Comp-Tac

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Comp-Tac

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I need to give a shout out for this company. I use their products for IDPA, but had not considered them for EDC since I am a bit of a holster snob and prefer all leather products.

I recently acquired a CZ Shadow Tactical model (no rail) and was having a really hard time finding a good holster. I specifically wanted a model that is easy to take on and off without removing my belt. I looked at Comp-Tac's web site, and found the Gladiator model which seemed perfect. While there I also picked up a couple of these mag carriers that have a similar ease of use.

http://www.comp-tac.com/outside-the-wai ... ster-10220

http://www.comp-tac.com/magazine-pouche ... ouch-10622

I found the package in my mailbox last night and was pleased to see that everything seems to be of high quality and the hybrid holster holds my gun right where I like it, nice and tight to my body, while still being very easy to get on and off.

But that's not what inspired this post. A retention / adjustment screw on one of the mag carriers was too loose and it actually fell off when I opened the package. Try as I might, I could not get the thing back in. You need a vise, or 3 hands. I dreaded making the call to Comp-Tac fearing that they would accuse me of causing the issue by loosening the screw too much, etc. But when I called, they just verified the model and upon hearing the issue immediately shipped out a replacement along with a pre-paid shipping label for the original.

This company isn't the cheapest option out there, but they have good products, great customer service, and they support IDPA. I would encourage y'all to give them a look the next time you are in the market for anything holster related.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Comp-Tac

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I've used their gear for years. I've carried my 1911s in Comp-Tac Infidel IWB holster since before they were added to the product line. (I burglarized their R&D section. Not really, Greg wanted me to try one.) I have several other models also, but the Infidel is my favorite.

Chas.

TresHuevos

Post by TresHuevos »

I own 5 Comp-Tac Minotaurs and 1 Infidel. I have a Stealth Gear IWB holster but I found that the Comp-Tacs give me a better "tuck" on my shirts when I wear my work clothes. Great products.
"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic deeds." - C.S. Lewis
My State Rep Joe Moody is a liberal puke who won't even acknowledge my communications with him. How about yours?

TVGuy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TVGuy »

I own several from them and they are all great! Houston company as well.

goose

Post by goose »

I own two Infidel Ultras and a Minotaur. I agree that they aren't the cheapest option but they just work.
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

rentz

Post by rentz »

love comp-tac, anytime i buy a new brand of holster to try i always end up back to the comptac infidel ultra and minotaur
theyve got friendly staff and the shippings super fast

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

I'm still looking for a holster for my new M&P M2.0 with 5" barrel, need to see if Comp-Tac has one that will cover the entire barrel.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Skiprr »

I'll add my support for Comp-Tac, as well. I have a couple of all-leather holsters I use for OWB for time to time, but all my IWB and competition holsters are Comp-Tac. My go-to IWB choice is is the MTAC (formerly, the Minotaur).

Some interesting history. There are a number of makers of hybrid leather-Kydex holsters that imply, if not outright state, the original idea was theirs. The true story is that it originated about 11 years ago in conversations among Tucker (Tucker Gunleather), Rob Longenecker (also of Tucker Gunleather), and Gregg Garrett (who founded a holster company in Houston that subsequently became Comp-Tac Victory Gear). Collectively, they came up with the notion of melding quality leather and molded Kydex to maximize on the strengths of each: leather was strong yet supple, molded itself slightly to the contours of the wearer, and was comfortable against the body; Kydex was rigid and never collapsed after the gun was removed, could be molded with great precision to individual firearms, could be tension-adjusted for retention, and afforded a stable, repeatable draw time after time.

The result was Tucker's "The Answer." Tucker made the leather, Garrett made all the Kydex components. There was a naming contest in the spring of 2006 for the wholly new hybrid that included some headscratchers like the "Tool Shed." Thankfully, though, "The Answer" won out.

Garrett rapidly expanded production at Comp-Tac as the demand for competition Kydex holsters grew. Today, more competitors in the IDPA Nationals use Comp-Tac than any other brand of holster.

Gregg came out with the Comp-Tac CTAC: not exactly what we think of today as a leather/Kydex hybrid, it was a Kydex holster that used leather cross-struts to attach the Kydex belt clips to the body of the holster, allowing flex and give for comfort that Kydex alone couldn't provide. Then he rethought "The Answer," did some tweaking, and the Minotaur was born.

So if you see any claims about some holster maker or another being the first to place a Kydex body on leather backing and coming up with the idea of the hybrid, now you know.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Crossbreed was incorporated in 2005, so I am not to sure of the " true" story.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

WTR wrote:Crossbreed was incorporated in 2005, so I am not to sure of the " true" story.
Comp-Tac was incorporated on Feb. 7, 2003. As Skiprr noted, Comp-Tac wasn't the first company that Gregg operated for manufacturing Kydex holsters.

You might want to consider apologizing to Skiprr. It would be a very good idea.

Chas.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Nah. I may have the year wrong. Rob Longenecker and Gregg Garrett used to contribute to the Forum; maybe they'll see this and straighten out my timeline.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Skiprr wrote:Nah. I may have the year wrong. Rob Longenecker and Gregg Garrett used to contribute to the Forum; maybe they'll see this and straighten out my timeline.
You said "about 11 years ago," so that was an estimate. I checked the Tex. Secretary of State website and got the date of incorporation. That was two years earlier than WTR said Crossbreed was incorporated. Plus, as you noted, Gregg first operated under a different name.

Chas.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
WTR wrote:Crossbreed was incorporated in 2005, so I am not to sure of the " true" story.
Comp-Tac was incorporated on Feb. 7, 2003. As Skiprr noted, Comp-Tac wasn't the first company that Gregg operated for manufacturing Kydex holsters.

You might want to consider apologizing to Skiprr. It would be a very good idea.

Chas.
I intended no offense. However , Skipper stated about 11 years ago and Crossbreed incorporated in 05. Therefore, I wonder about the " true" store.

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

I like my Flatline holsters from Comp-Tac. Although I've got one (M&P9) I'm waiting for an RMA. Saw a lot of use last year and it's developed a bad crack.

My dad's got some very early holsters of theirs with the name/model handwritten on the backside. They've come a long way.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Skiprr wrote:Nah. I may have the year wrong. Rob Longenecker and Gregg Garrett used to contribute to the Forum; maybe they'll see this and straighten out my timeline.
You said "about 11 years ago," so that was an estimate. I checked the Tex. Secretary of State website and got the date of incorporation. That was two years earlier than WTR said Crossbreed was incorporated. Plus, as you noted, Gregg first operated under a different name.

Chas.
Well, mea culpa. I was off by almost two years. Sorry, folks; I'll check more diligently next time. I was going off personal memory only, which is not a wise thing to do unless in casual conversation. :???:

From the Tucker Gunleather website (http://www.tuckergunleather.com/testimonials/):
"The Answer" lived up to it's name.

"Just thought I'd share my opinions on my newest holster, "The Answer" IWB from Tucker Gunleather. I've selected a Sig P228 as my carry gun because it just plain "does it" for me. My concern was the concealability as the Sig is a tad blocky. Well "The Answer" lived up to it's name, I've been wearing it all day and it is very very comfortable. The Sig has virtually melted away and I can't make the [darn] thing print. Speed-wise this has to be one of the fastest IWB holsters available anywhere. Anyway, great holster, I highly recommend Tucker Gunleather, and Rob is a pleasure to talk to."

Mike 1911Forum 01/24/2004
So I'll start over by saying that, sometime in 2003, Tucker, Rob Longenecker, and Gregg Garrett got together....

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”