How long for DPS to process your CHL

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

How long did it take for DPS to process your new or renewal CHL?

New - 60 days or less
48%
New - 61 to 70 days
15%
New - 71 to 80 days
15%
Renewal - 45 days or less
5%
Renewal - 46 to 60 days
5%
Renewal - 61 to 70 days
3%
Additional Processing Time - Timely issued
4%
Additional Processing Time - Not timely issued
6%

Total votes: 340

ben1
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ben1 »

Received application 21 Oct 2005 at DPS.

10 Nov 2005, mailed additional documents (Active Duty)

Licensed mailed 6 Dec 2005.

47 days total from Issue and mailed off date.

Waiting to recveive, possible tomorrow.

51 total days turn around at the most.

Awesome work in Austin!!!!!!!!

UNBLVR
Posts in topic: 3

Post by UNBLVR »

I received my CHL in the mail today. 47 days total including the 5 days in "transit".

Joe
ONE DAY YOU MAY FIND ME DEAD...LAYING IN A DITCH.
BUT YOU CAN BET I'LL BE LYING IN A PILE OF BRASS.

ea40ss
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ea40ss »

65 days mailbox to mailbox.... no problems with fingerprints, photos, affidavids, etc. Renewal

Mailed packet on 10/11/2005, received return receipt on 10/17/2005 with no date stamp in the date received spot.

Eric

brewer90
Posts in topic: 4

Post by brewer90 »

I'm at T+66 today and had nothing returned. I emailed them today for a status and here is their reply.

We did receive your application, but at this time it is still going through its regular processing. However, due to an increase in application submissions, the CHL staff is slightly behind schedule, but is making every effort to reduce the backlog. Thank you for your continued patience.

Kalrog
Posts in topic: 22

Post by Kalrog »

Brewer90 - call them. It took my application nearly twice the legally allowed time frame and I am convinced it only got done when it did because I called and asked about it. They then moved it to the top of the pile and did it right away (they said so - not just my inference).

Remember, the law doesn't allow for them to be slightly behind. Still, be courteous.

bauerdj
Posts in topic: 6

CHL timeframe

Post by bauerdj »

I am at receipt + 60 days today and have not received anything. The website still says "processing application". If nothing changes I will call them tomorrow operating under the presumption that the 'squeaky wheel gets the grease" I have the feeling that since I lived in NY state for most of the preceeding five years they may still be waiting on the reply from NY state. Considering the anti gun bias there, I suspect replys to a backround check request may not be at the top of their priority list and they will take there own sweet time to reply. I am not sure how this effects the 60 day maximum processing time.

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 7

Re: CHL timeframe

Post by stevie_d_64 »

bauerdj wrote:I am at receipt + 60 days today and have not received anything. The website still says "processing application". If nothing changes I will call them tomorrow operating under the presumption that the 'squeaky wheel gets the grease" I have the feeling that since I lived in NY state for most of the preceeding five years they may still be waiting on the reply from NY state. Considering the anti gun bias there, I suspect replys to a backround check request may not be at the top of their priority list and they will take there own sweet time to reply. I am not sure how this effects the 60 day maximum processing time.
This is an interesting quandry to be in...I can undestand the frustration you have in this regard...

And I am not sure how the state would even begin to address this issue...If another state doesn't give a reasonable or timely response to an investigative query like this, even from a credible state agency...How do you deliver good and reasonable service to your new citizen, if that citizens former state drags its heals???
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KBCraig »

Maybe this needs to be part of the '07 legislative agenda: DPS shall issue a license within 60 days of receipt of a properly completed application package, and if subsequent review reveals disqualifying information, the license will be revoked and the licensee must return the license.

Kevin

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

KBCraig wrote:Maybe this needs to be part of the '07 legislative agenda: DPS shall issue a license within 60 days of receipt of a properly completed application package, and if subsequent review reveals disqualifying information, the license will be revoked and the licensee must return the license.
In this ideal world there would be no criminals - and no need for guns... :roll:
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

Remember it is 60 businessdays to issue. That does not include weekends and holidays. ;)
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

brewer90

Post by brewer90 »

I haven't received the business days excuse from them yet. I actually did call on day 60 to check on the status and they said they were waiting on a response from some group but they wouldn't tell me who. I've lived in the same house for 8 years, was in the military 12 years before that and have never been arrested. I thought mine would be an easy approval but I guess not. I was hoping to have it before I travel out of state for Christmas but it doesn't look like that is going to happen. Hopefully Santa will bring me my CHL this week.

John
Posts in topic: 1

Post by John »

brewer90 wrote:I've lived in the same house for 8 years, was in the military 12 years before that and have never been arrested. I thought mine would be an easy approval but I guess not.
I wonder if having someone with the same name and a questionable background can cause problems or delays.

One of the reasons I initially got a CHL was that every time I went to purchase a firearm, I was delayed by the instant background check, NCIS ?, or whatever it is called. Anyway, my initial application, 4 years ago, took about 5 months. That included having to re-submit fingerprints.

Also, all of the post 911 applicants are renewal at this time, so that might cause a surge in renewals.
JohnC

bauerdj

CHL Time

Post by bauerdj »

Well, I checked back this evening and the magic words were there: "Application completed - License issued or Certificate active" Exactly 60 days from the date they received it as per the return receipt. This makes me wonder if they may have issued it on day sixty even without having received an answer from NY. By the way I had lived in the NYC metropolitan area not upstate NY which us much more gun friendly.

Now comes the mailbox watching - wonder if it will come before Christmas? That would be a nice present. Wonder how long has it has averaged from time the website shows issue until receipt?

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 7

Post by stevie_d_64 »

If they get it in the mail today or tomorrow...If thats the case...

Thursday or Friday...

I hope it gets to you soon...

Post and let us know when it gets there...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

the real deal
Posts in topic: 3

Post by the real deal »

Talked to one of the girls down there yesturday. She indicated they are 2 - 2.5 weeks behind in just logging in applications received. I called because I sent the app in 2+ weeks ago, and the site still says "Packet mailed to applicant".

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”