HB 560 - Holy Grail?

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

imkopaka
Posts in topic: 5

Re: HB 560 - Holy Grail?

Post by imkopaka »

I wrote Tom Craddick today and said:

Mr. Craddick, I would like to encourage you to support Texas House Bill 560 (Springer). This is being hailed as the most important self-defense bill in 10 years, and would greatly expand the carry authority of individuals licensed to carry a handgun in the State of Texas. I spent a little over four years in the Marines and am currently on my fourth year serving the State as a correctional officer. I lawfully carry everywhere I am legally allowed, but sadly there are simply too many off-limits areas where I cannot adequately protect myself from potential threats - threats which are elevated given my roles in the military and corrections. There are many people who dislike me. Please serve me, as I have served this nation and the people of Texas, by removing as many unconstitutional restrictions on lawful carry as possible. HB 560 is a great bill that would remove the unjustified infringements on my Second Amendment rights, while still respecting private property rights and being sensitive to existing federal law and the needs of local law enforcement. I respectfully ask that you support it by all possible means - including sponsorship!

We'll see what he says.
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

chuck j
Posts in topic: 2

Post by chuck j »

Reciprocity in my thoughts .
Too risky . Studying the concealed carry law for a long trip is complicated with too many risks . Rather than suffering prosecution in other states I simply do not carry , reducing my travel . Would love to take my daughter to national parks and historical sites but not worth the risk . I'll stay in Texas . Sad but true .

Liberty
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Liberty »

Reciprocity isn't to big a deal for us Texans. I don't admit to knowing all the rules in all the states, but it's not too hard to play it safe. I don't carry into bars or restaurants that serve alcohol. I know that it's perfectly legal to carry concealed in my car anywhere that recognizes my Texas CHL. That I can carry in the National parks as I hike and walk. I obey all the No Guns signs when I see them if I am not sure of the validity.

If I am going to stay in a particular state for a while it isn't too hard to look up the state and check out the idiosyncracies, but its not that hard to pack and stay out of trouble if you uses a little common sense.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

chuck j
Posts in topic: 2

Post by chuck j »

Liberty wrote:Reciprocity isn't to big a deal for us Texans. I don't admit to knowing all the rules in all the states, but it's not too hard to play it safe. I don't carry into bars or restaurants that serve alcohol. I know that it's perfectly legal to carry concealed in my car anywhere that recognizes my Texas CHL. That I can carry in the National parks as I hike and walk. I obey all the No Guns signs when I see them if I am not sure of the validity.

If I am going to stay in a particular state for a while it isn't too hard to look up the state and check out the idiosyncracies, but its not that hard to pack and stay out of trouble if you uses a little common sense.
It's not exactly that simple ........legally speaking .

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

chuck j wrote:
Liberty wrote:Reciprocity isn't to big a deal for us Texans. I don't admit to knowing all the rules in all the states, but it's not too hard to play it safe. I don't carry into bars or restaurants that serve alcohol. I know that it's perfectly legal to carry concealed in my car anywhere that recognizes my Texas CHL. That I can carry in the National parks as I hike and walk. I obey all the No Guns signs when I see them if I am not sure of the validity.

It's not exactly that simple ........legally speaking .
Just making sure we're all on the same topic here. HB 560 doesn't deal with interstate reciprocity at all. It's about removing certain prohibited places within Texas where a CHL/LTC holder currently cannot carry.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 8

Post by ScottDLS »

:iagree:

Right that would be TEXAS STATE HOUSE bill 560.... :rules: No relationship to National Reciprocity which would be taken up by US Congress.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

ralewis
Posts in topic: 7

Post by ralewis »

chuck j wrote:Reciprocity in my thoughts .
Too risky . Studying the concealed carry law for a long trip is complicated with too many risks . Rather than suffering prosecution in other states I simply do not carry , reducing my travel . Would love to take my daughter to national parks and historical sites but not worth the risk . I'll stay in Texas . Sad but true .
I drive from TX to PA once a year to spend about a month there. The ridiculous stuff I've done to avoid 11miles of Maryland are worthy of a Seinfeld episode. I would like National Reciprocity-hopefully MD would be within scope since they are a 'may' issue-even if it only allowed me to carry in the car legally (without locking it up).

Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Papa_Tiger »

ralewis wrote:
I drive from TX to PA once a year to spend about a month there. The ridiculous stuff I've done to avoid 11miles of Maryland are worthy of a Seinfeld episode. I would like National Reciprocity-hopefully MD would be within scope since they are a 'may' issue-even if it only allowed me to carry in the car legally (without locking it up).
Again, HB560 refers to Texas House Bill 560 which has nothing to do with national reciprocity.

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 14

Post by TreyHouston »

Papa_Tiger wrote:
ralewis wrote:
Again, HB560 refers to Texas House Bill 560 which has nothing to do with national reciprocity.

this is just getting funny!!!! :smilelol5: "rlol" "rlol"
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 14

Post by TreyHouston »

So, for us noobs. Around when will we be hearing if this thing as any steam? Feb, march, april, during Trumps first term or second? :waiting:
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

imkopaka

Post by imkopaka »

TreyHouston wrote:So, for us noobs. Around when will we be hearing if this thing as any steam? Feb, march, april, during Trumps first term or second? :waiting:
85th Texas legislative session commenced on Jan 10th and has a maximum length of 140 days. We will know for sure what will happen (if anything) with this bill by May 30th.
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 6

Post by TexasCajun »

Well so far, nothing is happening with this great bill. No one has signed on as a co-author or as a sponsor and it hasn't even been assigned to committee yet. I'm guessing that the legislature is taking a break from gun bills this session.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

mojo84
Posts in topic: 11

Post by mojo84 »

TexasCajun wrote:Well so far, nothing is happening with this great bill. No one has signed on as a co-author or as a sponsor and it hasn't even been assigned to committee yet. I'm guessing that the legislature is taking a break from gun bills this session.
Have the committee's chairs been assigned in the house? Saw the other day Straus and his dem buddies are slow rolling things this session. I also had heard prior to the session there wasn't much interest in significant gun friendly legislation this session.

I'm not real optimistic much is going to be done to restore and advance gun rights this session. I also see the senate, governor and It. Governor primarily pushing other issues.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Lambda Force
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Lambda Force »

Don't let any of them get away with lying about running out of time. Especially the ones who voted for Straus to be Speaker.

Whatever happens this session, Remember in November.
Tyranny is identified by what is legal for government employees but illegal for the citizenry.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 11

Post by mojo84 »

Lambda Force wrote:Don't let any of them get away with lying about running out of time. Especially the ones who voted for Straus to be Speaker.

Whatever happens this session, Remember in November.
They all voted for Straus to be speaker. I agree with your comment about running out of time. The problem is, it's Straus and the dems that are delaying things.

They'll get done what they want.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”