are legal, of course!)

They are.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

mcub

Post by mcub »

I've seen some construction workers open those little folding utility knives (Box cutters) with one hand, so fast it’s like magic. I think the illegal knife list has become pointless.

WarHawk-AVG

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

Those speed knives with the tooth on the back of the blade are NOT assisted opening and are legal to own

My CHL instructor had one and could pull the knife out of his pocked and click..it would be open and ready for deployment about as fast as he could take it out

It was crazy fast....like he pulled his hand out of his pocket with a knife already there!
A sheepdog says "I will lead the way. I will set the highest standards. ...Your mission is to man the ramparts in this dark and desperate hour with honor and courage." - Lt. Col. Grossman
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ - Edmond Burke

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”