Dallas homeowner in shootout with attempted armed robbers

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

tomneal
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Dallas homeowner in shootout with attempted armed robbers

Post by tomneal »

some basic question about security surveillance systems

What kind of wiring requirements?
- Power supply for camera?
- Cable from camera to recorder?

What kind of recorder?
- A PC with a very large hard drive?
- Something else?

Where do you put the recorder?
- In the home office
- Under the TV with the other TV boxes
- In the secure 'closet'

Four cameras would let me record:
- 5'x5' front porch, front door, mail box
- 2 car garage
- Drive way
- Back gate / outside AC compressor

Do basic systems allow you to add more cameras later?

Do they allow you to upgrade from "$100" beginner cameras to the latest 'Whiz bang' camera later?
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

TheCytochromeC
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TheCytochromeC »

tomneal wrote:some basic question about security surveillance systems

What kind of wiring requirements?
- Power supply for camera?
- Cable from camera to recorder?

What kind of recorder?
- A PC with a very large hard drive?
- Something else?

Where do you put the recorder?
- In the home office
- Under the TV with the other TV boxes
- In the secure 'closet'

Four cameras would let me record:
- 5'x5' front porch, front door, mail box
- 2 car garage
- Drive way
- Back gate / outside AC compressor

Do basic systems allow you to add more cameras later?

Do they allow you to upgrade from "$100" beginner cameras to the latest 'Whiz bang' camera later?
I chose POE (Power over Ethernet) cameras. The Ethernet cable provides the power and transfers the image data. If you want sound you'll need another wire (if I'm not mistaken).

I chose a NVR (network Video Recorder) It's a recorder that connects to the internet which you can access from basically anything with an internet connection. There are companies that have Apps available so you can watch them or view your playback remotely. Most NVRs come stock witha 2 TB hard drive but you can add more memory with another hard drive. You need at least a computer monitor to view the interface and display of the NVR.

You place the NVR in a location that is secure and convenient. I reinforced my closet and bolted a NVR lockbox to it. I know someone who had a hole behind their TV from when TV's used to be big boxy things. Anyways, He put his newer flatscreen TV on industrial rollers and put his NVR behind the TV. SO if you were looking around for it, you'd have a hard time finding it.

I would start with an 8 channel NVR. If you need four cameras, you have room to add more. If you need 6 cameras but only have a four channel NVR you're SOL. It's hard to say what a camera will and won't let you view. It's better to have them in hand and view their image at different times of the day. Say, this spot is great for viewing my mailbox but right at sunset the camera gets blinded. That won't do you any good then. It's best to get feedback before you secure them more permanently.

I made sure to get the same brand for cameras and NVRs. They tend to be easier to use and are much more compatible to change or upgrade.

I bought mine through Nelly Security. They're in OK or N. TX, I forget. Their customer service was fantastic and they helped me set up my App and web address to view remotely.

TheCytochromeC
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TheCytochromeC »

RoadRunnerTR21 wrote:Let me also add one more to the previous poster's excellent description of the NVR and cameras. When deciding on the location of the NVR, keep in mind that the unit is a bit noisy. So I would avoid putting it in your bedroom or some other location where you want total silence. We have our in our office with all other computer stuff. The noise blends in well.
This is an important detail to consider. There will be a constant hum from fans and a noticeable amount of heat generated from the set up so make sure there's enough ventilation.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”