Today in Trump's 1st term as President

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 51

Re: Today in Trump's new term as President

Post by Skiprr »

AndyC wrote:
Skiprr wrote:The SPR affects (affected) over 6,000 miles of streams and over 52,000 acres of forested area. It requires companies to restore streams, to replant native trees, to return mined areas to conditions as they were before mining took place, and to maintain a buffer zone that blocks coal mining within 100 feet of any stream.
Ok, but.... I'm curious, why is that a "bad thing"?
I've got no dog in this hunt. I only continued to do some research this morning when it became clear that most media sources were flat-out misrepresenting how the overturn of the Stream Protection Rule came about, implying if not outright saying that POTUS was, unilaterally, repealing an environmental protection law that had already been on the books and by which mining companies already had to operate.

But it wasn't striking down a standing regulation. Congress struck down a new one that Obama approved which had only been in place for 11 days. Evidently the Department of the Interior’s own reports already showed that coal mining offsite impacts are minimal, and that mines are being operated in accordance with current federal and state regulations. So the SPR was a "global warming" type of thing--"Let's put new regulations in place now because some streams or land might be affected in the future"--a new bureaucratic regulation that addressed no identified problem, but was going to cost jobs and money.

Best I can tell from some quick notes I made, these were some factors Republicans and a number of Dems were railing over and why they wanted the SPR to be shot down....

No. Wait. I'm just gonna quote some stuff. My word-count about coal mining is already expended for the decade :mrgreen: but I'll underline parts for emphasis:
The Daily Caller, February 16 wrote:The president said in a previous statement the $1.2 billion stream rule “duplicates existing protections in the Clean Water Act and is unnecessary given the other Federal and State regulations already in place.”

Because of the war on coal waged by the Obama administration, over 240 coal fired plants have closed and 83,000 people have lost their jobs,” West Virginia Rep. David McKinley said in a statement. “Fortunately, we finally have a partner in the White House who understands just how damaging these rules can be.”

Republicans argue it’s another duplicative, unnecessary rule form the Bureau of Land Management (BLM). Democrats and environmentalists say it’s needed to tackle global warming and increase revenues from drilling on federal lands.

“The contortions BLM went through to say they had the legal authority is almost embarrassing,” Utah Republican Rep. Rob Bishop said in a statement on the CRA’s passing.
Americans for Tax Reform, Grover G. Norquist, January 30, 2017 wrote:The OSM’s Stream Protection Rule is an egregious and unlawful example of federal regulatory overreach that infringes on the authority of state regulatory bodies, is wholly unnecessary, and will impact the livelihood of millions of Americans.

The Surface Mining Control and Reclamation Act instructs that States are to be the primary regulators of coal mining. In drafting the Stream Protection Rule, OSM failed to comply with these instructions, instead moving forward without real or meaningful involvement from the public or the relevant state agencies that are tasked with regulating 97 percent of the coal mines in the U.S.

The Department of Interior’s own reports show that essentially all coal mines have no off-site impacts, that lands are being restored successfully, and mines are being operated safely and in accordance with existing state and federal regulations. The Stream Protection Rule is simply a regulation in search of a problem.

It is also the case the OSM rule will have far reaching impacts on the American economy. The rule threatens one-third of the nation’s coal mining work force and would remove half or more of total U.S. coal reserves from future production. The rule would also drive up electricity costs for American consumers and could reduce state and federal tax revenue by over $6 billion annually.
Competitive Enterprise Institute, January 31, 2017 wrote:This rule is supposed to replace a rule promulgated by the George W. Bush administration. At the outset of President Obama’s presidency, the Interior Department simply revoked the Bush rule, but a federal court blocked this action because it bypassed procedural safeguards. As a result, the Obama administration undertook a seven-year rulemaking, and the final stream buffer zone rule was issued during Obama’s lame duck session.

This timing raises an obvious question: If the Bush rule was so inadequate to protect the environment, then why did the administration spend so much time on the replacement rule? Further, the rulemaking itself was characterized by an unacceptable absence of transparency.

After reports regarding job losses connected to the rule made the news, the House Natural Resources Committee was repeatedly rebuffed in its efforts to oversee the rulemaking. The Interior Department even ignored subpoenas issued by the committee. Eight of ten states withdrew from agreements to cooperate on the rule because the Interior Department would not share key information, and the Interior Department subsequently ignored a letter from 19 states requesting that it re-engage with them on the rule.

By themselves, these procedural abuses would be sufficient grounds for lawmakers to prevent the Stream Buffer Zone rule from taking effect. But the rule itself is also bad policy. The rule would have a profound impact on coal miners and threaten one-third of the nation’s coal mining workforce.

The entire point of the Surface Mining Control and Reclamation Act is to sanction surface mining. But Obama’s rule would effectively preclude mining in much of the steep terrain of Appalachia—hitting this region’s economy the hardest. This is contrary to the law’s fundamental purpose.
White House Press Release, February 16 wrote:Since 2009, the coal industry has declined, leaving workers and communities without a lifeline. Over 36,000 jobs have been lost without any relief in sight. From 2009 to 2015, American coal production has declined by over 177,000,000 tons, and over 600 coal mines have closed. H.J.Res. 38 will give coal country relief from these harmful regulations created under the Obama Administration.
U.S. Representative Morgan Griffith wrote:According to the National Mining Association, as many as 78,000 coal mining jobs would have been lost if SPR was implemented, on top of thousands of jobs already lost during the Obama Administration. If jobs in fields related to coal mining are included, up to 281,000 people could have been put out of work, with an estimated 190,000 lost jobs in the Appalachian region alone.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 1539

Post by philip964 »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... e-One.html

Trump gives a rally speech in Florida. News media seems to be upset Trump doesn't hold them in high regard.

Big news today seems to be the cost to the taxpayers to support security for the Trump family life style.

It was never news that Obama and Michele couldn't manage to take the same plane to Hawaii for vacation.

In this day in my life I was flipping channels and went to HBO just as they were showing Lena Dunham naked. Won't be able to unsee that.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/children-facin ... de-1607330

Middle schooler throws 2x4 at Trump motorcade.

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 51

Post by Skiprr »

philip964 wrote:In this day in my life I was flipping channels and went to HBO just as....
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-new ... ht-w465311

Another major Trump accomplishment. Unfortunately not soon enough for my experience.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 213

Post by bblhd672 »

Today marks one month into President Trump's term in office.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

LucasMcCain
Posts in topic: 14

Post by LucasMcCain »

bblhd672 wrote:Today marks one month into President Trump's term in office.
Thanks for the perspective. Can't believe how much has been accomplished in such a short period of time. We need a smiley with a MAGA hat or something. :thumbs2: :patriot:
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

Let's go Brandon.

G26ster
Posts in topic: 42

Post by G26ster »

LucasMcCain wrote:We need a smiley with a MAGA hat or something. :thumbs2: :patriot:

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 89

Post by Flightmare »

Trump selects Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster as national security adviser.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/02 ... viser.html
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

stroo
Posts in topic: 5

Post by stroo »

Great Choice!

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/02/20/w ... l&referer=

Trump in his speech on Saturday knocked Sweden and their immigration policies.

Scant evidence includes a video you can find on YouTube where a 60 minutes film crew is attacked for going into on of Sweden's no go zones.

I have just followed on Facebook a police inspector in Sweden, who tells it like it is about crime and immigrants in Sweden. It's not good. There was recently a gang rape by immigrants that was " live "on Facebook.

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

I saw an article about him. He got a ton of hate for just laying out basic numbers on what he faces every day. And yeah, it was pretty grim stuff.

Let's go Brandon.

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 91

Post by TreyHouston »

The whole country of Sweden is in denial
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Return to “Off-Topic”