MOAB

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 3

Re: MOAB

Post by mrvmax »

crazy2medic wrote:FAE Device, Fuel Air Explosion, the overpressure from these are horrendous, what they don't crush they incinerate!
Yep, dual igniters to initiate a cloud of vaporized ethylene oxide.

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Bitter Clinger »

JRG wrote:Hmmm.........using a 2.5 million dollar bomb to kill 36 ISIS terrorists? That's $70,000 per terrorist.

Joe
Ignoring the fact that it was more like close to 100 jihadis (and I hope the plane was piloted by a woman!), our ground pounders did not have to go all CQB and try to clear a dangerously booby trapped cave complex. And an ISIS CAC along with tons of materiel were destroyed, along with the complex itself.

Where were your high level math skills and biting sarcasm when Barrack Hussein Obama sent $150 Billion dollars of US tax money to the terrorist sponsoring mullahs in Iran?

Crickets? :waiting:
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Topic author
parabelum
Posts in topic: 6

Post by parabelum »

The way I see it, if ordnance such as this saves one American life that otherwise would have been lost in cqb within those stinking tunnels and caves, then it's money well spent.

Better then giving it to "Planned Parenthood" etc.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Abraham »

If we're going to wring our hands at the expense of dropping bombs, let's look at the billion upon billions supporting the welfare state for the completely undeserving.

What?

Ah, yes, silence...

rotor
Posts in topic: 1

Post by rotor »

Now reporting over 100 killed but the number killed is not the main issue if it means we destroyed their tunnels and military stash from which they killed our guys. $2 million is not a lot if it saves one American life. If we just want to kill I guess we could deploy the neutron bomb if it really exists. That would leave tunnels intact though.

Topic author
parabelum
Posts in topic: 6

Post by parabelum »

Do they include vaporized jihadis in the death count? :shock:

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Great question, but I think, it would be terribly difficult to count what ain't there...

mojo84
Posts in topic: 5

Post by mojo84 »

During previous administrations it was referred to as a "bunker buster". Now it is being referred to as the "mother of all bombs" (MOAB). Seems like the sensationalism is being ratcheted up some.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Plus, calling it "the mother of..." reminds me of ole Saddam Hussein with his similar use of "the mother of" descriptor.

Don't like it, nope, don't like it at all...

Bunker Buster works for me and doesn't sound goofy.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

mojo84 wrote:During previous administrations it was referred to as a "bunker buster". Now it is being referred to as the "mother of all bombs" (MOAB). Seems like the sensationalism is being ratcheted up some.
Not the same bomb, but same family of bombs. This one is a Massive Ordinance Air Blast (MOAB) and detonates above the ground. The force caves in tunnels and caves below ground.

Bunker Busters, or MOP's (Massive Ordinance Penetrator's) actually penetrate the ground and go deep below the surface before detonating. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massive_O ... Penetrator
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

G26ster
Posts in topic: 3

Post by G26ster »

The term "Mother of all Bombs" (MOAB) comes from the official name GBU-43/B "Massive Ordnance Air Blast (MOAB)." So maybe the term for such previous devices like the "BLU-82 "Daisy Cutter" used in Viet Nam would be a more acceptable term to some. Terms such as these have been around forever. The P-51 Mustang was the "Cadillac of the Skies," the A-10 Thunderbolt is known as the "Warthog," the B-52 is "BUFF," the AH-1 is known as the "Snake." So what.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Keith B wrote:
mojo84 wrote:During previous administrations it was referred to as a "bunker buster". Now it is being referred to as the "mother of all bombs" (MOAB). Seems like the sensationalism is being ratcheted up some.
Not the same bomb, but same family of bombs. This one is a Massive Ordinance Air Blast (MOAB) and detonates above the ground. The force caves in tunnels and caves below ground.

Bunker Busters, or MOP's (Massive Ordinance Penetrator's) actually penetrate the ground and go deep below the surface before detonating. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massive_O ... Penetrator
Whether it is technically a MOAB or MOP, they both can be used for similar purpose which is bunker busting. Regardless, my point is the sensationalism of calling it the "mother of all bombs" is thick. Especially since the MOP is bigger. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massive ... Penetrator
G26ster, that's what.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

bigtek
Banned

Post by bigtek »

Abraham wrote:Plus, calling it "the mother of..." reminds me of ole Saddam Hussein with his similar use of "the mother of" descriptor.
Hint: the GBU-43/B MOAB was developed in 2003.
Deck the halls with nitroglycerin
Fa la la la la la la la la!
Strike a match and see who's missin'
Fa la la la la la la la la!

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

I'm sure I've heard the term MOAB used back to the early 2000's...so it's not a Trump thing. Just another military nickname from smart aleck troops.

ETA: 2003 no doubt :lol:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/15/worl ... .html?_r=0

Former President Hamid Karzai objects to weapons testing on his countrymen.

How did this guy end up with our support? Do I blame Obama?

Return to “Off-Topic”