If you can't shoot it, don't show it!

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Kyle Brown
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Kyle Brown »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Kyle:
I think I understand your contention about §9.04. As I read your post, it is your position that §9.04 will allow you to pull a gun on someone, even if they don’t pose an immediate threat of death or seriously bodily injury, so long as you just want to scare them; you can’t shoot them.

The problem with this argument is that TPC §9.04 doesn’t trump the express language in TPC §46.035(a) that states a CHL can show his pistol only if he would be justified in using deadly force, not merely threatening deadly force. TPC §9.04 deals only with threats.

I agree that without having the briefs, we don’t know precisely how McDermott’s argument regarding TPC§9.04 was presented to the appellate court. However, we know it was McDermott’s third point of error and that it was rejected by the Court. Here is the Court’s language:
In his third issue, appellant argues the trial court erred in refusing his requested instruction on threats as justifiable force. The instruction sought by appellant provides: The threat of force is justified when the use of force is justified by this chapter. For purposes of this section, a threat to cause death or serious bodily injury by the production of a weapon or otherwise, as long as the actor's purpose is limited to creating an apprehension that he will use deadly force if necessary, does not constitute the use of deadly force. Tex. Pen. Code Ann. § 9.04 (Vernon 2003).

This provision does not apply to appellant's case. Under the specific statute under which appellant was convicted, appellant was justified in displaying his weapon only if he were justified in using deadly force. See Tex. Pen. Code Ann. § 43.065(b) (Vernon 2003). Whether appellant actually used deadly force is immaterial. We resolve the third issue against appellant.
Edited to delete the hypothetical scenario. It was too general and left too many variables unaddressed. (Yeah I know; more lawyer-speak.)

Regards,
Chas.
I would just add that it is equally important to know if or how TPC §9.31 was argued in MCDERMOTT because it my contention that §9.04 will not stand alone, it must be supported by §9.31. The actor in §9.04 MUST be justified in the use of force.

It seems as if MCDERMOTT's entire self defense argument was rejected at trial. If that is true, and given the facts as we know them in MCDERMOTT, we cannot be certain that a valid self defense argument would not "trump" the requirement to conceal in TPC §46.035.

oilman
Posts in topic: 3

Post by oilman »

I would like to thank you guys for taking the time for this analysis. I have also wondered in the past whether the penal code allowed me to draw my gun to threaten but not use deadly force when faced with threatened force (not deadly force).

Charles thanks making the clarification of the case law. Very useful information

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 6

Post by txinvestigator »

I got in on this late, and I did not read every post, so forgive me if I repeat something.

I disagree that the law ONLY allows CHL holders to display their weapon if they would be justified in using deadly force. That is but ONE justification.

9.04 is clear, and from a former LEO's perspective I can tell you this. AS a cop I drew my weapon MANY people I was not justified in using deadly force against at the time. My doing so was not deadly force. It was force, and it was used to efffect an arrest.

I can think of several scenarios where I might draw my weapon and point it at a person, or simply produce the weapon towards someone who I was not justified in shooting at the time.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

txinvestigator wrote:I got in on this late, and I did not read every post, so forgive me if I repeat something.

I disagree that the law ONLY allows CHL holders to display their weapon if they would be justified in using deadly force. That is but ONE justification.

9.04 is clear, and from a former LEO's perspective I can tell you this. AS a cop I drew my weapon MANY people I was not justified in using deadly force against at the time. My doing so was not deadly force. It was force, and it was used to effect an arrest.

I can think of several scenarios where I might draw my weapon and point it at a person, or simply produce the weapon towards someone who I was not justified in shooting at the time.
We aren't talking about LEO's as they are not subject to TPC 46.035(a), only CHL’s.

TPC 46.035(a) makes it illegal for a CHL to intentionally fail to conceal his handgun. The only exception to this is found in TPC 46.035(h) which states:

(h) It is a defense to prosecution under Subsection (a) that the actor, at the time of the commission of the offense, displayed the handgun under circumstances in which the actor would have been justified in the use of deadly force under Chapter 9.

The McDermott case quoted in full held precisely this, in spite of the defendant's attempt to rely upon TPC 9.04.

Also, as to LEO's using the threat of deadly force to effect an arrest, this authority comes not from TPC 9.04 alone, but from TPC 9.51 which states in part:
SUBCHAPTER E. LAW ENFORCEMENT

§ 9.51. ARREST AND SEARCH. (a) A peace officer, or a
person acting in a peace officer's presence and at his direction, is
justified in using force against another when and to the degree the
actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to
make or assist in making an arrest or search, or to prevent or
assist in preventing escape after arrest, if:
(1) the actor reasonably believes the arrest or search
is lawful or, if the arrest or search is made under a warrant, he
reasonably believes the warrant is valid; and
(2) before using force, the actor manifests his
purpose to arrest or search and identifies himself as a peace
officer or as one acting at a peace officer's direction, unless he
reasonably believes his purpose and identity are already known by
or cannot reasonably be made known to the person to be arrested.
9.51 has many other provisions, but those quoted above are the authority for a LEO to use or threaten deadly force to make an arrest, or prevent an escape.

Regards,
Chas.
Last edited by Charles L. Cotton on Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KBCraig »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:TPC 46.035(a) makes it illegal for a CHL to intentionally fail to conceal his handgun. The only exception to this is found in TPC 46.035(h) which states:

(h) It is a defense to prosecution under Subsection (a) that the actor, at the time of the commission of the offense, displayed the handgun under circumstances in which the actor would have been justified in the use of deadly force under Chapter 9.
Just to keep this in perspective, there are times when a CHL can draw his weapon and then not fire it. Even though the initial "deadly force" justification must be present, it's quite possible that the threat will cease at the sight of the CHL's weapon; at that point, deadly force would no longer be authorized, but the weapon is already out in the open.

Kevin

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
txinvestigator wrote:I got in on this late, and I did not read every post, so forgive me if I repeat something.

9.04 is clear, and from a former LEO's perspective I can tell you this. AS a cop I drew my weapon MANY people I was not justified in using deadly force against at the time. My doing so was not deadly force. It was force, and it was used to effect an arrest.

We aren't talking about LEO's as they are not subject to TPC 46.035(a), only CHL’s.

TPC 46.035(a) makes it illegal for a CHL to intentionally fail to conceal his handgun. The only exception to this is found in TPC 46.035(h) which states:

The McDermott case quoted in full held precisely this, in spite of the defendant's attempt to rely upon TPC 9.04.

Also, as to LEO's using the threat of deadly force to effect an arrest, this authority comes not from TPC 9.04 alone, but from TPC 9.51 which states in part:
SUBCHAPTER E. LAW ENFORCEMENT

§ 9.51. ARREST AND SEARCH. (a) A peace officer, or a
person acting in a peace officer's presence and at his direction, is
justified in using force against another when and to the degree the
actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to
make or assist in making an arrest or search, or to prevent or
assist in preventing escape after arrest, if:
(1) the actor reasonably believes the arrest or search
is lawful or, if the arrest or search is made under a warrant, he
reasonably believes the warrant is valid; and
(2) before using force, the actor manifests his
purpose to arrest or search and identifies himself as a peace
officer or as one acting at a peace officer's direction, unless he
reasonably believes his purpose and identity are already known by
or cannot reasonably be made known to the person to be arrested.
9.51 has many other provisions, but those quoted above are the authority for a LEO to use or threaten deadly force to make an arrest, or prevent an escape.

Regards,
Chas.
I agree with some of your points Charles, but I disagree that 46.035 is the ONLY justification. I believe that 9.04 DOES allow justufucation.

Scenario;

I am leaving the movies with my wife at dusk. We are walking to the car in an area of the parking lot where there are no other people. Because I am a member of Texas CHL forums ;) I am in condition yellow. I am carrying on a conversation with my wife, but also paying attention to my surroundings.

Across the lot I observe 3 older teenage boys, all wearing trench coats (its 90 degrees in Dallas) heading directly for us. They are intently looking at us. I lok around and decide that we cannot get back to the building or where there is a crowd before the teens can be on top of us.

I have us change direction to move from the teens path. They change course to keep bearing down upon us. At this time I am in condition orange. I tell my wife of my concerns and tell her to get her cell phone and dial 911, but not hit send yet.

I have us walk faster and again the teens bear down. So I suddenly wheel towards them, stop and put my left hand out towards them and state firmly and clearly, "you boys stop right there, do not come any closer. I feel threatened and you need to stay back and move around".

Verbal Commands are very low on the force continuum. If the kids mean no harm, they may mouth off, but they will not approach closer. By giving verbal commands, it becomes reasonable for me to believe that harm is imminent if they approach closer.

Rather than walk away, one of the boys begins to threaten us verbally and all three continue to aproach.

Considering the number of potential attackers, the possibility of them possessing weapons (remember the trench coats?) and them esclating the situation after my verbal commands to back away, my belief that harm is imminent has now increased.

At this point I still desire to defuse the situation without resorting to deadly force, so I pull my vest back, allowing my handgun to be visible, while I loudly instruct my wife to dial 911. I tell the teens that if they approach further I believe that they intend to assault us, that we are outnumbered and I intend to defend us completely.

From that point what happens depends on them.

I believe that my display of my frearm in that situation meets 9.04, and was justified.

The case law presented here all involve people behaving like [abbreviated profanity deleted.] and using their gun to intimidate, not for actual safety.

Again, all of this is my just humble opinion.
*CHL Instructor*

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

txinvestigator:

Based upon your scenario, I believe you are probably justified in using deadly force. You have more than verbal provocation. In fact the scenario you described is very close to many I have used, gradually adding to the scenario without the assailants actually pulling a weapon. You have all the elements: disparity in numbers, pursuit (tracking your moves), duty to protect a family member, long-rider coats during the summer in Dallas (commonly used to conceal long guns), and verbal threats when you warn them to stay away (sign of aggressive intent). With all of these facts combined, I think a reasonable person would believe their life and/or the life of their wife was in danger.

Let's take the 9.04 scenario to the other extreme. I'll say up front that this scenario is full of unaddressed variables, but it will suffice for this purpose. (This is the one I posted earlier, then deleted because of too many variables.)

My wife and I are in a restaurant. Sitting next to us is a couple I sued for a client and won. They don't care too much for me and the lady walks over to me and slaps me in the face. As she draws back to slap me again, I pull my pistol (relying upon TPC 9.04), intending merely to create an apprehension in her that I will use deadly force if I have to, but having no intention to shoot. Her husband has no idea I'm not going to shoot, so he pulls his gun to shoot me. It doesn't really matter what happens from here; either way I have a big problem! He can shoot me because he reasonably believes I'm going to shoot his wife without legal justification to use deadly force.

Another reason I deleted this scenario before is because it's getting too deep into criminal law for my civil trial attorney experience. :lol: However, I believe it shows how a broad reading of 9.04 regarding the threat of deadly force when you couldn't use deadly force could go sour very quickly.

It was the express language in 46.035(a) & (h) that did him in. The McDermott court also stated that 46.035(h) was the only justification for failing to conceal. One thing we know for sure is that the Dallas Court of Appeals rejected McDermott's attempt to rely upon 9.04 to beat a charge of failing to conceal a handgun in violation of 46.035(a).

Why do I feel like I have Custer Syndrom? You know, letting yourself get lured into unknown territory without the packs!

Regards,
Chas.

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:txinvestigator:

Based upon your scenario, I believe you are probably justified in using deadly force. You have more than verbal provocation. In fact the scenario you described is very close to many I have used, gradually adding to the scenario without the assailants actually pulling a weapon. You have all the elements: disparity in numbers, pursuit (tracking your moves), duty to protect a family member, long-rider coats during the summer in Dallas (commonly used to conceal long guns), and verbal threats when you warn them to stay away (sign of aggressive intent). With all of these facts combined, I think a reasonable person would believe their life and/or the life of their wife was in danger.

Let's take the 9.04 scenario to the other extreme. I'll say up front that this scenario is full of unaddressed variables, but it will suffice for this purpose. (This is the one I posted earlier, then deleted because of too many variables.)

My wife and I are in a restaurant. Sitting next to us is a couple I sued for a client and won. They don't care too much for me and the lady walks over to me and slaps me in the face. As she draws back to slap me again, I pull my pistol (relying upon TPC 9.04), intending merely to create an apprehension in her that I will use deadly force if I have to, but having no intention to shoot. Her husband has no idea I'm not going to shoot, so he pulls his gun to shoot me. It doesn't really matter what happens from here; either way I have a big problem! He can shoot me because he reasonably believes I'm going to shoot his wife without legal justification to use deadly force.

Another reason I deleted this scenario before is because it's getting too deep into criminal law for my civil trial attorney experience. :lol: However, I believe it shows how a broad reading of 9.04 regarding the threat of deadly force when you couldn't use deadly force could go sour very quickly.

It was the express language in 46.035(a) & (h) that did him in. The McDermott court also stated that 46.035(h) was the only justification for failing to conceal. One thing we know for sure is that the Dallas Court of Appeals rejected McDermott's attempt to rely upon 9.04 to beat a charge of failing to conceal a handgun in violation of 46.035(a).

Why do I feel like I have Custer Syndrom? You know, letting yourself get lured into unknown territory without the packs!

Regards,
Chas.
Great scneario. However, I don't believe a woman slapping you is enough for you to justify the level of force that producing your handgun is. Remember that displaying your weapon under the justifications of 9.04, while not deadly force, it IS force. And I believe a degree too high for the actions against you in this scenario.

I teach that 9.04 is not a blanket justification for displaying your weapon. It is only justification when you reasonably believe that failure to display could cause the situation to deteriorate to the point of your HAVING to use deadly force.

In that case I would use an apropriate level of physical force to redirect her next attempt to hit me, while trying to keep my wife from pulling the woman's hair out. :lol:
*CHL Instructor*

oilman
Posts in topic: 3

Post by oilman »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:txinvestigator:

Based upon your scenario, I believe you are probably justified in using deadly force.
+1

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

UPDATE:

I have been doing some research on this issue and have talked with a couple of attorneys and an Assist. DA with a county in my area. (I promised not to ID anyone or the agency.) This thing is very convoluted, to say the least. By no means have I come to a final opinion on the scope of 9.04, or whether it controls over 46.035(a) & (h). However, at this stage of my research it looks like there may be a conflict within the Penal Code; i.e. §§46.035(a) & (h) and §9.04. It also appears that the McDermott case may have been wrongfully decided. It was not appealed to the Court of Criminal Appeals (the highest appellate court in Texas for criminal cases).

We on TexasCHLforum are not the only folks to have a wide divergence of opinion on this issue. The ADA with whom I spoke said he and his colleagues are discussing it in an attempt to come to a consensus. He promised to call me when they do, or if they fail to reach a consensus.

So, there seem to be opinions falling on both sides of this issue. I’ll update when I get more information.

Regards,
Chas.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

If my opinion means anything, I believe we shouldn't be concerned about anyone treading on thin ice where this issue is concerned...

I think we are all well versed in the law...Some of us tend to see how far you could "question" it from time to time, but we are no where near breaking a law by exploring the boundaries of the law...

All the "what ifs" and senario driven incidents we discuss help us give a tangible substantive feel to the issue...I like that aspect of our discussions...

What I fear the most is (and this is my personal fear) that it may harbor a hesitation where none is actually neeeded...

I surely would be remis if everytime I saw three long coated teenagers coming at me and my wife, and being verbally aggressive, not knowing at any second they may actually do something they'll regret for the last .35 seconds of their lives...That I may not actually react quick enough to thwart an attack...

If the criminal element in this country is non-collectively testing the law-abiding citizens of this country...Why should I be afraid if I decide after doing everything that has been discussed so far to deter a possible attack, and that action of mine has not generated the deterrent I require...

Then why should I be afraid to draw my weapon and be very near expelling/repelling an attack with the use of deadly force...

I do not think, and I certainly should be corrected if I am wrong, but the drawing of a firearm (not discharging it at this point) to defend ones self is against the law...If thats what it takes to actually save some poor saps life, and make them think twice before attempting to victimize someone else...Then I think I have done someone a favor...And actually acted within the intent of the law...

If I have to shoot someone because they do not think I have the resolve to "stop" someone in that manner...Well ain't that just a bunch of spilt milk...I don't ever look forward to something like that happening...I have accepted the responsibility, and have also accepted being accountable in all aspects of my actions...I cannot see (but am always open to build upon) anyway to improve on that idea...

I hate to be so verbose in my ruminations, but thats just what I am getting out of all of this...

I'm certainly not condoning drawing a weapon as a first means to ward off a crime against me...But I certainly don't expect to be held liable for drawing on a threat (when I feel it is warranted), and that threat cowering away because their act failed to give them what they expected...

If I am reading too much into this, I would like to know...Y'all just pressed the right button today...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

BTW Charles...

I would love to be able to bring some semblance of what I just wrote to that ADA buddy of yours...

I would approach it from the standpoint of "I am not looking for a blessing of this idea", I am just looking to interject a layman's opinion (view) on a legal discussion to see if it brings about a different take on the conflict...If it really is an issue...

Nor am I trying to make policy either...
:lol:
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

I went back and read the first post...

And my take is that the "appellant" acted aggressively and escalated the incident...

The fact that he displayed his weapon after enticing the woman to "get out of her vehicle"...Even at that point he was not in anyway to the point he should use deadly force...

It should never have gotten that far...

"Reasonable" people do not act in this manner, and he should have been thoroughly penalized for his part in this incident...

His part in enticing an act of aggression against him should not in anyway been reason for him to warrant a self-defense action on his part...

txinvestigator's senario is totally different from the case file...

I just don't see any of us enticing another person, just so we can draw our weapon and scare them to death...Or hope they are so angry as to continue an attack and we are then forced to shoot that person...To me that is obviously a big no no...And you should be punished for that...

Man, I can't believe how much this pushed my button today...
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

UPDATE

UPDATE:

Kyle and I have been sending PM's and each have been trying to get more information and opinions on the scope of TPC §9.04. Here is an update of our efforts.

Kyle has spoken to ADA's, law enforcement personnel and DPS attorneys who opine that TPC §9.04 sufficiently broad as to allow a person to threaten the use of deadly force, even if the use of deadly force would not be justified, so long as the person's motive was solely to create apprehension in the other person that deadly force would be used, if it became necessary.

I have spoken to criminal defense attorneys and an ADA in the Galveston County DA's office who had a "round table" with his fellow prosecutors. They believe that the degree of force you can threaten is equal only to the degree of force you would be justified is using. In short, if you can't use deadly force, you can't threaten deadly force, regardless of your motive.

I have spoken with a criminal law professor with the South Texas College of Law about the scope of §9.04. He said there is no case law on this issue in Texas (I know, I looked myself), but it is common in the U.S. for penal codes to allow the threat of deadly force to defuse a situation, even when the use of deadly force would not be justified. He also said there was such a provision in the Model Penal Code (this is a guideline, but has no authority) that allows such threats. I’m going to try to find it when I have time.

I believe Kyle is correct and §9.04 is broader than I first believed, but we won't know for sure, until there is additional case law on this specific portion of §9.04. So, it looks like the McDermott case may have been wrongfully decided. Unfortunately it's still the law until either the TPC is changed with regard to §46.035(a) [Intentional failure to conceal], or another case works it's way through the appellate courts to the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals. Here's another item for my proposed 2007 Texas Legislative Agenda!

Caveat: The fact that Galveston County DA's office views TPC §9.04 narrowly is an indication that other DA's may do so as well, leaving a CHL or anyone else subject to prosecution, even of 46.035(a) is amended.

Regards,
Chas.

the real deal
Posts in topic: 1

Post by the real deal »

It is just plain rediculous that this much speculationa dn debate is necessary to come to a conclusion on our ability to protect ourselves using a firearm we are licensed to carry.

I will tell you this, regardless of the translation, if I feel it is my final moment to protect myself, it's coming out. Forget just pulling the shirt back to show you have it, it will be in hand.

The age old saying.... I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6....

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”