Today in Trump's 1st term as President

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

LucasMcCain
Posts in topic: 14

Re: Today in Trump's new term as President

Post by LucasMcCain »

dale blanker wrote:The president's argument that the travel ban is intended to save lives seems compelling. I'll bet the order will be mostly restored [maybe not the part about minority religions].
You'll have to remind me what part of the travel ban had to do with minority religions and not with people from hotbeds of terrorism as identified by the Obama administration. I admit I haven't followed the issue closely, but I don't remember the ban targeting Muslims, just people from a small number of the many primarily Muslim countries, not even including the largest of them, Indonesia.

Skiprr, thanks for the incredible wall of text about this issue. That was amazing. Let me know if I'm getting off topic here. I just keep hearing "Muslim Ban" from the left, so I really am curious to know if there is any validity to that claim at all in the language of the actual Executive Order signed by your Commander in Chief and mine, President Donald Trump.

EDIT: Found the text of the EO. Man, that is a dry read. I now see what Dale is talking about with minority religions. Sorry for my understandable misunderstanding. However, I fully support that part of the order. We should be prioritizing Christians experiencing religious persecution.
Last edited by LucasMcCain on Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

dhoobler
Posts in topic: 30

Post by dhoobler »

Senate confirms DeVos as secretary of education

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/b ... ion-234691
Revolver - An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Life Member

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 1539

Post by philip964 »

https://www.google.com/amp/www.conserva ... -2017/amp/

Monday was sort of a light day for Trump.

The press is starting to get restless that the economy hasn't markedly improved in his first two weeks in office.

Dow hit a new record.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 213

Post by bblhd672 »

philip964 wrote:https://www.google.com/amp/www.conserva ... -2017/amp/

Monday was sort of a light day for Trump.

The press is starting to get restless that the economy hasn't markedly improved in his first two weeks in office.

Dow hit a new record.
Short attention span people the press are.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Interesting take on Trump's "chaotic" first days:
http://blog.dilbert.com/post/1566283570 ... ment-wrong
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

dhoobler wrote:Senate confirms DeVos as secretary of education

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/b ... ion-234691
:woohoo Get to draining the Education swamp!

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 51

Post by Skiprr »

bblhd672 wrote:Interesting take on Trump's "chaotic" first days:
I've always loved me some Dilbert. Given the Celebrity Apprentice bit, I particularly enjoyed this excerpt:
The smartest person I know told me that the secret to business success does NOT necessarily involve hiring the right people. We just think it does. The real secret to success is firing the people that you discover to be the wrong fit until eventually you END UP with the right people. No one is psychic enough to do hiring right every time. Job applicants are good at misrepresenting themselves. But a good leader knows which employees to fire and does it quickly and humanely.

Trump fires well. We saw him fire campaign managers as needed to restaff for each phase of his campaign. Lewandowski was perfect for the scrappy first months. Manafort was the right campaign manager to get Trump through the nomination process. And Conway was the right pick as his closer.

I’m not suggesting that everything Trump does is the right move. Quite the opposite. I’m suggesting that he has chosen an entrepreneurial management style that is guaranteed to create more small-scale unforced errors than you might see from a boring Fortune 500 management style. If Trump quickly fixes his unforced errors, you’re seeing a style done right, not wrong.
BTW, regarding the DeVos confirmation, I haven't researched it but can't remember offhand the last time the Vice President cast the deciding Senate vote to break a tie for a cabinet nominee.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 1539

Post by philip964 »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/tru ... 7a6ec58f98

Trump makes false statement to Sherrif's group, but gets WP to admit murder rate is the lowest ever.

And to think with the most guns we have ever had in circulation, especially after the best gun salesman ever retires.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 106

Post by Pawpaw »

Skiprr wrote:BTW, regarding the DeVos confirmation, I haven't researched it but can't remember offhand the last time the Vice President cast the deciding Senate vote to break a tie for a cabinet nominee.
Never. This was a historic first.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 91

Post by TreyHouston »

Pawpaw wrote:
Skiprr wrote:BTW, regarding the DeVos confirmation, I haven't researched it but can't remember offhand the last time the Vice President cast the deciding Senate vote to break a tie for a cabinet nominee.
Yes. Historically the largest temper tantrum by the democrats EVER
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 51

Post by Skiprr »

Pawpaw wrote:
Thanks for confirming. Still hadn't had time to Google it.
TreyHouston wrote:Yes. Historically the largest temper tantrum by the democrats EVER
Chuck Schumer, February 6, 2017 wrote: Ms. DeVos is the least qualified candidate in this historically unqualified cabinet.
Prediction: by June, Chuck is going to have developed the mother of all stress ulcers.

Oh, and the Dow closed above 20,000 today for the sixth time since Donald Trump took office. How does the post-election stock market's performance look when compared to President Obama's last year in office?

Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

jmra
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmra »

Pawpaw wrote:
It is a historic first, but for a very good reason. Until the Dems changed the rules a cabinet conformation required 60 votes. Obviously with a 60 vote requirement it would be impossible for there to be a occasion for the VP to cast the deciding vote.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

dhoobler
Posts in topic: 30

Post by dhoobler »

Democrats are worried about DeVos, not because they are afraid she will fail, but rather, that she will succeed.

DeVos favors shool choice. Blacks do too. The want the same thing you and I want, economic prosperity and a future for their children. The current state of inner city schools, to which Blacks are condemned offer them no future.

If republicans give them school choice, they might stop block voting for democrats. If Trump can pull in 20 percent of the Black vote in 2020, he could post a Reagan like win.
Revolver - An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Life Member

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 4

Post by chasfm11 »

Staying with the DeVos theme, there may be more to her opposition than just education policy. They say that satire can sometimes go where normal conversation does not. We have to remember that there are a lot of frustrated anti-gun forces out there who are really feeling more stifled than others.

http://www.breakingburgh.com/grizzly-be ... tsy-devos/
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

LucasMcCain
Posts in topic: 14

Post by LucasMcCain »

bblhd672 wrote:Interesting take on Trump's "chaotic" first days:
Thanks so much for posting this here. It was an excellent read. I even printed it off of a liberal but still relatively open minded coworker. She was saying just yesterday that she doesn't think President Trump should be doing so much so quickly. I think the article addresses this concern well. Much appreciated. :tiphat:
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

Return to “Off-Topic”